PDA

View Full Version : My future in the Core/Security Forces.

Papadubya
03-12-08, 12:33 AM
Hello everyone, my name is Wes Black. This is my first official thread on here and would like to say I really like this message board. I am visiting it daily now. My post isn't per say a very specific one but more open to people saying whatever they want. I go to Parris Island in Sept. with a Security Forces contract (I'm aware it's technically an infantry contract). I scored a 90 on the ASVAB, I have a completely clean criminal record with the exception of two speeding tickets. I have never used illegal drugs in my life and am scoring 2nd class PFT's right now (I plan on being able to score a 1st class before boot). I like the fact that there are both Presidential Security and FAST options open to me but realize the long process for being able to qualify for these jobs. My question to other Marines is what is your personal opinion on what I could potentially qualify for in the future? If you had to guess what kind of direction you would see someone like me going, what would it be? Please feel free to say whatever comes to your mind or anything you would helpful to me. Thanks!

rvillac2
03-12-08, 01:57 AM
What's a Core?

Isrowei
03-12-08, 02:12 AM
We don't know you. How can we suggest a future direction for your life?

Here's a thought. Which do you like to use more: Your back or your brain? If your back, go infantry. If your brain, find something more technical.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years? Do you plan to do college? If so, how? Will you pay for it? What would you like to study? What do you plan to do after the Marine Corps?

These are things you need to think about.

Papadubya
03-12-08, 02:06 PM
Sorry about the mispelling of Corps. I wasn't really going for suggestions of my life I guess but more of what have you seen people similar to me go on to do especially in Security Forces? I guess that was a pretty noob thread, I DID write it way too late at night haha.

OB MSG
03-12-08, 02:13 PM
You play online video games don't you? (Noob!) :D

As to your original post. I agree with the LT, you need to sit down and think really hard on where you see yourself going and what you want to get out of this life and your time in the Corps.

Also, you bet your flabby backside you'll have a 1st class PFT before Boot! (Keep working, you'll get it!)

Papadubya
03-12-08, 02:25 PM
Haha Call of Duty 4? Yeah well I decided to join up because I wanted my life to be a challenge, I never really fit in anywhere else, and I wanted to serve my country with the best of the best. I'm a very smart kid but I'm also very physically fit so a job that challenges me a lot in both areas would seem to be ideal. I also like responsibility and I like the idea of representing the Marine Corps to the best of my ability. I decided for now to stick with Security Forces because I thought I should take advantage of my complete lack of a criminal or moral background and my smarts. The training and opportunities it offers is what really attracted me to it I think. We'll see if something else comes up though. Anyone have any other potential MOS suggestions?

ZSKI
03-12-08, 02:41 PM
HE OPS is my Mos in the civillian world a journeymen operator can make 30 an hour you only need certain hours on the gear which the Marine will track for you if you ask for the apprenticeship program. Master grater operators can make 100 an hour.