PDA

View Full Version : PLC and reserves

andy9003
02-28-08, 10:07 PM
I am a High School senior, and I will graduate in May of 2008. I want to go into the Marines and eventually become a helicopter pilot.

I have been told by an enlistment officer that I can do this by enlisting in the reserves, going to boot camp, and then applying for the PLC program after I start college in the fall. In fact he said this is the only way to do PLC through the reserves. If I am accepted in PLC, I would be doing the split OCS program during college. Assuming that I pass my ASTB and go through OCS ok, I would accept my commision my senior year of college, and go to flight school and stuff after that. I have been talking to an enlistment officer in my area that said I should be able to do this without too much of a problem as long as I stay dedicated.

I also talked to an OSO in my area and he said that it would also be ok for me to enlist in the reserves after my freshmen year of college, and everything would basically work the same except one year later -- i.e. boot camp after my freshmen year.

However when I told this to the enlistment officer, he said the only way to go to PLC thru the process after enlisting in the reserves is to enlist now and go to boot camp before my freshmen year of college -- i.e. boot camp this summer.

I have tried to straighten it out between the two of them, but I seem to be getting more confused. I just want to know if it is possible to go through the reserves, boot camp and apply to the PLC program the summer after my freshmen year of college, not the summer before.

Thanks,
Andy

Braden
02-28-08, 10:14 PM
I'm a little confused. Why do you think you need to enlist to enter the PLC program or apply for an Air contract?

andy9003
02-28-08, 10:24 PM
I know that I don't need to, but I want to, and I was also told that it looks alot better on my PLC application if I am already a Marine

Braden
02-28-08, 10:35 PM
I know that I don't need to, but I want to, and I was also told that it looks alot better on my PLC application if I am already a Marine

I see. I would go with the OSO on this one. He knows how and when you can apply for the PLC program. I don't know why the recruiter said you must enlist prior to college. I've never heard of such a rule.

You should be able to enlist whenever you like. After you have a semester or so under your belt, you can begin the application process for PLC. If selected, you will be able to do either the split two 6 week courses, or the one 10 week course.

andy9003
02-28-08, 10:39 PM
well the enlistment officer said that if i wait until the summer after my freshman year to enlist in the reseves, I would have to go to MOS right after, and I would miss part of my fall semester

Braden
02-28-08, 10:45 PM
well the enlistment officer said that if i wait until the summer after my freshman year to enlist in the reseves, I would have to go to MOS right after, and I would miss part of my fall semester
One of the former recruiters here should be able to provide more insight on this problem than I. However, I know for a fact that we had a couple guys in your situation at OCS -- guys who had enlisted and finished recruit training one summer, gone back to school for two semesters, then went to OCS the very next summer, without yet ever having gone to SOI or their MOS school.

andy9003
02-28-08, 10:46 PM
ok, thanks for the help

rvillac2
02-29-08, 01:47 AM
However, I know for a fact that we had a couple guys in your situation at OCS -- guys who had enlisted and finished recruit training one summer, gone back to school for two semesters, then went to OCS the very next summer, without yet ever having gone to SOI or their MOS school.

Thanks, Lt. B. You actually cleared up an open question we had on the forums.

Andy, I think what the recruiter (never heard of anyone called an enlistment officer) is saying is that he has a IIADT contract ready for you now. Since these contracts are limited, there's no gaurantee that you can get one next year.

If you're really set on enlisting first, don't put it off. It will be the best thing you've ever done in your young life.

Braden
02-29-08, 06:39 AM
Thanks, Lt. B. You actually cleared up an open question we had on the forums.

Andy, I think what the recruiter (never heard of anyone called an enlistment officer) is saying is that he has a IIADT contract ready for you now. Since these contracts are limited, there's no gaurantee that you can get one next year.

If you're really set on enlisting first, don't put it off. It will be the best thing you've ever done in your young life.

I agree with Sgt. V.; you will be forever changed. Officer Candidate School screens potential leaders, but Recruit Training makes Marines.

andy9003
03-02-08, 10:51 PM
If its so important for officers to go through boot camp, Why doesn't the Marines make this standard procedure? It seems the Officers who set policy don't agree with the need to go through boot camp in order to be effective at leading Marines.

rvillac2
03-03-08, 01:26 AM
You shouldn't be confused. Marine Officers are made by going through OCS and TBS. There is no other way.
It is simply an opinion when people say that Mustangs are better officers. While successful Marines of senior ranks share a lot of the same traits, the ENTRY level demands of enlisted and officers vary greatly.

It is my opinion that those following the boot/plc route you're thinking about don't have a huge advantage over those that don't. You would be a Marine and could drill, know the value of urgency, and other military traits. However, that won't separate you much from another candidate from a military prep school. At OCS you'll be judged on different things. Also, I think the biggest thing a real Mustang brings to the table is his/her experience in the fleet. Going to boot one summer, plc the next, and then TBS will give you just as much experience as the guy who didn't even go to boot camp. As far as I'm concerned, you'd be more of a pony than a Mustang. ; )

I'm just saying these things to clear up your confusion. I'm not telling you that either way is more advantageous. If your ultimate goal is to become an officer, finish school quickly while doing PLC. If you're looking for a kickass experience next summer, then enlist. But be ready to answer the call when President McCain decides to rotate your unit back into war.

(Just my opinion after a long day in the sun.)

Braden
03-03-08, 01:55 AM
If its so important for officers to go through boot camp, Why doesn't the Marines make this standard procedure? It seems the Officers who set policy don't agree with the need to go through boot camp in order to be effective at leading Marines.

In my experience, having a background in the enlisted ranks prior to commissioned service affords you with a good first impression with your men, besides that, it all depends on your leadership -- whether you're decisive, lead from the front, and ask only of your men what you yourself would do, or not.

I have seen many fellow enlisted men become Officers of Marines and excel. I have also seen Marines get dropped a few weeks into OCS. Officer Candidate School is not "Officer training course" but a screening process, and you're being evaluated by Sergeant Instructors (who all have previously spent time at Parris Island and MCRD San Diego as Drill Instructors). It separates those who have potential to lead Marines from those who are not ready or never will be.

The Basic School is more akin to Marine recruit training, where Marine Officers learn what it means to be a "basic" Infantry platoon commander and what it means to be an Officer of Marines.

I believe it's invaluable to have been a Sergeant prior to OCS. The wealth of knowledge and experience is incredible, despite the fact that the more you learn in the Marine Corps, the more you realize you don't know. It's an everyday challenge Officers must demand of themselves, earning the right to lead Marines.

However, recruit training, by itself, is unlikely to put you at a significant advantage as a potential Officer of Marines. It is on the other hand a great experience you won't forget.

Isrowei
03-03-08, 06:18 AM
/agree

Well put.

andy9003
03-03-08, 07:30 AM
So basically if I want the experience I should go to boot camp, otherwise I should just go straight through the PLC program, right?

rvillac2
03-03-08, 12:53 PM
So basically if I want the experience I should go to boot camp, otherwise I should just go straight through the PLC program, right?

Let's be clear. We're talking about the experience of going through Marine Corps Recruit Training and undergoing the transformation. We're not talking about experience actually living, working, fighting as a Marine. You won't see that.

andy9003
03-03-08, 05:32 PM
yeah, I ment the experience of boot camp

Braden
03-03-08, 06:15 PM
yeah, I ment the experience of boot camp

Marine Corps recruit training isn't summer camp. The Drill Instructors are there putting out everything they've got to make Marines. If it is your desire to become a Marine, then enlist. If you wish to become an Officer, finish up school, and apply for selection.

This shouldn't be about you and your experience, and it is partly my fault if I made it sound that way. You are there to serve, and while you will have some of the greatest times of your life and meet some of the most memorable challenges, ultimately, this all comes secondary to your oath to serve.

I would suggest you take the route that you ultimately want to end up with, and start working towards that goal.

andy9003
03-03-08, 07:14 PM
So when you say enlist, do you mean enlist active duty, and not do college, and sorry I'm not being very direct, I just being told that I can/should do different things by different people, and i'm just trying to figure out who I should be listening to

95Mustang03
03-04-08, 10:45 AM
Well put Sgt V. Boot camp won't even make you a "pony" in comparison with what a real Mustang experiences.
Attending boot camp will only give you the experience of attending boot camp. You will learn the basics of what it takes to be a Marine. You won't experience barracks life, field days, back yard ops, 96's or typhoons in Oki and all the camaraderie that comes with it.
The benefit to attending boot camp is that it will get you in shape. The down fall is that there are very few, to NO slots available for freshman in the PLC program. If you can attend boot camp on a split option after your freshman year and get back in time for the Fall semester, that would be your best bet. That way upon your return you are eminently qualified for the PLC program. Start the process with your OSO (officer Selection Officer) and he/she can get you selected for the following summer. This way once your orders are cut for Officer Candidate School you will be non-deployable and will not have to withdraw from school should your unit ship out.
This can be a point of contention with some in the Reserves. Why join if you aren’t willing to deploy? Keep in mind that your goal is to lead Marines and if that means missing a deployment don’t worry, you will make up for it in the long run. Of course this could be looked at as another reason to not do the Reserves first.

rvillac2
03-04-08, 08:04 PM
Welcome aboard Lt. Mustang! It will be really helpful having an OSO here to help with these questions.
Semper Fi, Mustang.

Isrowei
03-06-08, 04:38 PM
Mmmm... Typhoon parties in Oki... :)

Flak Jackets, Kevlar, and Corona anyone? Because it IS miles away from ordinary...

grodunt
04-05-08, 11:11 PM
I know I'm alittle late to the game here, but I am a 92 dayer. Went to PI last summer and came home and applied for OCS this summer (PLC-C 198 ground). If being a Marine is the most important thing, as it was for me, then I highly suggest doing this. If all you want to do is fly then I suggest holding off and focusing on being a kick ass student and a PT stud. Air contracts are hot tickets and are tough to get. Going to PI and earning the title was an experience of a lifetime and was something that I'll never forget. Hope that was some help. Good luck to you.

95Mustang03
04-07-08, 11:55 AM
Boot camp is a one in a million experience. And you are correct that the split option is a great idea for some. Especially those with a weak Officer package or low PFT scores. Neither of which I am insinuating you have. I have reccomended the split option to many college students.
You will have a heads up on what to expect at OCS however, what you will find is that what you took away from boot camp will be covered in the first couple weeks of TBS. So right about 2 months you and all the "non-prior enlisted" Lt's will be on the same playing field.
I am curious as to how you are getting to OCS? You mentioned PLC-C 198G? There is no such animal. Chances are you just got it mixed up, but 198 is an OCC class. If you are graduating in May, than that is what you are doing. If you are a junior, then you will be in the PLC 09G class. Ask your OSO to clarify.

grodunt
04-07-08, 01:47 PM
Boot camp is a one in a million experience. And you are correct that the split option is a great idea for some. Especially those with a weak Officer package or low PFT scores. Neither of which I am insinuating you have. I have reccomended the split option to many college students.
You will have a heads up on what to expect at OCS however, what you will find is that what you took away from boot camp will be covered in the first couple weeks of TBS. So right about 2 months you and all the "non-prior enlisted" Lt's will be on the same playing field.
I am curious as to how you are getting to OCS? You mentioned PLC-C 198G? There is no such animal. Chances are you just got it mixed up, but 198 is an OCC class. If you are graduating in May, than that is what you are doing. If you are a junior, then you will be in the PLC 09G class. Ask your OSO to clarify.

Sir, I was told that I was apart of the PLC-Combined 198 with a ground contract. I graduate MAY 09. Is this incorrect or just improperly worded?

bgsuwoody
04-07-08, 01:50 PM
This makes me want to ask a few questions actually since we have some mustanges answering some questions. And I would love to hear your opinion as well 1st Lt. Nicely because I know you are a mustange as well, but I am only a boot right now for sure, but I already have a college degree and I was wondering exactly what the process is for enlisted to put in a package? What is the age limit for going to OCS? Also is it recommended that I finish out the contract (not that I really have a choice) or what options can I take if I decide to do this. I haven't quite made a decision, but I love being a grunt. Pretty much I could use a little overview and insight on what my options are and whether I should wait or what

grodunt
04-07-08, 03:21 PM
Just do alittle research on here, google, or go over to marineocs.com and you'll find your answers. If you're active duty you're going to have to go through the MECEP, BOOST, or some other program. If you're in the reserves and already a college graduate you'll go through the OCC program. Find your local OSO (officer selection officer) and he'll get you up to speed. PFT score is a biggie so if you aren't first class right now then you need to get there ASAP. Good luck.

95Mustang03
04-08-08, 09:25 AM
Sir, I was told that I was apart of the PLC-Combined 198 with a ground contract. I graduate MAY 09. Is this incorrect or just improperly worded?

Just worded wrong is all. You are a PLC 09 Ground.

95Mustang03
04-08-08, 09:41 AM
...but I already have a college degree and I was wondering exactly what the process is for enlisted to put in a package? What is the age limit for going to OCS? Also is it recommended that I finish out the contract (not that I really have a choice) or what options can I take if I decide to do this. I haven't quite made a decision, but I love being a grunt. Pretty much I could use a little overview and insight on what my options are and whether I should wait or what

Well, bgsuwoody, your option is to apply for ECP (Enlisted Commissioning Programs). Seeing as you already have a college degree MECEP is not for you. MECEP sends active duty Marines to school in order to become commissioned officers.
You have much better odds at getting accepted for ECP. With ECP the Marine Corps is not footing the education bill so your chances of selection are much higher. You will still have to be boarded at your unit level to see if you are worthwhile to send to OCS. They will want to see if you have what it takes to lead Marines as an officer. ALL of your time in so far will come into play, as well will any civilian legal troubles you might of had while in college. Basically everything you did while in college and the Marines thus far. There will be field grade and company grade officers on the board and they will ask you questions about why you should be an officer. Chances are they will try to find some Mustangs to be on the board as well.
If you want to be an officer, then you had best start acting like one. Now that doesn't mean tuck in your 1980's polo shirt and wear your Birkenstock's with calf-high white socks. I mean that you need to carry yourself in a proffessional manner, and take every opportunity to lead. Set yourself apart from the 18 year old PFC. You could be his Platoon Commander next year.
You mentioned that you "enjoying being a grunt" as though you couldn't be one as an officer. Your platoon commander is a grunt. He is an 0302, Infantry Officer. Take everything you learned at SOI and multiply it by 100 and that is what he learned while at TBS (The Basic School) and IOC (Infantry Officer Course).
Bottomline, don't wait. The Marine Corps is short on Lt's. With your college degree your recruiter did a disservice by enlisting you, unless of course he allowed you to sit down with the OSO and hear the officer option as well. At which time you decided on your own to enlist.
If not, shame on him.

bgsuwoody
04-08-08, 01:07 PM
That wasn't my recruiter's option. I did speak with an OSO, but my heart is still in the ranks of the enlisted. I just think this route is the right for me and the abilities and knowledge I have gained will only help me in the future. I haven't made a decision either way and will be letting it soak over the next year or so. I thank you for your advice and knowledge and I hope to put it to good use.