PDA

View Full Version : Need input ASAP.

DangerMMA
02-12-08, 11:49 AM
Going in for MEPS on thursday.

Here is the plan right now...If you could please tell me the pros/cons of my plan and what you would change or do differently I would really appreciate it.

My overall long term goals is OCS and then lead into a career with the FBI/CIA.

As of right now I have a full scholarship to USF and already have around 30 credit hours (Freshman this year). 1380 SAT, 98 on the ASVAB.

My recruiter suggested that I do the "92 Day Reservist Program." Here I would go to boot camp as an enlisted Marine this summer. Upon graduation I would be undeployable thanks to not having my MOS yet. I would go back to school for my sophomore year and next summer I would go for my MOS training. At this point he told me I could be deployed. However, he said that if I sign up for the PLC program IMMEDIATLY after I finish my MOS I would be undeployable again until I graduate from college. My family and my primary concern is getting my degree uninterupted. Does this sound too good to be true, or am I missing anything?

Also my biggest question for the recruiter was, why do the "92-Day Reservist Program" and then go into PLC as opposed to just going in PLC now. He said the military experience I will gain in boot camp and the drill I will already know by the time I go to PLC will be a huge asset and make me a better officer overall in the end.

Please, any input is appreciated.

Dave

RYDERKUR
02-12-08, 12:06 PM
Fill out your fvcking profile, do a search on here and Google and see if you can't find it. This **** is discussed all the time. You also sound like a *****. If you don't want to deploy and are too worried about yourself and your degree, then don't enlist.

DangerMMA
02-12-08, 12:07 PM
Fill out your fvcking profile, do a search on here and Google and see if you can't find it. This **** is discussed all the time.

I was in the process of filling it out while you wrote this, I figured a question regarding my future was paramount to my profile.

Dave

Isrowei
02-12-08, 12:25 PM
Fill out your fvcking profile, do a search on here and Google and see if you can't find it. This **** is discussed all the time. You also sound like a *****. If you don't want to deploy and are too worried about yourself and your degree, then don't enlist.

Advice is more constructive when delivered with grace and a lack of profanity. If you have no other way of expressing your views, then perhaps they should not be shared. Additionally, making personal disparaging attacks on a civilian is bad form and certainly not what one would expect of a Marine.

DIBLO7
02-12-08, 12:34 PM
Sound to me like the recruiter is trying to fill a quota...It also sounds to me like you are afraid to deploy...Maybe your not, but thats what I'm hearing from your post.

If I was in your shoes, I'd just do the whole PLC thing and skip the 92 day reservist.

edit..hit send to soon..

DangerMMA
02-12-08, 12:41 PM
Sound to me like the recruiter is trying to fill a quota...It also sounds to me like you are afraid to deploy...Maybe your not, but thats what I'm hearing from your post.

If I was in your shoes, I'd just do the whole PLC thing and skip the 92 day reservist.

edit..hit send to soon..

I have no fear of deployment what so ever, if they called me tomorow I would go in a heart beat. I just want to ensure myself a full college education without interuption.

My overall goal is to just be the best possible officer I can be in the long run. Regardless of what I have to do to get there.

Dave

RYDERKUR
02-12-08, 12:56 PM
I understand that, but it really isn't advice, it was a correction due to lack of following rules about the forum, sir. And then he says he figured his own personal future is more paramount to established rules. You are probably right about being a civilian, I have a bad habit of this and will work on correcting it sir.

DIBLO7
02-12-08, 01:18 PM
I have no fear of deployment what so ever, if they called me tomorow I would go in a heart beat. I just want to ensure myself a full college education without interuption.

My overall goal is to just be the best possible officer I can be in the long run. Regardless of what I have to do to get there.

Dave

Good to go, I would skip the 92 day reservist. Given, I don't know the in's and out's of the program, but I dont see why you wouldn't just go to and finish school, go to OCS, and do your thing..

Seems to me that the 92 day reservists thing would just slow you down to getting to your goal.

rvillac2
02-12-08, 02:02 PM

Dave

That is contradictory; Willing to deploy and education without interruption.

The majority of officers have superior careers without the benefit of having been enlisted first. We are not trying to talk you out of joining, but don't cry if you get activated the very next month out of MOS school. School will be delayed at least a year.

rvillac2
02-12-08, 02:03 PM
And by the way, if you're aspiring for FBI/CIA, don't get any tattoos.

Too late? I haven't seen an MMA fighter without any. LOL.

Isrowei
02-12-08, 02:25 PM
Work.. grrr. I'll post more when I get home for the day.

pblair
02-12-08, 07:18 PM
Don't be crazy and throw away your full ride. You slip into the reserves and you will find it difficult to continue your education. Finish your education. The Marine Corps will wait on you. If you are talking to an enlisted recruiter, you're talking to the wrong guy. He'll simply use you to fill his quota and forget about it. Going into boot camp now when your real goal is OCS is a pretty big mistake; one you will regret once you "get it".

Covey_Rider
02-12-08, 07:22 PM
What are you thinking of for an MOS?

DangerMMA
02-12-08, 08:32 PM
I appreciate all the input so far.

So, if I go with the 92 Day program, I CAN NOT transfer into PLC after I get my MOS? Is this correct?

Dave

rvillac2
02-12-08, 11:50 PM
I appreciate all the input so far.

So, if I go with the 92 Day program, I CAN NOT transfer into PLC after I get my MOS? Is this correct?

Dave

This question needs to be answered by an OSO. Patriotgirl and I have different interpretations of the program. I believe you cannot, she believes it is possible but she hasn't done it yet. Until we hear different, we do not have a definitive answer for you.

I, personally, have a problem with this path. You have contracted to fill an open spot in a Reserve unit. If you abandon that contract, that spot remains open and we have to work to refill it. We've gone through the trouble of letting you earn the Title, but you've haven't given anything back yet to the Corps. I'm not saying you have to serve your entire enlisted contract, but you should at least get MOS trained and a year or two of drills under your belt.

Just my 2 cents.

DEAVILA
02-13-08, 12:08 AM
Going in for MEPS on thursday.

Here is the plan right now...If you could please tell me the pros/cons of my plan and what you would change or do differently I would really appreciate it.

My overall long term goals is OCS and then lead into a career with the FBI/CIA.

As of right now I have a full scholarship to USF and already have around 30 credit hours (Freshman this year). 1380 SAT, 98 on the ASVAB.

My recruiter suggested that I do the "92 Day Reservist Program." Here I would go to boot camp as an enlisted Marine this summer. Upon graduation I would be undeployable thanks to not having my MOS yet. I would go back to school for my sophomore year and next summer I would go for my MOS training. At this point he told me I could be deployed. However, he said that if I sign up for the PLC program IMMEDIATLY after I finish my MOS I would be undeployable again until I graduate from college. My family and my primary concern is getting my degree uninterupted. Does this sound too good to be true, or am I missing anything?

Also my biggest question for the recruiter was, why do the "92-Day Reservist Program" and then go into PLC as opposed to just going in PLC now. He said the military experience I will gain in boot camp and the drill I will already know by the time I go to PLC will be a huge asset and make me a better officer overall in the end.

Please, any input is appreciated.

Dave

Most Potential PLC applicants prefer to go to Bootcamp before they apply, so that they can be physically and mentally ready for the PLC..If I were you, I'd go talk to an OSO, and make sure that you WILL be guaranteed a slot in the PLC when you come back from bootcamp as a 92day reservist.

In that case...Once you graduate from Bootcamp...and you go back to school you will not be a 92day reservist anymore..you will be in the PLC now..you will do your sophomore year of college, and do your 6 weeks of OCS in the summer...(other than going to your MOS school)..THen you'll do your Junior Year...(FULL-TIME of course)..and in that summer, do your other 6 weeks of OCS...You'll then go back to school, do your senior year and graduate with your degree and receive your commission as a 2nd Lt.

After that..You'll got to TBS...etc..

Im going to bootcamp as a 92day reservist, and after graduating, I will be a 2nd semester Freshman in College..I will apply for the PLC at that time..so that In the summer of 09' I will do my 6 weeks of OCS...and the Summer after that..my other 6 weeks...and etc...

rvillac2
02-13-08, 10:41 AM
Most Potential PLC applicants prefer to go to Bootcamp before they apply, so that they can be physically and mentally ready for the PLC.

That simply isn't true. PLC is a separate program and has nothing to do with bootcamp. The majority of PLC candidates do not even consider enlisting as it puts a potential delay in their graduation. Also, IIADT (92day) contracts are not as abundant as you might think. They are limited to certain MOS's and those MOS's have to be open at the Reserve unit you're planning to join.

lagrand
02-13-08, 12:01 PM
I hope you don't mind me asking...is it a requirement to be enrolled in college classes to participate in the IIADT (92 days) program? If it is a requirement, would I (or anyone) be able to enlist, go to Recuit Training, and then apply for college? Thank you.

lagrand
02-13-08, 12:09 PM
Ignore my last post.

MCO 1001R.54E
6. Eligibility
b. Be a high school senior who has been accepted for

enrollment on a full-time basis in a college, university, approved
vocational/technical school; or be a high school graduate currently
enrolled on a full-time basis in such an institution (hereupon
referred to as "educational institution").

Sorry about that.

DangerMMA
02-13-08, 04:31 PM
They are limited to certain MOS's and those MOS's have to be open at the Reserve unit you're planning to join.

Thats my problem right now, I have all my paperwork done and supposed to have MEPS tomorow but none of the MOS's they offered to me appealed to me, they were all mechanics pretty much....not really what I want to do. So Im currently awaiting a call to see if they could find any open slots for an MOS that I would actually want.

Dave