PDA

View Full Version : Recruit Training Pay Inquiry

marty85
02-23-08, 08:42 PM
I have a friend that told me that during Recruit Training, I nor my family will have access to my pay. Now I need to find out if there is any truth to this. I know that the Marines really emphasize earning everything you get. I just want to make sure so that along with preparing myself for Recruit Training I also prepare my family.

Artemis
02-23-08, 08:52 PM
You will not have access to any of your money until the last week of Boot Camp.

ZSKI
02-23-08, 08:53 PM
you will have acess to it in the recruit px, thats about it you have to wait till family day to add people to your acount. And change that bank asap

marty85
02-23-08, 09:09 PM
So what are some steps I should take to make sure my family is ok? Any advice?

Phantom Blooper
02-23-08, 09:51 PM
So what are some steps I should take to make sure my family is ok? Any advice?

Good financial planning.... start now! From your profile looks like you have a good job. Marines won't let you go if your family dependents are not taken care of. Ask a recruiter.:evilgrin:

marty85
02-23-08, 10:14 PM
Alright Thanks for the advice

marty85
02-23-08, 10:32 PM
My family will be added onto Tricare correct?

zackmerc
02-24-08, 02:01 AM
I wouldn't worry about pay during boot camp. You probably won't even be paid until the second or third month. You will however, be given money to buy things from the Recruit PX.

marty85
02-24-08, 04:28 AM
Its not me I am concerned about, its my wife and child. Just want to make sure everything is good at home. Thanks

Sgt Leprechaun
02-24-08, 08:23 AM
Makes sense. Start putting money away now for when you are away. Get a credit card with a decent amount on it...and FREEZE it in the freezer, for emergencies.

Yes, they will be on tricare, BTW. Make sure they are listed as dependants on your contract. Have them keep in touch with the recruiter and he'll be able to tell them when they can start using that. If your current medical plan gives you 30-60 days extra coverage, buy it NOW that way you don't 'gap'.

Old Marine
02-24-08, 08:38 AM
For your family to be on TRICARE, you must insure that they are signed up in the DEERS program. Your recruiter should be able to help you in this area.

Covey_Rider
02-24-08, 09:32 AM
If I remember correctly if you have dependents...during the beginning of boot camp you will be afforded the opportunity to make sure that money is going to your family. They won't leave your family out of the picture don't worry. If anything during boot camp talk to your senior drill instructor. You and your family will be taken care of. But always have a back up plan such as a credit card just in case they have to go for a little while without income from you.

marty85
02-25-08, 01:48 AM
Does anybody have any regulations or a reference that I can use to find out for sure?

Phantom Blooper
02-25-08, 05:58 AM
Call a recruiter....and ask. Or do a search engine.

MotivatorOfTheGuard
02-25-08, 09:02 AM
When you get to Recruit Training, Talk to your SDI off line, and explain the situation to him. They don't like to, but if it is required, it can be done.