PDA

View Full Version : Joining Reserves as well as local Law Enforcement Agency

bigassassin
02-20-08, 12:53 PM
Looking for some help. I have done research and the answers are vague at best. I have contacted recruiters through e-mail but thought I would ask here.

I am prior service Navy and want to join Marine Reserves. I am also applying to be a local police officer. I need to know if I should go to boot camp first and then apply to the Department or become a cop and then enlist. Would the USMC allow me the six months I would need to go to the Academy without drilling? Would a Police Department allow me 5 months to go to boot camp and MOS school? Thank you in advance.

SGT7477
02-20-08, 02:44 PM
Just my opinion but I would think you would have to go to boot camp first.

rvillac2
02-20-08, 04:26 PM
Job protection for Reserves are only for those who are already in. Your employer doesn't have to extend you the same leeway for you to JOIN the Reserves. So, the best thing for you is to join the Corps first, and then the PD when you return. The Corps does make allowances for you attending an academy. You will end up extending your contract, though, since you will not have served satisfactory years towards it.
But who cares. If you get activated, most agencies honor alot of your benefits.

UsmcMotorT
03-24-08, 02:41 PM
Several marines in my unit joined the police department while in drilling status. Just talk to your chain of command and see if you can pre-drill those missed drill dates. Moreover, I believe some police recruits get weekends off at the academy. You could go to drill then, but it may be stressfull to put that kind of workload on you.