PDA

View Full Version : A Regional and Ethnic Cooking Recipe Swap!

thedrifter
03-10-08, 02:00 PM
A Regional and Ethnic Cooking Recipe Swap!

It’s cold outside in areas!

A perfect time to try new recipes!

What’s your specialty?

Come share it with us!

Here I'll start You off...

Ellie

LOBSTER BISQUE

2 live chicken lobsters (1 lb. each)
1 onion, coarsely chopped
1 stalk celery, coarsely chopped 1 carrot, coarsely chopped
3 bay leaves
1/2 lb. butter
2 quarts water
1/4 cup flour
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup sherry
1/4 cup brandy
white pepper and salt, to taste

Place the lobsters in a large heavy pot. Cover with salted water. Bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer 10 to 12 minutes more. Drain and plunge into cold water to arrest further cooking. Extract the meat, chop it and set it aside.
Place the lobsters’ remains in a roasting pan with the onion, celery, carrot, bay leaves and butter. Roast in a preheated 400°F oven for 45 minutes.

Remove from the oven and strain off the butter into a heavy saucepan. Place the remaining contents of the roasting pan into the 2 quarts water and boil until the liquid is reduced by half. Strain the stock.

Heat the butter in the saucepan. Add the flour and cook the roux for 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the stock and blend well. Then add the cream, Sherry and brandy.

Simmer slowly for 30 minutes. Season with white pepper and salt to taste.

Strain the bisque and add the lobster meat.

Serve immediately.

Colonial Turkey Pot Pie

Yield: 16 servings

Vegetable oil 1/2 cup
Fresh thyme, chopped, divided use 1 Tbsp.
Fresh parsley, chopped, divided use 3 Tbsp.
Medium shallot, chopped, divided use 1
Cloves garlic, chopped, divided use 4
Whole turkey, 8-lb. 1
Large white onion, diced 1
Ribs celery, diced 4
Large carrots, diced 2
Dry white wine 1 cup
Turkey stock 1 qt.
Fresh peas, shelled 1 cup
Sliced button mushrooms 1 cup
Chopped red skinned potatoes 1 cup
Heavy cream 2 cups
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Unsalted butter, softened 1/4 lb.
all-purpose flour 1/2 cup
puff pastry, cut in rounds to fit ramekins 3 lb.
Large egg, beaten with 1 teaspoon water 1

1. In a small bowl, mix together oil and 1-½ teaspoons each thyme, parsley, shallot and garlic. Reserve remaining herbs.

2. Rub oil-seasoning mixture over turkey. Place turkey on a tray, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

3. Place turkey on a rack in a shallow roasting pan in a preheated 450°F oven. Immediately reduce temperature to 350°F. Roast turkey for about 2-½ hours or until a meat thermometer inserted into the thigh reads 180°F. Remove turkey from the oven and let cool slightly. Remove skin and meat from bones. Cut turkey meat into 1-inch pieces and reserve. Discard skin and bones. Discard all but 3 tablespoons pan drippings in the roasting pan.

4. Heat drippings in pan on stove top. Add onion, celery and carrots and sauté over medium heat for 3 minutes, until tender. Add wine to deglaze pan, loosening any browned bits on pan. Add turkey stock, peas, mushrooms and potatoes. Bring to a boil over medium heat.

5. Add heavy cream and reserved thyme, parsley, shallot and garlic. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil over high heat and add shredded turkey. Bring back to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 5 minutes, until ingredients are fully cooked.

6. In a small bowl, combine the butter and flour into a paste.
Slowly stir butter-flour mixture into turkey mixture until it is combined and mixture is thickened.

7. Ladle turkey mixture into 8-ounce individual ramekins. Cover each with puff pastry circles, allowing a 1-inch overhang. Crimp pastry to edge of the bowl. Using a fork, gently prick pastry to allow steam to escape, being careful not to break the dough. Gently brush egg mixture over the surface of puff pastry. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 12 to 15 minutes, until pastry edges are brown.

sparkie
03-10-08, 07:06 PM
I am an American country chef, My wife,,,,,, An Itailian cuisine dream. Between the two of us, we can wow any tummy. From me it may be Pennsavlania dutch apple pie, or chicken and dumplings. From her it may be spagettie sauce to kill for. Too many receipes to type, and all in my head anyway.

Once when I was abt 14, I did a Thanksgiving dinner for the family, including rabbit, pheaseant, and squirrel. Of course I shot em.
I LOVE COOKING. :D :thumbup:

mike christy
03-10-08, 07:29 PM
I also love to cook/experiment in the kitchen, don't use recipe's, just root around in the fridge and cupboards, grill, fry or bake it, all is good :)

Someone did ask me about the Reuben Pizza...I made it as a joke a couple years ago, now I have to make a couple every year for the family celebration.:beer:

4 - 5 lb corned beef brisket cooked 24 hrs @ 250 along with 2 large head cabbage shredded, 5 cups water, 4 shots Bushmills Irish Whiskey, salt & pepper to taste.

Get 4 frozen rye bread dough loaves , thaw & let rise on buttered cookie sheets, spread out and prebake crust @ 375 for 10 min.

cover 2 of the crusts with 1000 island dressing, shredded corned beef & cabbage & thinly sliced swiss cheese, cover those with the 2 other crusts, bake in 375 oven until cheese melts, serve warm.

Grab a pint of Guinness & enjoy.

jindc
03-10-08, 08:32 PM
experimenting in the kitchen is the way to go.

I make a killer Kung Pao tofu (sorry, I don't eat meat...but I can cook it and apprently it's very good). The kung pao is so good and spicy, and the leftovers are even better.

In terms of steak (since I'm probably in the veggie minority here), the best way I've ever prepared it (so I have been told) is by rubbing it with fresh garlic, then patting salt, pepper, and smoked paprika on it. Grilled/broiled, rave reviews.

I make a wicked good risotto. It's a pain the rear to make sometimes, but the reward is worth it. Feed it to someone you love, and it's like a hug on the inside!

The one thing I wish i could do as well as my mom is traditional old school Jewish food. I'm so used to my grandma and mom making everything, that I never learned. There's still time, though.

sparkie
03-10-08, 08:43 PM
Tonight,,,,,, catfish caught out of Lake Mead Sunday.8 of em. In a foil tent on the barbie with lemon, butter, and a few rings of onion. Good catch,,, Avg 2.5 lbs ea. Ouch,;] Jealous?????? Family LOVED it. I am THE Chef.

mike christy
03-10-08, 08:56 PM
Tonight,,,,,, catfish caught out of Lake Mead Sunday.8 of em. In a foil tent on the barbie with lemon, butter, and a few rings of onion. Good catch,,, Avg 2.5 lbs ea. Ouch,;] Jealous?????? Family LOVED it. I am THE Chef.

YOU ARE THE MAN/CHEF Send any leftovers my way