PDA

View Full Version : Glasses at Boot Camp

mass
03-09-08, 06:35 PM
Hello,

Well, I have decent vision, but not 20/20 without correction. What do you have to score on the eye exam to get bc glasses, like do your eyes have to be pretty bad? and if you are issued them, are you required to wear them at all times? I was thinking that I'll only need them for rifle qual, and class room type settings. Would I be allowed to only wear them on these occasions?

Thank you.

BR34
03-09-08, 07:59 PM
Why?

Phantom Blooper
03-09-08, 08:02 PM
Do a search there are plenty more!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58267&highlight=Glasses

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59962&highlight=Glasses

And if your eyes need corrective lenses you will be issued them and you will be required to wear them.:evilgrin:

kaboom1371
03-09-08, 08:15 PM
I can see his point. nobody wants to always where the beat me F*ck me's. The good news is you can get your own frames that are authorized to wear after boot.

ZSKI
03-09-08, 08:32 PM
i didn't have to wear them in boot, they don't give a **** atleast for my platoon only if it affected your performance.

Phantom Blooper
03-09-08, 08:36 PM
only if it affected your performance

The last time I thought about it.... if you can't shoot or read...it effects your performance.:evilgrin:

mass
03-09-08, 09:51 PM
Thanks everyone.

But, I am nearsighted. So other then rifle week are there times when we need to see things pretty far away?

Parker-0321
03-10-08, 12:00 AM
Unless you are blind without them, wearing them or not is at your discretion.

TJR1070
03-10-08, 08:29 AM
Don't be stupid, if you need glasses wear them. You will not be told what is on the training schedule and could need them at various parts of the day. You could keep them in your cargo pocket but with all the other crap that will be in your cargo pockets they might get broken. Also I don't know but I don't think I would want to do the confidence course with my glasses in my pocket. Lastly what do you care? Are you planning on meeting a hot female recruit? Boot camp is for training civilians to become basically trained Marines, so sure start by deciding what you think you need.

Artemis
03-10-08, 12:05 PM
Don't be stupid. If you need glasses wear them. You are not there to make a fashion statement or to try and look cute for the girls so stop whinning about wearing BCGs.

Camper51
03-10-08, 12:26 PM
The Marine Corps will have your eyes tested. If you need glasses it will issue them. If you want to be a dumba$$ and not wear them then you deserve exactly what you get. As was stated you can go out and buy your own glasses after boot camp with your own money.

I had mine issued in boot camp and trust me the old BC glasses were much uglier than what you get now. After I got to my first duty station I also got sunglasses because of a light sensitivity. I didn't buy civvie glasses until after I had been in for four years. Why? Because I was too d*mn cheap to pay for em and the free ones worked just fine since I wasn't too vain about wearing them and I really had no problems with women either, if they didn't like em I really didn't give a crap...

mass
03-10-08, 02:50 PM
It's not about how I look in them. I could careless about how I look or how I look around girls. I'm saying this because whenever I wear glasses for running or working out I feel it hinders my performance.

Phantom Blooper
03-10-08, 03:25 PM
What does wearing glasses on your head...eyes....with a bungee strap....have to do with the performance of your legs and upper body muscles while working out? I am not seeing the hindering factor....please explain.:evilgrin:

ZSKI
03-10-08, 04:20 PM
The last time I thought about it.... if you can't shoot or read...it effects your performance.:evilgrin:

well thats true staff sargeant i did wear them durring rifle range but other then that i was fine without them.

Artemis
03-10-08, 04:24 PM
In the fleet you can go see the eye Doc and get a pair of regular looking glasses. They have about 15 different frame options to chose from and they are actually really nice. Especially compared to BCGs.

Phantom Blooper
03-10-08, 04:26 PM
But, I am nearsighted. So other then rifle week are there times when we need to see things pretty far away?

Yep,when that little Tasmanian Drill Instructor comes out of nowhere and is in your face....if you see him coming you MIGHT be able to brace yourself!

Just wear the glasses and pretend your Clark Kent and you are working on your super powers.:evilgrin:

Phantom Blooper
03-10-08, 04:33 PM
class room type settings

Boot camp may have changed in 35 years but I am sure you still have a little red book or green monster to study essential subjects and you have to see charts and chalk boards.......:evilgrin:

Cash2053
03-10-08, 04:55 PM
I hated wearing them. Every time I wore them I would get messed with. They were way to big for my face. They would come up to me and say my glasses were so thick that I could see the future. One day my DI came up to me and asked what was happening tomorrow, and me being the scribe I knew and told him. I think I was on the quarter deck for an hour or so for that one.

SGT7477
03-10-08, 04:59 PM
I hated them black things too but I took them off for the platoon picture and also the dress blue picture I just miss wearing them,lmfao.

SGT7477
03-10-08, 05:02 PM
Hello,

Well, I have decent vision, but not 20/20 without correction. What do you have to score on the eye exam to get bc glasses, like do your eyes have to be pretty bad? and if you are issued them, are you required to wear them at all times? I was thinking that I'll only need them for rifle qual, and class room type settings. Would I be allowed to only wear them on these occasions?

Thank you.
Just wear the damn things and work on getting the title, glasses are the little thing getting the title is the big thing it could always be worse like wearing high heals.:evilgrin:

mass
03-10-08, 06:22 PM
What does wearing glasses on your head...eyes....with a bungee strap....have to do with the performance of your legs and upper body muscles while working out? I am not seeing the hindering factor....please explain.:evilgrin:

It's the comfort factor. Going 17 years with running and working out without glasses to with them is a new thing. I tried using a pair while out running and I was not comfortable at all. They kept me preoccupied with them falling off and adjusting them all the time.

Phantom Blooper
03-10-08, 06:45 PM
I answered it..I'm done! Boot camp is not comfortable.:beer:

SGT7477
03-10-08, 06:51 PM
It's the comfort factor. Going 17 years with running and working out without glasses to with them is a new thing. I tried using a pair while out running and I was not comfortable at all. They kept me preoccupied with them falling off and adjusting them all the time.
You will get brain straps, I can't believe the little sheet bothers you, you have alot more to worry about than glasses at boot camp.:evilgrin: :evilgrin:

TJR1070
03-11-08, 07:47 AM
"It's the comfort factor. Going 17 years with running and working out without glasses to with them is a new thing. I tried using a pair while out running and I was not comfortable at all. They kept me preoccupied with them falling off and adjusting them all the time." -Mass

First I'm sure you haven't been working out and running since birth, so you haven't been doing that for seventeen years. Second I'm sure what you have been doing for the last seventeen years is being a nasty civilian and the new thing of trying to become a Marine will be the most uncomfortable experience you will ever have. Third I scored a 295 on my PFT and a 224 on the rifle range while wearing BCD's. Lastly you will do what you are told and not decide what you want to wear and what you don't.

Hey how about since it's hot and I don't feel like it, I won't wear my flak jacket to the range because I haven't been using for seventeen years. There will be alot of things you will have to get used to or you will be going home with a bald head and civilian clothes!