PDA

View Full Version : Getting in shape...

DominicBennett
02-25-08, 11:04 AM
Before I start rambling, I just want to say I did search to forums for something like this, but couldn't find anything..but I may have missed it since it's approaching 4am here.

I'm 5'10" and ~200 pounds. I desperately want to get in shape before I sign up. I started running, but after sitting on my ass for a couple years i ended up getting small fractures in my legs, so running's out for a while. I can still walk though.

What I'm asking for is advice on getting in shape as quickly as possible. I'll do anything.

Thanks in advance

-Dom

hydraulic
02-25-08, 03:11 PM
Get a backpack, fill it with at least 25 kg (55lbs) at least five of which should be water and five of food and do as much hill walking as you can.
There is lots of great tracks around Wee Jasper, head down the Hume Highway to Yass then turn left, Wee Jasper is 55 km from there.
Or you can wander around Kosciusco National Park on the trails there to get stamina and endurance, do not forget to build upper body strength.
If your wandering around in the bush on these tracks, do not forget to take survival gear, sleeping bag, compass, food map etc with you and make sure you can actually read a map and use a compass before you go.
Theres only one thing more dangerous than an Officer with a map and thats a sailor with a gun.
I would also get onto a good healthy diet and plan to burn 6000 calories a day and ensure you get that into you.

Echo_Four_Bravo
02-25-08, 03:41 PM
There is no way you did a search for fitness/getting into shape and didn't find anything. There have been hundreds of posts on the subject.

If you have stress fractures, the only way to get better is to rest. Guess what- that means you will not be getting into shape quickly.

Read this thread (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29787), and you'll know all you need to know once you get healthy.

OB MSG
02-25-08, 03:53 PM
You need to get out as much as possible like Hydraulic said, but also when you are out there look around. If you happen to be walking by a playground, look for something you can use as a pull-up bar and knock out a set, max or otherwise, (try for max though). Also throw in some pushups and other exercises in the morning to get your body going. And Stretch! Very Important. You don't want to pull something then get hemmed up again waiting for that to heal.

As for food, go for protein, and ruffage. Fish, chicken, Beef, (make sure its lean), veggies, and lots of water! Try not to carb load, but do have some. You need to have long term energy. If you drink soda, stop! Depending on how much soda you drink, you could burn some weight right there. Drink the sport drinks sparingly, say after a workout. Take a 20 oz (or bigger) powerade or gatorade, drink half , then fill it back up with water. Keep drinking half then refilling until it's just water, then drink water for the day. This will keep you from passing to much of the electolytes back out of your body through overload.

Lastly, talk to a recruiter. It's their job to make sure you are fit and properly prepared for Boot Camp. Tell them what you want and they will work with you. It may be tough but that's what your signing up for.

Good Luck! You can and will make it, it all depends on how much you want it.

OB MSG
02-25-08, 03:56 PM
I was typing when Echo was sending, but I agree, there are a ton of threads and sites to give you basic workout programs to go by. Look around, it's out there.

SlingerDun
02-25-08, 06:11 PM
I like Hydraulics plan, yep plan. You gotta have one or your dreams or what you thought were goals will soon become murky and fizzle out. If your more house plant than thistle you can stay inside and lift weights and ride the gonowhere bike. As you begin to build or at least tone muscle, weight will reduce then plateau. About that time your fat shins should be healed up sound enough to run, if thats what you think you is needed. Personally i think running is over rated.

--->Dave

ttracker65
03-01-08, 02:20 AM
you can try jogging in sand. It is easy on the bones "no jarring"

Phantom Blooper
03-01-08, 06:32 AM
As for food, go for protein, and ruffage. Fish, chicken, Beef, (make sure its lean), veggies, and lots of water! Try not to carb load, but do have some. You need to have long term energy. If you drink soda, stop! Depending on how much soda you drink, you could burn some weight right there. Drink the sport drinks sparingly, say after a workout. Take a 20 oz (or bigger) powerade or gatorade, drink half , then fill it back up with water. Keep drinking half then refilling until it's just water, then drink water for the day. This will keep you from passing to much of the electolytes back out of your body through overload

QUIT McDonald's and get a NON FOOD service job!

HEED and READ ALL the above!

Get off the computer and go PT and QUIT making excuses for trifling laziness!:evilgrin:

DominicBennett
03-02-08, 01:32 AM
QUIT McDonald's and get a NON FOOD service job!

HEED and READ ALL the above!

Get off the computer and go PT and QUIT making excuses for trifling laziness!:evilgrin:

I can't eat McDonalds. Makes me sick. As for PT, I am. Going on a camping trip with friends for a week in a national park, nothing but hiking during the day and sleeping at night. Thanks though.