PDA

View Full Version : Difference between BOOST & MECEP?

Melissa84
02-27-08, 05:10 PM
I am really confused as to the other topic on MECEP. I now find out about BOOST. What is the difference? I thought it was all the same but I guess its not. BOOST has a 3,6 or 9 month school as MECEP only has the 10 week in San Diego prep school then you go to college. Are they the same?

GySgtRet
02-27-08, 06:10 PM
Here are a couple of links that may help you. Do you have any college credits at this time? They may help towards what your goals are.

BOOST: http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/marinereg/blmco1560-24d.htm

MCEP: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-11567.html

The MCEP link refers to a discussion right here on Leatherneck.

Please let us know if this is what you meant or not.

Good luck

Gunny out

Melissa84
02-27-08, 07:24 PM
I know the other thread on here, I have had some questions answered on there but I was basically confused on what the difference was. My husband is the one doing this and yes he does have some credits already. Not that many but some. I read the links and that helped alot. So my understanding is BOOST is if you have no college and MECEP is if you have some..right?

GySgtRet
02-27-08, 08:18 PM
You are correct in what the differences are. How long has he been in the Marine Corps? If he is currently active duty what is his rank? Where are you stationed? These are pertanant in the fact that some Marine Corps installations provide more opportunities than others.

If you have any more questions come on back.

Gunny out

Melissa84
02-28-08, 02:15 PM
He has 2 semesters done but he is only part time student taking a few classes each semester so hours I think he has is 12 and he is a CPL right now. He is trying for a meritorius SGT board and has 2 more to go through. Either way he should pick up SGT this year. WE are stationed in Yuma, Az. I have heard its so hard to get accepted to MECEP but he talked to a guy here who got in on his first time. I am so confused about it. Sometimes it seems easier then sometimes it seems like its not a reality to get in really.

GySgtRet
02-28-08, 02:23 PM
This link may help to solve some of your issues?

http://www.usmc-mccs.org/education/locations.cfm

I know that it is very confusing. I am hoping that a Marine that has gone through MCEP will pick this up and adivse you both. I know that it won't be easy. Easy isn't the Marine Corps way.

Gunny out

Gunny Nichols
02-29-08, 11:31 AM
Your are incorrect about the difference between BOOST and MECEP. The basic difference between the programs are the qualifications. For MECEP you have to have a AFQT score above 74 but for BOOST it is less. You do not have to have any college credit to get into either program, but it can help. If you apply to MECEP and the selection board does not feel you are ready for MECEP then you will be selected to BOOST. There are many MECEP applicatiants who apply for MECEP only and get accepted to BOOST and there are BOOST applicants that get placed in MECEP. What you need to do is read the MCO and currentt MARADMINS for both of these programs and decide what one you qualify for. If you meet all of the MECEP qualifications then apply for MECEP, if the selection board deems you are not ready for MECEP you will most likley get placed in BOOST even though you did not apply. Then you decide to accept the program or not.
I am currently a MECEP and applyed two different times before I got accepted. I have pretty good insight into both of the programs if you have further questions. However, I have noticed that you have all these questions in regards to your husband. Your husband should be doing this research for himself if he wants in the program, then he should be answering these questions for you. If he is not reaserching it himself and putting his own pacage togther then he will never get in. The first thing you need to get accpted in to either program is the motivation and dicipline to reaserch and put togther your own package.

Semper Fi
GySgt Nichols

Melissa84
03-04-08, 04:22 PM
My husband is the one applying and I just like to be knowledgeable. We try not to talk too much about work when he comes home as we don't get much time together bc of our work schedules. Thats why I was just researching what I could. and possibly find out something he doesn't know that could help him.

Isrowei
03-04-08, 06:39 PM
If you can't talk about his job and his future... something is wrong. This will greatly impact your life as well as his. You'd better sit down and talk it out with him at some point. I know when I make major decisions in my life, the one person I WANT to talk with at length is my wife.

Good initiative to look things up on your own. But that's horrible communication if you can't talk about work at home. He needs to be answering these questions for you. If nothing else, he might find there's something he overlooked or forgot about it.

Melissa84
03-05-08, 01:32 AM
I never said I couldn't or we don't...I just said we try to keep it to a min. We like to de-stress w out the subjecct of work sometimes. I like to find out stuff on my own. Then we talk about it. i am very independent. He is putting his package together now and we do talk some but mostly like I said until it comes down to it I will do my own research and then discuss with him. It makes me feel better knowing I can use my resources.

Idena
03-05-08, 11:52 AM
I never said I couldn't or we don't...I just said we try to keep it to a min. We like to de-stress w out the subjecct of work sometimes. I like to find out stuff on my own. Then we talk about it. i am very independent. He is putting his package together now and we do talk some but mostly like I said until it comes down to it I will do my own research and then discuss with him. It makes me feel better knowing I can use my resources.

This is just my two cents, & you can take it or leave it, but there's more to gathering info than just getting the cold, hard facts. You can get the technical knowledge of MECEP & BOOST all you like, but when it boils down to it, it's far more important for your marriage to find out how he plans to apply it - prospective timelines, personal inclinations & preferences. Frequently the best way to understand something is to discuss it with another person, not just to read up on it on a forum. I personally think you're doing yourself a disservice by doing research independently of your husband rather than side by side with him.

DobbinsBlythe
03-05-08, 02:15 PM
This is just my two cents, & you can take it or leave it, but there's more to gathering info than just getting the cold, hard facts. You can get the technical knowledge of MECEP & BOOST all you like, but when it boils down to it, it's far more important for your marriage to find out how he plans to apply it - prospective timelines, personal inclinations & preferences. Frequently the best way to understand something is to discuss it with another person, not just to read up on it on a forum. I personally think you're doing yourself a disservice by doing research independently of your husband rather than side by side with him.

I'd have to disagree a bit with Idena here. While she's absolutely right about getting GREAT knowledge from your hubby and I agree that it's SUPER important to communicate..... I do know that a lot of times Marines don't expect their wives to fully understand everything. Sometimes it's really good to go ahead and dig deep to find the answers to the questions you have, and also, I'm glad you're doing the research because even though my husband might have alot of answers about the ideas and possibilities he has.. the Husband side of everything doesn't usually encompass the details of moving, preparing financially, or life as a family when it comes to the career move he might be making.

Luckily, I have a husband who tries to answer everything and inform me completely on any decisions he makes and what it might mean for me to try to prepare for. Sometimes when I have a question he can't answer yet, I find the answers elsewhere. It depends on every spouse's situation.

Idena
03-05-08, 02:22 PM
I'd have to disagree a bit with Idena here. While she's absolutely right about getting GREAT knowledge from your hubby and I agree that it's SUPER important to communicate..... I do know that a lot of times Marines don't expect their wives to fully understand everything. Sometimes it's really good to go ahead and dig deep to find the answers to the questions you have, and also, I'm glad you're doing the research because even though my husband might have alot of answers about the ideas and possibilities he has.. the Husband side of everything doesn't usually encompass the details of moving, preparing financially, or life as a family when it comes to the career move he might be making.

Luckily, I have a husband who tries to answer everything and inform me completely on any decisions he makes and what it might mean for me to try to prepare for. Sometimes when I have a question he can't answer yet, I find the answers elsewhere. It depends on every spouse's situation.

I think you mistake what I've said about doing research with your husband for asking your husband for answers about career decisions & not probing further with questions of your own. I don't advocate doing none of your own research any more than I would doing exclusively your own research.

Isrowei
03-05-08, 04:01 PM
..... I do know that a lot of times Marines don't expect their wives to fully understand everything.

Define "fully understand"?

I don't expect my wife to know how I do every aspect of my job, but I expect her to know what I do. I also expect that she is reasonably intelligent enough that should I broach any subject with her that we can discuss intelligently if I provide a little background. When I went through infantry training, I discussed machine gun emplacement with my wife. She won't know everything about it, but she can discuss it intelligently. Additionally, when my wife worked as an editor at a publishing firm, I didn't know every aspect of the firm, but I knew enough that when she talked about her day, I could ask intelligent questions and I knew what she meant. The bottom line, we could relate to each other no matter what our occupation was. And when opportunities come up that might affect us and our lives together.. the FIRST person I'm talking about it with is my wife. If we can't answer a question to each other, then we go out looking for answers. But the reason to find answers is not for one or the others own benefit, but so we can share with each other. The goal is that we both make a fully informed decision together about those things that affect us.

If the lack of understanding is due to under-exposure, the fault is the Marine's and he should fix it. Being a Marine isn't supposed to be mysterious. In fact, it's not. It's actually pretty simple. This isn't rocket science people. If I have to do "outside research" just to be able to relate to my spouse... something is wrong. Period.

If there is sufficient exposure on the part of the Marine and the lack of understanding is due to ability to comprehend... asking questions on the outside won't help.

There's no problem with asking questions on a forum or doing a little research on the side. We all do it from time to time. But it's a little irksome to think that you expect that we have the time to answer questions when you're not willing to ask your husband who should rightfully be the one to answer these things for you.

Sometimes it's really good to go ahead and dig deep to find the answers to the questions you have, and also, I'm glad you're doing the research because even though my husband might have alot of answers about the ideas and possibilities he has.. the Husband side of everything doesn't usually encompass the details of moving, preparing financially, or life as a family when it comes to the career move he might be making.

If he's not thinking about those things... he's not planning it through thoroughly. This is why it's imperative that you should be talking these issues through with your spouse. There shouldn't really be a "husband side" or a "wife side" when it comes to this. You both need to be fully informed and aware of what it entails for everyone.

He should be especially aware of the family impact his career move will have! This is possibly the most important factor that should be affecting his decision... even above possible career gain.

While there might be different areas where you actually accomplish tasks (i.e. I register the cars in the new place, my wife sets up the cable tv, etc), you should be implicitly aware of what is going on and what it entails.

It sounds like your Marine is doing it right. But the advice you just gave leaves me shaking my head. A husband/wife team should be just that... a team. Giving advice to the contrary is just wrong.

Wyoming
03-05-08, 04:23 PM
A husband/wife team should be just that... a team.

.... and that is how marriages prosper!!

Melissa84
03-05-08, 05:19 PM
There's no problem with asking questions on a forum or doing a little research on the side. We all do it from time to time. But it's a little irksome to think that you expect that we have the time to answer questions when you're not willing to ask your husband who should rightfully be the one to answer these things for you.

I am sorry you find it "irksome" and while I don't expect you to answer my questions..isn't that what this forum is for? But since it is a major concern of everyone my husband and I DO talk about our work lives. At the same time I don't depend on my husband to answer every question I have. He is very patient about answering the questions I do have. Just because my marriage is run differently doesn't mean our marriage isn't going to prosper. I find that comment a little close-minded. Jeez...what happended to women learning things on themselves? I am very comfortable supporting my husband by letting him make his choices. I have input into them but ultimately it is HIS choice. If he doesn't want to do this then I am okay with that. I don't belittle anyone who makes their marriage work differently than mine but please don't make it seem like I should do mine like yours.

Wyoming
03-05-08, 05:24 PM
Meow, pffst, pffst, scratch, and a bit of a growl.

This is indeed a Marine forum.

You ask a question, you get answers.

Some you like, some you don't.

You can't pick and choose.

I personally thought there were some excellent respones.

DobbinsBlythe
03-12-08, 08:45 AM
Define "fully understand"?

I don't expect my wife to know how I do every aspect of my job, but I expect her to know what I do. I also expect that she is reasonably intelligent enough that should I broach any subject with her that we can discuss intelligently if I provide a little background. When I went through infantry training, I discussed machine gun emplacement with my wife. She won't know everything about it, but she can discuss it intelligently. Additionally, when my wife worked as an editor at a publishing firm, I didn't know every aspect of the firm, but I knew enough that when she talked about her day, I could ask intelligent questions and I knew what she meant. The bottom line, we could relate to each other no matter what our occupation was. And when opportunities come up that might affect us and our lives together.. the FIRST person I'm talking about it with is my wife. If we can't answer a question to each other, then we go out looking for answers. But the reason to find answers is not for one or the others own benefit, but so we can share with each other. The goal is that we both make a fully informed decision together about those things that affect us.

If the lack of understanding is due to under-exposure, the fault is the Marine's and he should fix it. Being a Marine isn't supposed to be mysterious. In fact, it's not. It's actually pretty simple. This isn't rocket science people. If I have to do "outside research" just to be able to relate to my spouse... something is wrong. Period.

If there is sufficient exposure on the part of the Marine and the lack of understanding is due to ability to comprehend... asking questions on the outside won't help.

If he's not thinking about those things... he's not planning it through thoroughly. This is why it's imperative that you should be talking these issues through with your spouse. There shouldn't really be a "husband side" or a "wife side" when it comes to this. You both need to be fully informed and aware of what it entails for everyone.

He should be especially aware of the family impact his career move will have! This is possibly the most important factor that should be affecting his decision... even above possible career gain.

While there might be different areas where you actually accomplish tasks (i.e. I register the cars in the new place, my wife sets up the cable tv, etc), you should be implicitly aware of what is going on and what it entails.

It sounds like your Marine is doing it right. But the advice you just gave leaves me shaking my head. A husband/wife team should be just that... a team. Giving advice to the contrary is just wrong.

I completely agree. As I stated in earlier posts.. I'm a little OCD when it comes to the minute details of every aspect of our lives. He does the big stuff, I manage the details. That's how it works.. just like every day chores.. I cook and handle bathrooms, he does dishes and laundry. Every team works differently, and I think it's really good that if any particular side to any husband/wife team is curious, they go out and find the answers. In my case, my husband didn't know a lot of the answers to the questions I was asking, hence.. I ask, then I relay information. I think maybe you misunderstood some of the things I was saying. I was trying to state that while my husband (for example) will know how much money will be provided for a move, where we're going, how much we need to have in savings, what he's going to be doing there.. he might not know or realize right off the bat the logistics of packing--1 weeks worth of clothes, all liquids, reloading equipment.. all those things must travel in the car with us. Everything else should be packable.. these are the things I think about LOOONG before it crosses his mind. It's what I do.. I'm OCD so I think of details.. all the time.

Anyway, as an update.. we still have no idea where we'll be in the next six months. My previous statments about moving in November may be thwarted over some major craziness that has occurred. I will keep everyone up to date.

Melissa84 Anything new?

cookingmama
12-17-08, 07:30 PM
Hello all! I am new to the site and saw this thread about MECEP and BOOST.
A lot of questions are being answered, so I thank you.

However, I don't really think it's up to anyone to really comment on someone else's marriage. The girl is just asking questions on MECEP and people are attacking her because she casually mentioned that they don't talk about the program all the time.

I understand after a hard day of work for me AND my husband, we come home and are ready to just crash and veg out.

Give the girl a break, she just wanted some questions answered!