PDA

View Full Version : Typical day for a grunt

Drock54
03-11-08, 08:49 AM
I am currently signed up to leave on 20080818 and my MOS is 03xx. I was wondering if there were any Marines that could give my what the typical day for a grunt would be like. Now I fully understand that it would be different if you were in Iraq or the country was at war. But what would you do most of the time Stateside or about being in Iraq would be awesome. I dont plan on changing my mind just want to know a little be about what I'm going to be doing with my life while im in the Corps.

Quinbo
03-11-08, 09:02 AM
I think I have seem a similar thread posted here with the exact same title

Crusader20
03-11-08, 11:31 AM
Bulkyker You are correcct. There has been a post like this.

Drock54, I would look at the previous threads and see if you can get some answers from them.

Drock54
03-11-08, 12:21 PM
Bulkyker You are correcct. There has been a post like this.

Drock54, I would look at the previous threads and see if you can get some answers from them.

Sorry, I didnt have alot of time to look sorry about making a similar post I know its in Rules. Thank you

SGT7477
03-11-08, 02:17 PM
Let's get it squared away, pushups ready begin until I'm tired.

JordanB
03-11-08, 05:56 PM
you'll be in the field for a week training, the next week youll be back doing administrative bull**** and getting ****faced in the barracks, and then it repeats.

SlingerDun
03-11-08, 06:23 PM
He's sorry cause he doesn't have a lot of time to look, to investigate, to research the occupation he may be spending the next 4 years of his life chained to. Something more important going on? Busy getting to the next world war craft level? Or is it the ADD/ADHD/NDGDT cant concentrate do it for me please.

Drock54
03-12-08, 08:44 AM
He's sorry cause he doesn't have a lot of time to look, to investigate, to research the occupation he may be spending the next 4 years of his life chained to. Something more important going on? Busy getting to the next world war craft level? Or is it the ADD/ADHD/NDGDT cant concentrate do it for me please.

Actually no I did some research on it I just wanted to find out how much of it was BS. So i figured I'd asked the people who knew the most on the topic. And I would have looked through ALL 60 some pages of threads if i had not ran out of time I was in a hurry and just posted it quickly. Thank you gentlemen for your help

SlingerDun
03-12-08, 04:57 PM
OIC how did you cypher the truth to BS ratio

Drock54
03-12-08, 07:53 PM

it was better from you guys some of the other stuff that i was told by other people and by some of the other stuff I was told by some people and some websites was Refuted by you guys. I have girlfriend whos stepdad is going overseas to Afghanistan on the 24 of this month hes in the airforce but hes going through army training and hes telling me to second guess my decision about infantry there is no way thats happening I wanted that MOS for a reason so im sticking with it because its what I want to do...whether the BS proved to be true or false or anything you guys said wasnt going to change my mind about my choice. So thank you for the info gentlemen

Drock54
03-12-08, 07:53 PM

it was better from you guys some of the other stuff that i was told by other people and by some of the other stuff I was told by some people and some websites was Refuted by you guys. I have girlfriend whos stepdad is going overseas to Afghanistan on the 24 of this month hes in the airforce but hes going through army training and hes telling me to second guess my decision about infantry there is no way thats happening I wanted that MOS for a reason so im sticking with it because its what I want to do...whether the BS proved to be true or false or anything you guys said wasnt going to change my mind about my choice. So thank you for the info gentlemen

chili77bowl
03-13-08, 10:34 AM
Asking us to decypher the BS for you is like asking the fox to watch the hen house while you go take a leak...

We shoot as straight as possible with you, but also we get tired of typing the same stuff and tend to get sarcastic and mean....and it's at that point that we shovel some BS ourselves....

thewookie
03-13-08, 12:11 PM
I don't really think there's a typical day in the Corps, especially in your first contract, and definitely not in the grunts.

What your girlfriends step-dads mothers uncle brother does or is doing or told you is all fine and dandy. But you're not going to have the same exact path as anyone, nevermind some guy in the air force.

You have to keep the stories you hear about "this or that" in perspective. And then ask yourself,,was the guy telling me the story in the Marines, was he active or reserve, does he seem like a sh*t bag or good guy, and on and on. If you're getting info from a guy in the air force, doing training with the army, how much do you really think he knows first hand about daily life in the Corps? All he's doing is hearing stories from who knows, and or seeing things and then relaying what he saw to you. That's a bogus source to me. So don't tell us about it.

WalkingMan
03-14-08, 05:40 PM
I am currently signed up to leave on 20080818 and my MOS is 03xx. I was wondering if there were any Marines that could give my what the typical day for a grunt would be like. Now I fully understand that it would be different if you were in Iraq or the country was at war. But what would you do most of the time Stateside or about being in Iraq would be awesome. I dont plan on changing my mind just want to know a little be about what I'm going to be doing with my life while im in the Corps.

I was a 2533 Radio-Telegraph Operator and served primarily as a Grunt, and with Grunts for all my time in service.

My first non-school duty station was with Bravo 1/3 point FO Team on Viet Nam, as radio operator/back-up FO, and that set the tone for everything that followed... a lot of time out of doors training, humping hills, running, swimming, doing PT... pretty decent duty if you like physical stuff and being out in the elements, and Grunt Officers, once broken in, are generally less chickensh*t than non-Grunt Officers.

When 1/3 stood down, our tours weren't up, so the Team remained in northern I Corps, working with Recon, ARVN, ROK and Navy elements on various ops, until it was time for us to rotate Stateside.

Then I was an Officer Candidate Instructor at Quantico, which was again, Grunt Work, but with spit-shined boots and starched utilities.

Finally I wrapped up my service with 3rd Amtracks Bn at MCAS Hawaii, which was pretty nice duty, and while not strictly Grunt, meant working with Grunts just the same, plus I got a lot of time on and in the water, which was just fine with me.

I stayed in Hawaii for a couple years after I left service, and did some surfing, too. I might still be there too, if it wasn't so expensive... Yikes!