PDA

View Full Version : Who Has the Answers???

firstsgtmike
04-18-03, 07:12 AM
Commentary: Iraq's unanswered questions
By Claude Salhani
From the International Desk
Published 4/18/2003 6:52 AM

LONDON, April 18 (UPI) -- Now that we have gotten over the initial euphoria of trailing wobbling video cams through hot combat zones from Basra to Baghdad and beyond, it's time to ask some of the more pertinent questions.

For starters, where are Saddam Hussein and his fellow top-echelon Baathists hiding? After all, this is one of the reasons the coalition went into Iraq in the first place. We'll come to the other reason in a moment.

Isn't it strange, though, that the entire Baath hierarchy seems to have fallen into a big black hole? Vanished! And is it possible for them to have disappeared without a trace, as they did, without thinking, "conspiracy?"

If Saddam was killed, as was believed at one point, where is his body? This is downtown Baghdad, not some remote cave in the Tora Bora where the mountains crumbled down on Osama bin Laden's and his al-Qaida fighters.

Forget Saddam for a moment, what about the stable of doubles he is supposed to have kept? No one has yet been able to find any of them, either.

We are not just talking about four or five people who could have easily melted into the Iraqi hinterland, or the 55 who found their images printed on a deck of playing cards, but of some 2,000 or so well known party and army honchos.

Besides Saddam, there is Izat Ibrahim, the vice president of the Revolutionary Command Council, Tareq Aziz, the deputy prime minister, Vice President Taha Yassin Ramadan, and Saddam's two equally brutal sons, Uday and Qasay, plus a plethora of others. How could they have all simply vanished into the thin air?

Before the war the CIA was able to intercept telephone phone calls between mid-level Iraqi military officers. So much was demonstrated by U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell at the United Nations Security Council when the United States set out to convince the world that Iraq was trying to hide its banned weapons.

So, the question may be posed, why has the United States not been able to track a single call between any of the regime's former bosses, now on the run. Certainly these people all have cell phones. Surely they are using them. They must be calling their wives and children, many of whom had already been sent quietly out of Iraq before the collapse of the regime. Where are the intercepts now?

Speaking of cell phones, you may recall that just before the start of hostilities, coalition forces were actively calling top-level Iraqi officers and leaders --- on their cell phones --- urging them not to fight.

Did some agreement emerge from those calls?

Several Iraqi and Arab analysts in London believe that a deal must have been struck between Saddam's regime and the Americans as a result of those calls.

One Iraqi analyst points to the so-called "battle of Saddam International Airport" as the turning point in the war. This, he and others believe, was when the Iraqi government disappeared. Until that evening, Iraqi Information Minister Mohammad Saeed al-Sahhaf was still telling the world Iraq was winning the war and that the "infidels" would burn in hell. The next morning, al-Sahhaf was gone, as was the rest of the leadership. Moments later, the Marines drove their tanks into the city center with practically no resistance.

Is it possible that a deal was struck, allowing Saddam and his entourage to escape to a third country? If not, why did the elite Republican Guard and the Special Republican Guard not fight? Where were the bulk of Saddam's Fedayeens? Where was the million-strong Jerusalem Army Saddam often boasted about? Much like the leadership, they faded into the night.

Of all those wanted by the American only two of Saddam's half-brothers were nabbed, but they are not exactly top drawer material. Abu Abbas, the leader of the Palestine Liberation Front was also grabbed, but even Israel has long stopped considering him a "terrorist." After he accepted the Oslo principles, Abu Abbas was allowed to travel through Israel to Gaza, where he lived for a short while. So where are the "links to terrorism?"

Speaking of terrorism, where are the weapons of mass destruction --- the main reason of the coalition's invasion of Iraq? The justification of the war. They, too, remain to be found. The United States on Friday announced they were sending 1,000 weapons inspectors to Iraq to pick up where the United Nations left off.

Speaking of the United Nations, why has the United States turned down their offer to resume their search for these weapons?

Replies to those many questions may remain as hazy as the fuzzy green images that embedded journalists offered us with their night vision cameras during the military phase of the campaign.

Copyright © 2001-2003 United Press International

Roberto T. Cast
04-19-03, 08:53 AM
To many questions with no answers. Only time will tell as what really happen. People have to put pressure on the republican administration and ask lots of questions. But remember, the republicans will classified you as being unamerican if you question their president, especially by Rush and Hannity who think they own America. I listening to them and I just laugh it off. Anyway, people still have to ask questions.:qmark:

greybeard
04-19-03, 09:38 AM
If I'm going to ask a question, it will be aimed at the republicans. At least you'll get an answer.
But Liberals are really good at asking questions too-they're just usually pretty short on providing solutions or answers. = Chreiten/Chirac

Oh, wait I remember now. The liberals can answer questions "Depends on what 'is' is"
"I never had sexual relations with that woman"

Comparison-I can assure you that, if given just a fraction of the time Iraq had, I can hide a 40' semi trailor in the small city of San Angelo & you, or Hans Blix will never find it. A fair comparison? SA is a heck of a lot smaller than Iraq, so a 2 man team should be proportionatly correct, as is a 40' trailer. Think about the city you live in & see if you don't think this is a correct analogy.

More on the original questions later.

Barrio_rat
04-19-03, 01:02 PM
Not only is it 'too many questions' it's too soon. Since the military was able to do what they did and what the leftists/liberals/democrats/peacnics etc thought they could not/would not they are finding a new band wagon to harp from on how it's all going wrong and it's somehow the miltary's fault and the lack of leadership... I've seen lack of leadership, it lasted 8 years and ended around mid January 2001.

firstsgtmike
04-19-03, 03:45 PM
Regarding the UPI article and ignoring its tenor, THESE are the questions it asks:

Where are Saddam Hussein and his fellow top-echelon Baathists hiding?

If Saddam was killed, where is his body?

Where are his doubles?

Where are the 2,000 or so well known party and army honchos.

Where are the cell phone intercepts?

Where are the bulk of Saddam's Fedayeens?

Where is the million-strong Jerusalem Army Saddam boasted about?

Where are the "links to terrorism?"

Where are the weapons of mass destruction?

No matter if he is Republican or Democrat, pro war or anti-war, liberal or conservative, black, white, green, or purple, Somebody BETTER be considering these questions and looking for answers.

From the headshed at the Pentagon to the Private patrolling the streets of Bagdad, SOMEBODY better tell him what he is doing there, what he is looking for, and give him the support he needs to find it and then deal with it.

Iraq is NOT a firewatch post in boot camp.

Forget Bush, forget clinton. These questions SHOULD be the concern of intelligience analysts and gatherers to provide immediate support to the private on patrol.

And long after our troops are back in CONUS, if these questions remain unanswered, WE, as a country, will be in a world of ****.

greybeard
04-19-03, 06:17 PM
Where are Saddam Hussein and his fellow top-echelon Baathists hiding?
Baathists are being rounded up almost daily according to news reports. Sadaam? who cares?

If Saddam was killed, where is his body?
Relevance? If he is dead, the location of the body doesn't matter. Best that it is blasted to tiny bits rather than buried as a shrine. Where is Hitler's rotting corpse? Didn't seem to change things that it was never conclusivly found, tho there are reports that it smuggled off to Moscow.

Where are his doubles?
desperately seeking to change their appearance I imagine

Where are the 2,000 or so well known party and army honchos.
Beats me. I suspect a high ratio of the army officers are with Allah

Where are the cell phone intercepts?
c'mon-need to know info & a pvt in the field doesn't have the need to know

Where are the bulk of Saddam's Fedayeens?
Gone back to the families they were forced to leave to begin with. They weren't exactly an all volunteer force. Didn't you read the story of one posted here who explained why he had to join & why he couldn't leave? From all reports, they were mostly thugs & regular civilians "recruited" by one of the sons

Where is the million-strong Jerusalem Army Saddam boasted about?
Where's all the rest of the military might he boasted about? Where is his impenetrable ring of sam missile sites, his 360 deg firey ring of oil? He was an avid liar. Never existed execpt in his mind.

Where are the "links to terrorism?"
Been in the papers for days. They've been posted here for days. Are you looking for a signed & notarized affidavt saying "I, Sadaam Hussien, am presently connected to, and fully support Ossama Bin Laden."?

Where are the weapons of mass destruction?
Comparison-I can assure you that, if given just a fraction of the time Iraq had, I can hide a 40' semi trailor in the small city of San Angelo & you, or Hans Blix will never find it. A fair comparison? SA is a heck of a lot smaller than Iraq, so a 2 man team should be proportionatly correct, as is a 40' trailer. Think about the city you live in & see if you don't think this is a correct analogy I have no doubt that they will be found eventualy.

No matter if he is Republican or Democrat, pro war or anti-war, liberal or conservative, black, white, green, or purple, Somebody BETTER be considering these questions and looking for answers.

From the headshed at the Pentagon to the Private patrolling the streets of Bagdad, SOMEBODY better tell him what he is doing there, what he is looking for, and give him the support he needs to find it and then deal with it.

Iraq is NOT a firewatch post in boot camp.

Forget Bush, forget clinton. These questions SHOULD be the concern of intelligience analysts and gatherers to provide immediate support to the private on patrol.

And long after our troops are back in CONUS, if these questions remain unanswered, WE, as a country, will be in a world of ****.