PDA

View Full Version : MOS Questions HELP !!!

tommy1150
04-18-03, 03:44 PM
I would like some info on these three different MOS programs

1 - Infintry
2 - Security Forces
3 - Cryptologic Linguist

The only difference I saw in this booklet I got between Infintry & Security Forces is; in Infintry you can try out for Recon.

I guess my question is this, if I were to go Infintry, what do you do all day?

And the Security Forces, is that primarily MP's or something different?

The Cryptologic Linguist say I will be working on translating encrypted messages. Okay, cool, I understand that one.

One of my biggest concerns is this, if or when I get out of the Marine Corps, how will I make a living? If I choose my MOS as Cryptologic Linguist I will have computer training and with the direction the world is headed now, I think that will be a good thing. But I dont want to join the Marins for a desk job. I know it would be interesting to do but I think I really wanna lean towards something more physical, like Recon, Infantry or Security Forces.

Last question, I'm taking my ASVAB next week. Is it true that as long as I score above 50 I can choose any MOS I want? And is there any benifit to scoring a super high score? I haven't been in school for 4 years. I took the pre-asvab test and scored a 70. If I study and get a 80 or a 90 will that do anything for me? My recruiter says no but I don't believe much he has to say right now.

tommy1150@yahoo.com is my e-mail, feel free to e-mail me.

wrbones
04-18-03, 03:51 PM
Read everything in the POOL-ee Hall and Marine Mentor forums, then start on the Open Squad Bay forum, then go to Sgt Pap's Place forum. All of your answers and many you haven't even thought of yet are already there.

In the meantime, if someone's feelin' kindly, you may get a direct answer. Or not.

tommy1150
04-18-03, 03:54 PM
thank you for the reply. I've been on this web site for all of 5 minutes. I have been looking on other message boards but haven't found too many that have daily replies. I will keep look and any info you have would help out alot.

wrbones
04-18-03, 04:04 PM
We're hear to help, but ya gotta work with us a bit. Some of us are busted up, old and cranky. :D

The way I've been workin' with other POOL-ees works. It seems harsh at first but yer better for it by the time ya get to boot. You know the material and ya know why some things are the way they are before ya get there. Once ya hear that final "Dismissed!" in recruit training, you'll understand.

Plus, when I get done with ya, you'll be so far ahead of the other recruits it won't be funny!! We've had a couple of Marines report back who made PFC outta boot without the help of other programs. One made L/Cpl, I think.

The last paragraph of yer post above will be answered by SixGuns or Mikky or one of the other actiuve duty recruiters we have runnin' around. They'll give a good answer for that. Some questions of that nature can be answered by yer recruiter as well, if he has time.

The second to last paragraph is more of a prersonal choice thing on that. A lot of the information on this site an help you to make a more informed decision.

We're hear to help ya if ya wanta be helped, but ya gotta be willing to work.

USMC0311
04-18-03, 04:10 PM
the dude is a OLD man 24 wtf he gunna do when he plays the young hard chargers? <br />
<br />
:no: wisdumb iz a onederful think

thedrifter
04-18-03, 04:12 PM
I agree USMC0311 the sweetest Marine here.....LOL:D

There is lots of good info.....in the poolee section.....
Take a little time to read it.....
If you can't find what you are looking for.....then ask your question........

The Drifter

wrbones
04-18-03, 04:14 PM
Get his ass kicked and learn, mebbe! :D Had a 26 year old in my plattoon in boot. We called him "Old Man" or "Dad". He made it if I remember.

USMC0311
04-18-03, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by wrbones
Get his ass kicked and learn, mebbe! :D Had a 26 year old in my plattoon in boot. We called him "Old Man" or "Dad". He made it if I remember.

all sounds like a fantasy to me....like me being the sweetest MoFo here;)

wrbones
04-18-03, 04:31 PM
I heard that's what the ladies called ya Joe! "Sweeet Thang!" LOL.

Hell, you know me. I like to give 'em a chance to prove me wrong!

" I believe in miracles....."

USMC0311
04-18-03, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by wrbones

" I believe in miracles....."

well then ..maybe there is hope for me :thumbup:

CaptRon
04-19-03, 01:09 AM
hehehe...you guys crack me up! I was 27 when I went through boot camp--it was no sweat!! (he says as he crosses his fingers...) I was indeed referred to as the "old man" as well and the Drill Instructors never let me forget it. What made it worse was that I was probably doing better PT-wise than about half of the 18-19 year olds, so they always used me as an example. Then three years later I did it again in OCS, but there was an old mustanger GySgt older than me (31!) so he got the priviledge of the "harassment package."

As for the original question posed: Security Forces these days will get you the same training as infantry, plus some--mostly CQB, pistol, shotgun, interior guard, deadly force, anti-terrorism, some basic MP training, etc. Unless things have changed, you do a Security Forces tour for two years, and then you go to a grunt unit. If your recruiter is telling you it's an "either-or" decision, he's not really telling you the whole story. YOU WILL go to a grunt unit after your Security Forces tour.

That being said, you will probably not be able to try out for Recon until after your MCSF tour is over, but I know we had some of the Recon Marines from K-Bay come out to Pearl Harbor and run screenings on some of us. As a MCSF Marine, I'm not really sure these days what you do since the MCSF BN has changed since I went through (mid-late 1990s). I know they are primarily concerned with anti-terrorism (they are part of 4th MEB-AT), and that probably means lots and lots of CQB and NBC training. Awesome training.

They primarily guard compounds where there are nuclear weapons and/or nuclear fueling depots, but Marines no longer stand "guard duty" at regular Naval facilities or on ships, and it's the Military Police MOS that stands guard at Marine Bases, not MCSF.

I enjoyed my time in SF, despite the guard duty. Lots of good training and good people. And a great duty station! If you choose SF, try for one of the FAST Companies. They do quick reaction force and augmentation, and are likely the ones to be called if 4th MEB deploys. Otherwise, the dets are in some pretty cool locations-Rota, Naples, Bahrain...I've even heard good things about Iceland, believe it or not.

If you're a grunt, you'll train all day. You'll patrol, you'll practice your BST skills, you'll get alot of field time. It may get boring doing the same things over and over again, but ask any of these guys on this forum and they'll tell you that the extra training can save you or your buddy's life. You'll probably complain, but there's a reason behind almost everything done in the Marine Corps.

As for the crypto, I don't know much about that particular MOS-sorry.

Finally, as for what you will do when you get out, I strongly encourage you to look around the world and see just how many successful people in ANY field are former Marines. It doesn't matter what your MOS is because the Marine Corps is not a technical school. It is a leadership academy. You learn skills far and beyond what most kinds your age learn anywhere, and most organizations and businesses recognize a Marine's potential simply by the fact that he was a Marine. Don't worry about getting a job; if you excel at being a Marine, you excel at anything you do.

-Capt Ron