PDA

View Full Version : PLC vs. OCC

sfidelis
03-05-08, 12:33 PM
Gentlemen,

I have a bit of a predicament. I have met with my recruiter twice and I have my final meeting with him this coming week to officially sign up. My problem is that I have to choose between PLC this summer and OCC after the fall semester. My understanding is that PLC is more beneficial because you get paid and the selection is not quite as tough. However I am able to graduate this December if I take summer classes at Michigan State. Furthermore I already paid rent for the summer but I could always sublease.

Let me know if PLC is in fact a more efficient route to the Marines. I understand that 46% of officers do PLC as opposed to the other methods of becoming a commissioned officer. Any help is appreciated.

Dan

Phantom Blooper
03-05-08, 12:46 PM
Instead of OCC are you meaning OCS?

Do a search on site and there is plenty of information on this subject in the Poolee Forum. :evilgrin:

sfidelis
03-05-08, 01:00 PM
Exactly, I meant (S)chool rather than (C)ourse. I did search the forums and didn't come up with anything on this particular information (believe me, I know everyone's feelings on searching before posting!). I was asking your opinion on my specific situation though. I'm not leaning one way or the other and my recruiter says its really up to me so any advice or opinions would be awesome.

Thanks again

Phantom Blooper
03-05-08, 01:06 PM
PM Lt's dscusmc/Isrowei both mustangs...they may be able to give you guidance on officer hood. Good luck with those Orange County Choppers...badazz bikes! LMAO!:evilgrin:

Braden
03-05-08, 01:28 PM
As I understand it, the selection board is more difficult for OCC than the PLC board.

However, the ten week PLC and the OCC course are identical. The only difference is that when you complete OCC, you get commissioned, get some leave, and are assured to get direct orders to The Basic School ahead of everyone else.

PLC guys go back to college, get commissioned when they graduate, but they can get stuck waiting for the next TBS class for awhile because they're lower priority.

sfidelis
03-05-08, 02:10 PM
Gotta love the choppers! But the OCC I am referring to sounds like the route I am going to take. I appreciate the help!

rvillac2
03-05-08, 08:04 PM
As I understand it, the selection board is more difficult for OCC than the PLC board.

However, the ten week PLC and the OCC course are identical. The only difference is that when you complete OCC, you get commissioned, get some leave, and are assured to get direct orders to The Basic School ahead of everyone else.

PLC guys go back to college, get commissioned when they graduate, but they can get stuck waiting for the next TBS class for awhile because they're lower priority.

I am curious, Lt. B. Do the new PLC grads waiting for their class report for active duty and enter some MAT program? or do they wait for their class to start before reporting for active duty.

rvillac2
03-05-08, 08:12 PM
PM Lt's dscusmc/Isrowei both mustangs...they may be able to give you guidance on officer hood. Good luck with those Orange County Choppers...badazz bikes! LMAO!:evilgrin:

95Mustang03 (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=50241) is also an OSO.

Braden
03-05-08, 10:23 PM
I am curious, Lt. B. Do the new PLC grads waiting for their class report for active duty and enter some MAT program? or do they wait for their class to start before reporting for active duty.

I've heard of a few taking MCMAP down at Parris Island in the meantime. However, most often, newly commissioned officers are stuck waiting. But, if the OSO offers, they can sometimes get PTAD for a few months.