PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about the Corps. for Reserve Servicemen and Women

ProspectMarine
03-01-08, 03:43 AM
I'm a sophomore attending a university, and I'm excited about the prospect of becoming a 0331 Reservist in Missouri.

I've had several issues with my recruiter; I've researched the enlistment process, and would really appreciate it if any of you could offer some clarification.

1. He had stated that no Missouri Reserve Units had been called up for Iraq or Afghanistan. I wanted to know if this was true. It wouldn't prevent me from joining the Corps. if he had mistated this, but I would probably delay until school was over.

2. I was wondering whether moving for a job or internship and transferring to another unit would be an issue.

3. I'm currently on a full scholarship, and I don't need the G.I. Bill. I had wanted to look at a 4x4 instead of the more common 6x2.

If anyone could help me out, thanks. I have immense respect for the Corps. and have wanted to join since I was in high school.

One odd note; I spoke to a national guard recruiter (wasn't impressed) but he had mentioned that the fact that I was an eagle scout would put me up to E3 in the Army. Is this the same in the Marines? Thanks again.

rvillac2
03-02-08, 02:05 AM
1. You could call the Reserve unit that you are thinking of joining and ask them if they've activated or are scheduled to activate in the future. If your priority is graduating college, then you shouldn't join at all until you've reached that goal.

2. Moving away from your unit is mostly an issue when you have a less common MOS. You should be able to find a unit to join in most major cities if you are an 03xx. Don't plan on getting a summer internship unless they'll excuse you for your annual 2week Active Duty.

3. Reserve contracts are 6x2, not 4x4. 4x4 is only for Active Duty.

4. Eagle Scout might get you PFC, E-2, but certainly not L/Cpl.

ProspectMarine
03-02-08, 03:47 AM
Thank you sir, I'll follow up on your suggestions. It's tough trying to balance the two, and if I'm not able to call myself a Marine now, I will after my education is completed. Thanks again.

jchretien
03-02-08, 04:01 AM
In my most professional way of saying it. If you want to be a Marine, then be one. Marines dont hold themselves back so that they can finish college. A Marine, can do college while he's in. I do. Its not impossible. Learn to juggle your choices, and life around, and live like a big boy. If you want to join, DONT EVEN THINK about "will I have to deploy?". Thats what we, as Marines, live for. If your afraid to deploy, your looking to the wrong service. Go join the Army or something. Marines are, as the cadence goes...

"Ready To Fight, Ready To Kill, Ready To Die, But Never Will"

Dont even think about not joining because you have to go to war. So many Marines wish they could, but due to being stationed in non-deployable units...THEY CANT. Dont take a slot that other, more desiring people could have is all I'm saying.

If you plan to go the college (officer) route, then by all means, GO. We, enlisted, wont stop you. Your not even one of us to hold back.

Whatever you do, go out and get some. You only live life once. Dont regret any of it.

Cpl Chretien

PatriotGirl422
03-03-08, 08:36 AM
Oohrah Cpl Chretien! And you're right about many Marines wanting to deploy who can't. I've tried 3 times to go to MOS school early so I can deploy with a platoon in my unit, but I can't. And I see other Marines who are perfectly eligible to deploy who just say "No I don't want to" when someone asks them to volunteer. It ****es me off. I'm like "Why the hell did you join the Marine Corps if you're "SCARED" or "NOT READY" to deploy?"

jchretien
03-03-08, 08:38 AM
"Why the hell did you join the Marine Corps if you're "SCARED" or "NOT READY" to deploy?"

Exactly what makes me look at some Marines with a dull, flat, 'are you stupid' look.

Rah Motivator.
Stay motivated.

Cpl Chretien:marine:

Sgt Leprechaun
03-03-08, 12:53 PM
Don't get me started on the non deploying toads that find ways to skate out of doing WHAT THE HVLL WE ENLISTED FOR!!!!

Anyone who enlists just to stay at home and 'get the college money' should just live in Mom's basement and keep buying World of Warcraft money to eventually be a 37th level dungeon master.

Color me less than impressed with those who, in wartime, intentionally SHIRK their duty to get their azzes in the grass.

(Those who can't deploy because of MOS reasons or other legitimate reasons are another thing entirely. I've BTDT so I know how that goes.)

Sgt Leprechaun
03-03-08, 12:54 PM
Exactly what makes me look at some Marines with a dull, flat, 'are you stupid' look.

Rah Motivator.
Stay motivated.

Cpl Chretien:marine:

Oh, and by the way, fill out your profile. The pic is great but complete the information!