PDA

View Full Version : Please identify this ribbon

TressInBlack
02-10-08, 07:36 PM
Hello all. I am trying to identify a ribbon in the following picture of General Pace.
www.indymarines.org/images/GenPeterPaceUSMC.jpg (http://www.indymarines.org/images/GenPeterPaceUSMC.jpg)

Far right column, second from the bottom, white with two yellow stripes: what is it?

I haven't been able to track it down anywhere, and the other pictures I've found of Gen. Pace have not included that ribbon.

Thanks much for your assistance, and thanks for setting up this new area on the website! I was overjoyed to see it appear yesterday, as USMC uniforms are fascinating to me and I am trying to learn as much as I can about them.

'tress

Wyoming
02-10-08, 09:14 PM

Can't find it on ribbon checker -

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/ribbonchecker.php

Hell, I didn't know the Defense Superior Service ribbon was as high up as it is.

Sheeit, didn't even know there was one.

Shows how much I know.

sgt tony
02-10-08, 09:24 PM
Hey I didn't know you got stars on the fire watch ribbon either

Wyoming
02-10-08, 09:30 PM

I'm missing something here. Like 6, I don't understand.

HELP!!!!

kaboom1371
02-10-08, 09:34 PM

heck those are given for signing your name anyway. :evilgrin:

davblay
02-10-08, 09:35 PM

Yep you do for each conflict you are involved in or served during! Sure do! ;)

yellowwing
02-10-08, 09:46 PM
The mystery ribbon is right next to the ribbons from the Vietnam gov't. His official USMC.mil bio says:

General Pace has held command at virtually every level, and served in overseas billets in Nam Phong, Thailand; Seoul, Korea; and Yokota, Japan.
Perhaps one of those gov'ts awarded General Pace the white and yellow ribbon.

TressInBlack
02-10-08, 11:41 PM
Wow, thanks for the response you guys! :)

It took me about two hours to figure them out...I'm still working on the stars and other accoutrements and what they mean (don't tell me yet, I'm going to dig it up eventually.) I made the mistake of referring to some of those as 'fig leaves' and the young out-of-the-service Marine I was talking to at the time had a good laugh!

Yellowwing, the fact that you and the others don't immediately know the one I'm asking about is a valuble piece of info in itself. I looked at several other pictures of high-ranking Marines and none of them have it; therefore it's not one I should spend excessive time on. It will remain an interesting puzzle!

Thanks for the input!

Wyoming
02-10-08, 11:45 PM
The mystery ribbon is right next to the ribbons from the Vietnam gov't. His official USMC.mil bio says:

Wing, maybe so, but is it allowed to be worn?

Hell, I was knighted by a m'yard queen and I never got no ribbon.:D

yellowwing
02-11-08, 06:43 AM
Fig Leaves? LMAO Now that is a funny one. I spent an hour on Google images scanning around to no avail. Good mystery. Does anyone know any Aide De Camps for General Pace?

Well hey Big Al, when you get that 4th Star mebbe' Congress will allow the Montagnard Knight ribbon! Sir Knight of the Highlands? :nerd:

yellowwing
02-11-08, 09:58 AM

General Pace has held command at virtually every level, and served in overseas billets in Nam Phong, Thailand; Seoul, Korea; and Yokota, Japan.
We have a winner! Its Japan's Order of the Sacred Treasure (3rd Class) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Sacred_Treasures).

ggyoung
02-11-08, 11:53 AM
wtf?

GySgtRet
02-11-08, 12:35 PM
I watched as this unfolded over the past couple of days. I am curious as to what you are doing? It is just for information or something else? Don't get me wrong about you I am more than interested too about all Marines since I are one too. Your facination is pretty intense. But come on a FIG leaf. That is funny though. I will give you a hint the leaf you are seeking does come from a tree and has verieties all over the world.

Wing the first known Aide-de-Camp was a Captain Baggette from Buffalo when General Pace was a BG back in the 90s at Quantico. When he became the VC of JCS he had a LtCommander as his Aide Both fine in their own right.

I know that General Pace served in WESTPAC as MC Bases Far East after coming back from Somolia sometime in tha leate 90s.

Happy hunting.

:thumbup:

FistFu68
02-11-08, 12:50 PM
:evilgrin: EVERYTHING A'BOUT GENERAL PACE IS ON THE UP @ UP,I WAS WONDERING THE SAME THING;WHAT IS YOU'R REAL MOTIVATION BEHIND THE SCRUTINY BEHIND THIS OUTSTANDING MARINE OFFICER???:evilgrin: :iwo:

yellowwing
02-11-08, 01:06 PM
General Pace's duty in Yokota Japan (http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/news/2003/06/mil-030620-afps02.htm)

From November 1993 to June 1996 Myers was commander of U.S. Forces Japan and 5th Air Force at Yokota Air Base, Japan.

From my research Non Japanese are eligible for meritorious and military service.

I personally sense only genuine curiosity from the original question.

Thanks much for your assistance, and thanks for setting up this new area on the website! I was overjoyed to see it appear yesterday, as USMC uniforms are fascinating to me and I am trying to learn as much as I can about them.

'tress

TressInBlack
02-11-08, 08:20 PM
Here’s some of where I’m coming from….

The uniform of every Marine tells a story. The Marine doesn’t have to open his/her mouth at all; the uniform speaks for them. But only to those of us willing to learn what it all means.

Rest assured, this is in no way about General Pace. This was my thought process: I wanted MORE than just a list of decorations to read about. I wanted some pictures of actual uniforms with which to test myself. So I entered “USMC” or some such thing into Google Images search, and his image was one of the first and best pictures I found. The ribbons were so easy to see on that huge picture! I had a good time puzzling them out. General Pace was a completely random choice. But it was a good thing. I learned more than just decorations. I had no idea he was the FIRST Marine ever to be Chairman of the Joint Chiefs. I find that very curious. The Marines are just as good as the other services (better, of course), so why haven’t they held the top spot until now? Is it because they are part of the Navy and when the Navy holds the top spot, they are also representing the Marines?

(don’t answer that, it’s merely an example of how I get going-)

GySgtRet: yes, I’ve learned that they are oak-leaf clusters, not fig leaves. I expect my punishment will consist of bad fig leaf jokes from my Marine co-worker for the next couple of months!

Yellowwing: you know, I had checked into the Japanese award, but the pictures I saw led me to believe it was a badge without a ribbon, kind of like the Basic Parachute award in the General’s picture. I just didn’t dig far enough, thanks.

One more thing: if I have any more uniform questions, should I NOT post them in the Uniform U section? I thought I understood Sgt. Leprechaun’s ‘Welcome’ message to include Marines AND non-Marines with uniform questions, but this thread was moved almost immediately after I posted it.

'tress
AKA that nosy chick

8th&I Marine
02-11-08, 08:30 PM
I happened to have sereved under General Pace (then Col) at 8th & I. He is one outstanding Marine. I have heard some of his stories back when he was a Lt in the city of Hue. He has earned everyone of thos ribbons and then some. Semper Fi

Cantrell:flag:

GySgtRet
02-11-08, 09:20 PM
I know what you mean about General Pace. He was my CO on recruiting dut at Buffalo, NY from 80 - 83. When we departed company I thought that I would never see him again. I was wrong I got stationed at Quantico after recruting, went to Okinawa, came back to Camp LeJuene, back to Okinawa, then a humanitarian transfer to Henderson Hall. I retired in October of 93. To my surprise General Pace was to retire me along with a couple of Marines I was on recruting duty with. General Pace was a BG at the time and had just come back from Somolia to retire me. He and the other Marines roasted me pretty well. I have never heard him say anything derogatory about any Marine ever. He always speaks very highly of any Marines that served with him. He spoke of Vietnam as all hands meeting around Buffalo he would arange for all of us to get TAD and per diem, put us all up at a hotel. He would call it PME. This way he could get us all together at one time, not to do anything negative, we would od a PFT, or have some real PME, he would dpeak about Que City and the Marines that he lost along the way. If you saw the pictures of the Vietnam Wall back on October the 1st, then you know that these Marines and all Marines mean the world to him.

Now I wonder what the "nosy chick" will come up with next?

:banana:

FistFu68
02-11-08, 09:46 PM
:usmc: NO BIGGY,VIETNAM CROSS OF GALLANTRY WITH PALM DEVICE;VIETNAMEISE MERITORIOUS UNIT CITATION FIRST CLASS WITH PALM DEVICE! THE OAK LEAF CLUSTER YOU SPEAK OF IS US.ARMY DECORATION DEVICE :usmc:

Riven37
02-12-08, 08:36 AM
It wasn't easy but I believe its the Order of the Scared Treasure from Japan when Pace was in Command of Japan theater back in the 1990's

Sgt Leprechaun
02-14-08, 07:48 AM
Just chiming in here...Good answer Yellow Wing!!!! Nice bit of research.

And, to give FYI, it's common practice for US allies to award General Officers high level foriegn awards as an 'end of tour' award after a successful tour of duty. While not as common, the United States does the same thing, we use the Legion of Merit, in different classes, (depending on how high ranking one is) for the same thing.

SgtShipley
03-21-08, 01:58 PM
I have a question and a comments:

Comment: Yes, you can definitely put stars on the National Defense Ribbon.
I have one for when I served in VietNam (70-71) and I have a star for serving as a Navy Corpman during Desert Storm.
Comment: My favorite ribbon is the National Defense and to have two of them is an honor. I know all about the different terms we use ( Fire watch ribbon, etc) and I take them in stride as most of us do, but my stars came with a 20 year seperation. First one in 1970 and the last one in 1990-91.
I was honored in 1970 and remain so till this day. The colors are also my favorite....Red, White, and Blue....Semper Fi till I die! Which brings me to my question:

Question: "till I die" .... I served in the Marine Corps from 1970-74 as a Marine grunt ( Nam-3/5 and 3/1, 1970-71) and later as a Combat Engineer from 1972-74. I got out as an E-5 Sgt.
I only stayed out for a few months, I had a hard time in the 70's trying to get jobs...(Nam vets were not looked upon too well....boo koo ding dau was the tag we were given I guess.)

I decided it would be best if i went into the Navy and become a Navy Corpman, which accomplished in 1975. I Retired in 1992 as an E-6 Navy Corpman ( I am Queson03 on the ********************* web site). Q: If I decide on the Marine Dress Green for burial....what rank do I put on the Uniform? E-5 or E-6? Like i said...I retired in 1992 as an E6 Corpman. No problem with the ribbons, etc. I served with the 3/5 and 3/1 in Nam ( mortarman). I served on the USS Hancock CVA-19 in 1975 and served on active duty during Desert Storm.
Semper Fi, SgtShipley

Sgt Leprechaun
03-21-08, 02:35 PM
Sgt Shipley:

Were you eligible as a Corpsman to 'go green'? If so, there's your answer. If you were an FMF Corpsman you could wear the greens with your highest rank earned.

Otherwise, what I would do is go with your highest Marine rank earned, if you want to 'go out' in Forest Green. And have your navy uniform hanging nearby.

Make darn sure you set up your uniforms AHEAD of time, and express those wishes to your family. Otherwise....it may not look the way you want it to.

Thanks for your service, BTW.

ghcater
05-22-08, 11:07 AM
Clearly a foreign personal decoration being between his last US ribbon and the RVN Gallantry Cross unit award. The Japanese medal seens likely as there does not appear to be a South Vietnamese medal with that ribbon. See http://www.saintjohn.nbcc.nb.ca/host/vietnam/index.htm for a view of all RVN medals.

S/F,
GH Cater
:usmc:

grabberorange
06-11-10, 03:24 PM
this ribbon is
Captain Eddie Rickenbacker Achievement

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7d/Rickenbacker.gif (http://www.statemaster.com/encyclopedia/Image:Rickenbacker.gif)
For completion of the 4th Achievement in Phase II of the CAP Cadet Program

It is a civil air patrol ribbon

USNAviator
06-11-10, 03:53 PM
this ribbon is
Captain Eddie Rickenbacker Achievement

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7d/Rickenbacker.gif (http://www.statemaster.com/encyclopedia/Image:Rickenbacker.gif)
For completion of the 4th Achievement in Phase II of the CAP Cadet Program

It is a civil air patrol ribbon

I have my doubts. The white on this ribbon is darker the white on Gen. Paces. For some reason I can't picture Gen. Pace wearing a CAP ribbon. CAP?? I don't think so

Dan

TinDragon
06-11-10, 04:37 PM
Nice necrobump by the way.

Sgt Leprechaun
06-11-10, 07:49 PM
Man, no kidding. And no way would General Pace be wearing a CAP ribbon.