PDA

View Full Version : MECEP questions.. Mustangs, please help!

DobbinsBlythe
02-15-08, 06:53 AM
http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/ac95bc775efc34c685256ab50049d458/f59b12f2ec219b13852571b8005bcb2a?OpenDocument&Highlight=2,MECEP

Ok, so I read this, which gives me a little more insigt into MECEP, but the husband and I were talking about the possibility of him not leaving the corps, but instead, becoming an officer.

I of course told him that I was all for it, and whatever decision he made, I would support.

I have a few questions though...

1. It says in the article that the Marine must pay for his college.. either through the GI bill or through his own financial means. Does this mean that tuition reimbursement is completely halted once entered into the MECEP program?

2. It states that you'll still receive BAH and the active duty pay that you received at the rank you "left active duty" at. Does that mean that you're not considered active duty?

3. How does the previous question affect Tricare benefits?

4. Does it allow for familiy to move with the Marine to the school of preference?

I know... I'm always full of questions, but any assistance would be great. I saw a couple of posts here regarding MECEP but I, so far, haven't seen much in detail. I will continue doing some research but any help from previous Mustangs would be awesome!!!

Thanks again!

Phantom Blooper
02-15-08, 07:25 AM
Lt. Isrowei could probally answer this or Lt. dscusmc.... both mustangs. But in the meantime do a search in the Poolee Forum and Ask A Marine...good information as this has been asked before many X's over.:evilgrin:

DobbinsBlythe
02-15-08, 09:46 AM
I've been searching the entire site for postings, so far I haven't found much more information than I've already gotten.

Also, I've found a few descrepancies. One post made on this site stated you'd be paid as an E-5 while doing MECEP... and the article on the usmc.mil site I pulled stated you'd be paid as the rank you were when you "left active duty." With "eligibility and opportunity for promotion."

?????????

gys
02-15-08, 10:19 AM
Also check trhe following link:

http://www.usmc.mil/directiv.nsf/82001916d226893285256d12004936dd/fafd940586ee59618525677c006bfe0e?OpenDocument

MUSTANG0369
02-15-08, 10:21 AM
I was a MECEPer and know very well the answers to all of these.

1. You are not authorized, per the order, Tuition Assistance through the MECEP program. If you are an instate resident, the GI Bill should cover it. Look at schools in the Deep South, they are super cheap. I went to Ole Miss.

2. You do not leave active duty......time keeps ticking....However if you choose avaition there may be service requirements similar to an enlistment. If near retirement remember you have to do 10 as an officer to retire as one. There are early retirements and such but it is not the norm.

3. You will have to change Tri-care over to Tricare Prime Remote. He would learn all of this at prep school, or BOOST which ever he attends.

4. Absolutely, it is a PCS. Went from the Drill Field to college......wow what a change.

Anything else let me know

DIBLO7
02-15-08, 10:33 AM
I have a few questions though...

1. It says in the article that the Marine must pay for his college.. either through the GI bill or through his own financial means. Does this mean that tuition reimbursement is completely halted once entered into the MECEP program?

2. It states that you'll still receive BAH and the active duty pay that you received at the rank you "left active duty" at. Does that mean that you're not considered active duty?

3. How does the previous question affect Tricare benefits?

4. Does it allow for familiy to move with the Marine to the school of preference?
Thanks again!

1. He would have to pay for his own college. He can use his GI Bill, Scholarships, Student loans, or begging on the side of the street if thats what he wants to do. The only thing he stops getting is tuition assistance.

2. He would receive BAH for the zip code of the university. He would get paid just like he was regualar active duty in his current rank. Promotions are non competitive. That means that as soon as he is in zone he will pick up that year. Yes, you are considered active duty. The 4 years spent at school counts towards retirement, and pay is the sames as active duty. The only difference is that your "job" is to go to school instead of going out and doing "normal" Marine things.

3. Depending on the location of the school changes the type of Tricare you get. For example, next year I am going to be going to the University of Idaho..that school is out in the middle of nowhere. The closest military hospital is over 2 hours away. So I will be enrolled in what is called tricare prime remote. If you go to the tricare website you can get lots more information than I can give you.

4. Yes, your family can move with you. The only restriction on the Marine is that it has to be a school with a Navy ROTC.

If you need any more clarification or have any more questions let me know. I'm in the MECEP and go to school next fall.

DIBLO7
02-15-08, 10:37 AM
I've been searching the entire site for postings, so far I haven't found much more information than I've already gotten.

Also, I've found a few descrepancies. One post made on this site stated you'd be paid as an E-5 while doing MECEP... and the article on the usmc.mil site I pulled stated you'd be paid as the rank you were when you "left active duty." With "eligibility and opportunity for promotion."

?????????

If your rank is less than E-5 you get paid that while at OCS which you do during the summer between your freshman and sophmore year. Then when you go back to school your pay would revert to whatever it was.

LeonardLawrence
02-15-08, 10:13 PM
http://www.marineocs.com/portal/index.php

:D

DobbinsBlythe
02-16-08, 07:26 AM
OMG this is the best info EVER!

Ok, here's another question....

Does the Marine live off campus with his family?

Oh! And another...

During the basic school? (I think it's 6 months long...) and another 6 months of MOS training.. does the family move along with the Marine during those times as well? Or just during college?

DobbinsBlythe
02-16-08, 08:48 AM
UPDATE!!!!!!!!

I think he's going to put his package in. It will take a while, he says, but I think this is what he wants, and he knows, I will back him in every decision he makes, as long as he makes it with me.

I think i'm breaking out in hives over everything happening at once.

DIBLO7
02-16-08, 08:57 AM
OMG this is the best info EVER!

Ok, here's another question....

Does the Marine live off campus with his family?

Oh! And another...

During the basic school? (I think it's 6 months long...) and another 6 months of MOS training.. does the family move along with the Marine during those times as well? Or just during college?
While at school he can live wherever he wants. If he was single he could get a room in the dorms. I know that when I'm in Idaho I'm buying a place out in town.

As far as family during TBS I think your family comes, but I'm not positive and don't want to give you any bum scoop. Someone who has been through it would have a better answer.

Outstanding on him putting in a package. Make sure he gets started early there is a crap ton of little things that will hold up the package that you wont notice on the big checklists.

edit: got over zealous and hit send a bit to early..

DobbinsBlythe
02-16-08, 10:13 AM
Well, it's still not set in stone yet, but a lot has been thrown out very quickly at me. I think it's really what he wants. Thanks so much, everyone, for all your help. I'm sure I'll be posting more questions. I'm really annoying like that hahaha.

Should you go to a school in the state you enlisted in? Or the state you are a legal resident in?

Retmarinewife
02-16-08, 11:49 AM
Because my husband was prior enlisted I was able to live with him on base while he was attending TBS. I don't think they are doing that now though with all the construction on housing. You can move there when he is attending and live in an apt. They maintain a room at TBS for late nights and study time.
Does your Marine have any college? He can try to knock some of it out on base and look into the Meritorious Commissioning Program. You only need an Associates for that program. It is very competitive though.

LeonardLawrence
02-16-08, 07:05 PM
UPDATE!!!!!!!!

I think he's going to put his package in. It will take a while, he says, but I think this is what he wants, and he knows, I will back him in every decision he makes, as long as he makes it with me.

I think i'm breaking out in hives over everything happening at once.

Congrats! I think there is an order that Marine Wives cannot break out in HIVES, ever. :cool:

Please keep us updated.

poolarnold
02-16-08, 07:41 PM
sorry i know i shouldn't post here...but what are the qualifications to get into mecep and how hard is it to get in???

DIBLO7
02-17-08, 12:44 PM
Should you go to a school in the state you enlisted in? Or the state you are a legal resident in?

It doesn't really matter for most states as they will give you the in state tuition rate since you are there on orders. You would have to check on the individual state. I'm from Washington and going to school in Idaho.

Depending on where you're from it might be an idea to try and get a school close to home, since it will be the only time in your career that you would have a chance to be anywhere near family.

DIBLO7
02-17-08, 12:48 PM
sorry i know i shouldn't post here...but what are the qualifications to get into mecep and how hard is it to get in???

Well first you need to be a Marine.

Read the above links and go to the USMC website and look up last years MARADMIN. It should tell you all you need to know.

If you want to know statistics go to the Marine Corps Recruiting Command Website, then to G-3 tab on the right. Next click on Officer programs, then Enlisted to Officer. Then MECEP.

DobbinsBlythe
02-17-08, 07:57 PM
Diblo7

Thanks for the info on the instate tution thing with the orders. (Even though that didn't come out clearly, I understand what you just said LOL)

Anyway, I think he wants to stay here in Florida, but I will talk to him about going back to Alabama. I don't know if that will work out. Plus, I think we're going to do some research on what schools have NROTC programs. Do you know of a good database of those schools?

Thanks again!

God Bless

DobbinsBlythe
02-17-08, 08:04 PM
Nevermind!!!! I found it!
https://www.nrotc.navy.mil/colleges.cfm

Brewer0311
02-17-08, 10:18 PM
As big of an Alabama fan I am I'd have to recommend he go to Auburn, Ole Miss, or Memphis just for the fact that you two would be able to see family more often. I'm also looking a little into this. Waiting until I'm done with this pump and see what the wife thinks.

DobbinsBlythe
02-18-08, 07:55 AM
He went to the University of Alabama... I don't know if he could handle Auburn. We might consider Tennessee.. but He's still not 100% sure of what he wants to do. Either way, I think the whole thing is hinging on OCS. I don't know if he wants to go through with another "Boot" process.

Any thoughts?

Retmarinewife
02-18-08, 09:23 AM
Hey there...I am new here but I am married to a guy who was in the Marine Corps 12 years. He retired because he was wounded.
He was enlisted for 6 years and then went on to become an Officer. He did that for 6 years too.
If your Marine has college, at least 2 years he can also look into the Meritorious Commissioning Program. That is the way my husband did it.
My husband said OCS was difficult but his prior service really helped him out. Also, they get weekends off after the first few weeks. You don't get that in boot camp. He was 1st in his academics. In TBS he was 7th overall. I think being prior gives a little advantage because they know some of the information already. For example, Land Navigation was easier for my hubby.

I think it was one of the best choices he made in his career.

Good luck to you

Brewer0311
02-18-08, 09:31 AM
He'll always be a boot to someone else. Doesn't matter if he's the SgtMaj of the Marine Corps. He'll still be a boot to the Commandant lol. While he's in NROTC it won't really be like being a boot at all becuase there will be a group of his peers there that have already been in and then the group of others that are fresh out of high school. If anything him being enlisted prior will help him out a lot. At least with the mental aspects. However, I haven't went through yet (I may stay enlisted so I may never go through it).

On a side note I just realized how close that our original homes are from each other. I'm from Muscle Shoals originally. Went to Calhoun and then UAB before I got in also.
'

What kind of officer is he wanting to be? With as many Marines in different MOSs here I'm sure someone could give some insight into what he'd be doing as one of his choices. Or is he going to try and be an officer in the field he's already in?

DobbinsBlythe
02-19-08, 06:42 AM
Well, he wants to stay with the field he's already in.. he's a 2651 Signals intel guy.. and he really enjoys it. Actually, the degree he's pursuing now is really befitting of what he's doing now, and I think he wants to stay with it.

I can't believe you lived back there! David and I grew up in Huntsville. I actually went to Calhoun for a semester!!! Crazy! David and I lived down the street there on Old Madison Pike and his parent's still do!

CRAZY!

Brewer0311
02-19-08, 04:51 PM
Yeah it is pretty crazy. I've got 7 different guys from my high school that are Marines now. 3 were my best friends. One that became a Corpsman and a few from different high schools right next to mine. Anyone else reading this would think it's pretty common, but I live in a very small town.

That's about how long I went to Calhoun too lol. And I know where you guys are from exactly. Sounds like he has a pretty good idea of what he's wanting to do then and that's good. I'm a grunt so I know that all our officers have degrees in different things since there isn't exactly an Bachelors of Infantry lol. So I don't really know if he has to have a degree in that MOS. I'm assuming no since the Marine Corps will pretty much teach you everything you need to know about your MOS. All up to your husband though. If you two want to make a career out of the Marines then do it. Me and my wife already came to a deal with it. I have to try to get accepted into the MECEP program and can finish out my 20+.

Melissa84
02-24-08, 01:25 AM
I am new here but what caught my eye was this topic. My husband is thinking of doing this. And alot of my questions have been answered but I still had a few more. I am confused. Are there deadlines for this? My understanding is that he can put his package together anytime but I read that there is a board in Nov and Feb so since Feb has passed would he need to do it now to make Nov? How long does it take for him to find out? If he is doing community college now where we are stationed does that help? He wants to go (if he gets in this program) to school In Norfolk, Va and there are several schools he can go to but how long would him and I need to be apart. Obviously the 10 weeks for the prep school but if he lives in Barracks at prep school would we still recieve BAH for my cost of living? o so many questions!!!!

Brewer0311
02-24-08, 07:15 AM
I am new here but what caught my eye was this topic. My husband is thinking of doing this. And alot of my questions have been answered but I still had a few more. I am confused. Are there deadlines for this? My understanding is that he can put his package together anytime but I read that there is a board in Nov and Feb so since Feb has passed would he need to do it now to make Nov? How long does it take for him to find out? If he is doing community college now where we are stationed does that help? He wants to go (if he gets in this program) to school In Norfolk, Va and there are several schools he can go to but how long would him and I need to be apart. Obviously the 10 weeks for the prep school but if he lives in Barracks at prep school would we still recieve BAH for my cost of living? o so many questions!!!!

I can answer a few of these. THey may not be 100% true so I'm sorry in advance if what I say gets corrected. I'm just going to say what I've seen.

I'm not completely positive about deadlines, but I know one Marine that put his package in and found out within a few weeks. This was around Feb. so that may be why. I've also been told that you almost never get accepted the first time. I haven't put mine in so I don't know.

I've been told that college credits prior to putting in your package does help.

Can't say how long you'd be away from each other. More than likely during OCS and TBS? I'd have to ask one of the Mustangs we have in our battalion to find that out for sure.

I want to say that he will still recieve BAH while he is at schooling (For MOS not college. I know he'll be getting it while in college.) It should work the same way as if he went to boot camp. Once your a Marine then you recieve the BAH. Enlisted boot camp you don't recieve it, but as soon as you graduate and go to a school you do.

Hope this helps you out. And again I'm sorry if some of my answers are wrong.

Melissa84
02-24-08, 10:34 AM
thanks for the answers. They do help and I know that when he goes to OCS which is in Va then i will go ahead and move up there and stay w a friend In Norfolk then he is wanting to go to school at Old Dominion in Norfolk so we will just rent/buy a place there.

DobbinsBlythe
02-24-08, 06:04 PM
I was told that TBS (the basic school) in Quantico, VA was only Monday through Friday. He should still receive BAH.. especially if he's training. Your family still has to have somewhere to live right?

OCS he will be away from you. You will live with him when he goes to school. I'm pretty sure he'll have the weekends with you during TBS also. That's what I've gathered from everyone who's posted with helpful answers here. :D

I'll be interested also to find out about the deadlines and the application process. There are probably answers on the usmc.mil page. That's where I found a lot of the documents with lots of helpful answers. :D

Brewer0311
02-24-08, 06:07 PM
I was told that TBS (the basic school) in Quantico, VA was only Monday through Friday. He should still receive BAH.. especially if he's training. Your family still has to have somewhere to live right?

OCS he will be away from you. You will live with him when he goes to school. I'm pretty sure he'll have the weekends with you during TBS also. That's what I've gathered from everyone who's posted with helpful answers here. :D

I'll be interested also to find out about the deadlines and the application process. There are probably answers on the usmc.mil page. That's where I found a lot of the documents with lots of helpful answers. :D

Actually the BAH is for the Marine to live not the family. He makes like 200 more a month becuase he's married. But i see what your saying lol.

DIBLO7
02-24-08, 06:54 PM
You do get BAH for enlisted boot camp, you just wont see it until you get your first duty station and do your travel claim. You get it for the zip code of your spouse.

Also, I know I saw this somewhere in the thread...if your married BAH is for your dependants, not the Marine. If it was for the Marine they would be getting BAH w/o dependants and would have to be a GySgt, or have an approved BAH own right form approved by his/her CO, otherwise they would be getting BAH-P. We have liquidated several Marine's pay for them collecting BAH w/ depn and not giving the wife any place to live.

While your husband is at the MECEP prep school you would continue to rate the BAH for your current location. Once he graduates from there you would get the BAH for the zip code of the university at which he is attending. Also, while he is at the prep school, you will receive FSA in the ammount of $250 per month after the first month.

My understanding is TBS is accompanied. I know that OCS is not.

As far as deadlines there is one MECEP board per year. If you look at MARADMIN 191/07 it will give you a good idea of when the board goes. Last year it went on 1 October. What is important however, is that that 1 October date is when HQMC's board goes. There are several other boards that happen before that.

For example, I'm with Marine Corps Security Force Company, Bangor. My package had to go through Marine Corps Security Force Battalion, and II MEF before it went to HQMC. That meant while HQMC's board was on 1 Oct, II MEF's was on 1 Sep, and MCSFBN's was 1 Jul. That meant my Company's board was at that beginning of June.

Having prior college credit may help, it may not. I havn't sat on a board. I do know that I got in with 45 credits, and a buddy of mine got in with 3. So the ammount of prior college you need may not be nessaraly important, unless its down to 1 or 2 spots and thats what puts you over the top.

I'm sorry if my answers are random, I keep scrolling up and down answering one at a time..

MARINEAKADI
02-24-08, 08:24 PM
Good Afternoon. I am a Marine Corps Drill Instructor, I am planning on applying for Officer, I recently took my SAT and scored a 1300. I don't really have time to research alot, what exactly do I need to do to apply for Officer, can anyone give me info? I hear I need to go on an officer board and write an essay..:evilgrin:

DIBLO7
02-24-08, 09:13 PM
Good Afternoon. I am a Marine Corps Drill Instructor, I am planning on applying for Officer, I recently took my SAT and scored a 1300. I don't really have time to research alot, what exactly do I need to do to apply for Officer, can anyone give me info? I hear I need to go on an officer board and write an essay..:evilgrin:

Assuming you are planning to do MECEP you first need to read the Order and appropriate MARADMINS. The MARADMIN for this year hasn't come out yet but last years is 191/07. The Order is in the link below. That should answer most of your questions.

http://www.usmc.mil/directiv.nsf/82001916d226893285256d12004936dd/fafd940586ee59618525677c006bfe0e?OpenDocument

Also, just as an FYI you need to fill out your profile before you'll get any more assistance.

Phantom Blooper
02-25-08, 06:11 AM
http://www.ocs.usmc.mil/

DobbinsBlythe
02-25-08, 08:15 PM
Diblo, by FSA you mean family separation allowance?

And what is MECEP prep school?!
Ok, so now theres:
1. OCS
2. TBS
3. prep school?

Please clarify how all this happens.....
minus the application portion. That part we've already looked up :D

Melissa84
02-26-08, 12:11 AM
okay so I know alot more now that my husband has talked to a Captain but I am confused on why everyone is saying I won't be with my husband for OCS??? I will be living in Norfolk, Va while he is in Quantico so do they not get w/e's off??? I should be able to see him then right> Then when he gets done and is in school he will be in Norfolk w me. I do know that OCS in the summer between fresh/soph year and if you have to go to prep school its the summer before fresh year. Prep school is prepping them for college. Its about 10 weeks in San Diego. I would prob stay in Yuma... where we are now while he is there then move to va towards the end of his prep school.

BAH is for the family support. unless you are not married.

DIBLO7
02-26-08, 12:24 AM
Diblo, by FSA you mean family separation allowance?

And what is MECEP prep school?!
Ok, so now theres:
1. OCS
2. TBS
3. prep school?

Please clarify how all this happens.....
minus the application portion. That part we've already looked up :D

Yes, FSA is family separation allowance.

The MECEP prep school is a 9 week course that is in San Diego the summer before he would report to the university. It is basically the Marine Corps way of preparing him for college life/classes since for most Marines it has been awhile since they have been in school.

OCS is the Officer Candidate School which he would go to the summer between his freshman and sophmore year. It is basically Officer boot camp.

TBS is The Basic School. He will go here after he gets his degree from the university. It is a 6 month long school that is basically a super indepth MCT (ask him what that is if you don't already know, it'd be easier than me explaining it to you).

MECEP Prep and OCS are not accompanied. My understanding is that TBS is.

So in a nutshell from start to finish the process goes:
Get accepted into MECEP
Get accepted into a school
MECEP prep (summer before school)
school
OCS (between freshman and sophmore year)
school
TBS (after graduating from college with a BA)

DIBLO7
02-26-08, 12:33 AM
The reason everyone is saying you wont be with your husband is because the Marine Corps is not paying for you to be with him. If you just so happen to live near him and he has some time off, good to go, ya'll can hang out.

However, in most cases the spouse is not near the Marine, and the Marine Corps is not going to pay to relocate you to him for such a short period of time.

I hope that makes sense, I'm getting a bit tired and my writing skills are diminishing..if you dont follow what I'm saying let me know and I'll clarify in the morning.

MARINEAKADI
02-26-08, 12:54 AM
I just found out today on base about SMART transcrips. The professor told me I am like 6 classes from getting my associates. Would it be better for me to apply for MCP or BOOST?:evilgrin:

DIBLO7
02-26-08, 09:07 AM
If you take this link it will give you the program requirements for each of the commissioning programs. Without knowing more about you and your situation I can't really give you an educated answer on which program would be better for you.

https://web.mcrc.usmc.mil/G3/Officer/enlistedOfficer.htm

Hope that helps.

DobbinsBlythe
02-26-08, 09:33 AM
OK, so TBS is like MCT.. isn't there a period where he'll go through training in his new MOS? When is that? What is it called?

Thanks for the clarification!!! I really appreciate it.

DIBLO7
02-26-08, 01:14 PM
That will be after TBS. He'll go to his MOS producing school then to his permanant duty station.

DobbinsBlythe
02-26-08, 06:15 PM
I'm guessing that PCS to MOS school is going to be based upon the length of time the MOS school is supposed to be for?

DIBLO7
02-26-08, 06:26 PM
That is my understanding.

Idena
02-26-08, 09:24 PM
I'm guessing that PCS to MOS school is going to be based upon the length of time the MOS school is supposed to be for?

That's correct. In many cases, the length of the MOS school is too short for a move to be authorized for a Marine's family. In which case, if you choose to move with him, it's on your dime. If the school is less than six months long, he is considered TAD, & only he is authorized to move. If it's longer than six months, the family can move too.

Idena
02-26-08, 09:27 PM

Monday through Friday is more or less accurate, but there are certainly times when he'll have training events on a Saturday, or he'll be voluntold to attend some sort of other base event. And there are remedial sessions for things like land nav that take place on Saturdays as well.

So the bottom line is that he will typically be home on Saturdays, but you can't count on it 100%. Believe that he's home for the weekend when you wake up Saturday morning & he's still there. :-)

Wyoming
02-26-08, 09:43 PM
Idena speaks - Her 4th post.

Welcome Ms Isrowei.

Semper Fidelis to your Husband!!

Idena
02-26-08, 09:46 PM
Idena speaks - Her 4th post.

Welcome Ms Iswori(sp)

Haha - thanks, Big Al! For the longest time my computer was fubared & wouldn't let me post in ANY of these forums, only read posts. For reasons unbeknownst to me, it started working again tonight. :sigh: Technology. Computers are wayyyy more Isrowei's thing than they are mine!

DobbinsBlythe
02-27-08, 06:57 PM
AHH! Hi Idena! It's nice to meet you! And thanks for the insight. It's nice to know other wives are out there with some insight!

God Bless!!

Idena
02-27-08, 09:16 PM
AHH! Hi Idena! It's nice to meet you! And thanks for the insight. It's nice to know other wives are out there with some insight!

God Bless!!

Nice to meet you too - I'll answer any questions to the best of my ability. :-)