PDA

View Full Version : Help Reading Military Records???

funkyrat
02-14-08, 07:23 PM
After many months of trying, and ultimately enlisting the help of our Congressman in DC, we obtained my deceased father-in-law's records - I guess as many as we're allowed to have.

I specifically listed on the form that we'd like information that had his unit or boot camp platoon numbers on it, as we're trying to obtain photos, etc.

I've got a stack of papers, and am having trouble making sense of it all.

It appears he graduated boot camp in May of 1961, but I'm not sure where to look for the platoon number. I may have his unit number somewhere, but the sheer volume of stuff is just overwhelming.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

I tried once before with the limited info I had, but I was told without a unit number, I'd likely strike out.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me.

My husband and I apprecate it.

LeonardLawrence
02-14-08, 11:41 PM
funkyrat, <br />
<br />
It may be helpful if you mention what records you have. You can tell usually by looking at the bottom and finding a DD number...a DD214 is discharge papers. This shows you awards, when...

LeonardLawrence
02-14-08, 11:58 PM
http://www.mcrdmuseumhistoricalsociety.org/histsoc/histsoc-photos.htm

SAN Diego recruits...you can get old Graudation books, platoon photos, etc. This may be useful in tracking down some intel.

LeonardLawrence
02-15-08, 12:00 AM
Additional Options. LEATHERNECK provides two free, space-available sections in which you can place an ad, “Mail Call” and “Reader Assistance.” Send your requests via e-mail to leatherneck@mca-marines.org (leatherneck@mca-marines.org) or write to: Mail Call Editor, P.O. Box 1775, Quantico, VA 22134. MARINE CORPS TIMES, a publication of MILITARY TIMES, offers the same type of column. Contact them on line at militaryonline@militrytimes.com (militaryonline@militrytimes.com) or call them at 703-750-8636.

If you are looking for anyone with personal information or pictures that may contain him....

LeonardLawrence
02-15-08, 12:01 AM
Parris Island Graduate resources:

Q: Where can I get a copy of my recruit training series book or platoon photo?
A: Platoon photos are available at Parris Island back to 1939. Photos taken between 1939 and 1950 are limited, however. Individual photos of Marines are also available, but only go back for four years. Recruit training series books are not available. To find out how to get photos, call Recruit Photo at (843) 228-1555.

LeonardLawrence
02-15-08, 12:09 AM
I saw your research you posted in August on the other site. Sorry, thought you were starting from scratch.

It is rare to find a boot camp number in a service record book. One of your best bets is if you have a medical record and there was work done at dental or medical, it may list the platoon number.

You might have luck finding someone who knew him if you posted information on here...and in Leatherneck. There are alot of 1960-70s era Folks on here and you may get lucky.

Good luck!