PDA

View Full Version : Five friends gearing up to go to Marine Corps boot camp

thedrifter
02-27-08, 05:41 AM
Five friends gearing up to go to Marine Corps boot camp

Posted: Feb 26, 2008 07:08 PM

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - Five Mooresville High School graduates are about to embark on a life changing experience. They enlisted together in the Marines Corps and boot camp is less than two weeks away.

"We can say we're ready but we don't know. We just have to wait for that drill sergeant to jump on that bus. We'll find out quick I'm assuming," said Ryan Parmalee.

"Well we're guaranteed 13 weeks of some rough times. It's not going to be easy but it's something we will all get through," said Matt Coburn.

The gang of five enlisted around the same time. Matt Anderson was the first.

"I'm not a college man. I didn't have much else to do so I thought I'd go with all my friends," said Anderson.

They know each other well. For the past five months four of them lived together. But their friendship runs far deeper. They met in middle school.

"We've all been training since we were in high school. Even middle school basketball. We've been lifting," said Blake Barkhimer.

The five friends have gone to battle together before. Not in a war, but on the grid iron. They all played for the Mooresville High School football team.

It was out on the football field where the five became one. Working together on a team. Focused on winning. Relying on one another to get through each game and come out on top. It's those attributes that they plan to rely upon when they begin basic training.

"I couldn't ask for anything better than to go with these guys right here. I grew up with these fellows you know. The trust is already there. There's not going to be anything that makes boot camp any easier than being with these guys," said Jake Kitchen.

Year book photos remind them of their glory days on the grid iron. But they don't focus on the past, instead, they're excited about the future. Trading the uniforms they wore in high school for the ones they will wear in the Marine Corps.

"There's definitely a comfort zone there because you've got people you can trust at all times no matter what," said Kitchen.

Boot camp starts March 10th. That will take place at Camp Pendleton in southern California.

By Jay Hermacinski
WISH-TV

Ellie