PDA

View Full Version : Disabled Marines To Go The Distance In Triathlon

thedrifter
03-16-08, 08:05 AM
Disabled Marines To Go The Distance In Triathlon
MIAMI (CBS4) ―

The war on terror has meant many South Florida troops are returning home with serious and debilitating injures. In 2004, Marine Cpl.Dan Lasko's life changed forever in Afghanistan, when his vehicle ran over two roadside bombs.

"When the vehicle exploded, I pretty much lost my left foot," said Lasko. "I was conscious, I saw everything, When I looked down, I couldn't get up or move, I didn't fell anything because the adrenaline was just going through my body just being in shock."

Doctors in Maryland amputated his leg from the knee down.

"It was kind of what am I gonna do now, what is my future gonna hold for me now," explained Lasko.

Lasko joined the Injured Marine Semper FI Fund: a group of other marines with amputations, spinal cord, and brain injuries. The team travels the country racing in triathlons and other athletic events.

"My first event was a half iron man," said Lasko. "No training nothing didn't know what to expect long distance swimming, biking and running. I came in last place during the swim but never gave up."

The victory in the accomplishment and the eyes of his fellow marines: "I pushed myself though to finish it, I just thought about the guys that are in the hospital now, knowing what they're going through knowing what I went through and that motivates me to do these races and to finish these races for other injured marines."

Sunday the team will complete in the Olympic distance triathlon in Miami.

Lasko will swim without his prosthetic and has two different prosthetics to change out, for the running and biking portions of the race.

Ellie