PDA

View Full Version : Offered a job

ethanphoto
03-12-08, 03:45 PM
Hello, I am Ethan I am not even sure that I have made a post yet, I am basically a lurker. I am leaving for bootcamp April 6 and have a contract for 1812 (armor). My Staff Sergeant called today about taking another job, CK (forward observer) because another recruit did not score high on his ASVAB and only qualifies for Armor, Infanry, and Admin. So the Staff Sergeant got a CK slot from orange county if I am willing to take it so the other guy can have armor. I live in the middle of Oregon and it kinda impresses me that there are so few CK slots that it had to come from SOCAL. My recruiters are pretty strieght shooters and I am pretty sure they are not blowing smoke up my but. Another thing although im not sure it will really effect my decision is that only a few people can get this job because of the Secret clearence.
I am curious as to what you think of this and weather or not you would take the job.

I am inclined to take it but I want second opinions.

Ethan

rvillac2
03-12-08, 04:21 PM
Are you saying that you're getting a contract specifically for 0861? Are you Reserve?

Don't pass that up. It's one of the coolest jobs in the Corps. Very challenging and academically difficult.

rvillac2
03-12-08, 04:22 PM
Oh, and did I mention that this is a Jump qualified MOS?

OB MSG
03-12-08, 04:28 PM
I was a spark chasin' 2871, but I knew a guy, (who's actually on here) who was an F.O. He thought it was awesome, and loved every minute of it. If your gut says go, then jump for it. The clearance and jump qual are a huge plus as well.

ethanphoto
03-12-08, 04:33 PM
Are you saying that you're getting a contract specifically for 0861? Are you Reserve?

I am going regular. I am not sure if it is specifically 0861 I am going into the station tomarrow it may be 08XX.

Ethan

rvillac2
03-12-08, 05:02 PM
Oh, well. So much for guarantees.
Do well in recruit training. Get high scores in Prac/PFT/Rifle and Pros/Cons. That's the only way they can pick you for the very few 0861 spots available. Even if you have a high ASVAB, they won't let you go with a low PFT. You must be first class for Jump school.

ethanphoto
03-12-08, 05:12 PM
I am second class now i suspect i will be 1st class out of boot camp.