PDA

View Full Version : Marines slug it out on base

thedrifter
02-09-08, 08:00 AM
Marines slug it out on base
KEVIN FORSYTHE
February 9, 2008 - 12:50AM
DAILY NEWS STAFF

For Marine boxing Coach Robert Michael, himself a former silver medalist in the event, the Armed Forces Boxing Championships being hosted by Camp Lejeune means a lot.

"There's no better feeling for an athlete boxing in front of their own crowd," said Michael.

The Marine Corps boxing took the silver medal at this year's Armed Forces Boxing Championships. Winning the team gold medal was the U.S. Army.

"I love boxing because the competition is one on one and you're out there winning or losing on your own - it's honorable," said Marine Cpl. Edgar Rameriz.

Hosted by Camp Lejeune, boxers from all braches of service competed not only for bragging rights, but for a chance to continue on to the Council International du Sport Militaire - the military equivalent of the international Olympic Games.

It was a good crowd in attendance for the championships: a mix of military, civilian and boxing enthusiasts.

Included in this year's championships were two female bouts. The female bouts were of an exhibition format and did not enter into the team rankings.

By the end of the championship, three Marines would be wearing a gold medal for their effort. But in the quest for team gold, things got off to a shaky start for the Marines.

Army 2nd Lt. Michael Benedosso beat his Marine opponent.

"I have to admit I was a bit jittery at first, but once things got started I was able to get settled. I don't think I fought my best fight, but I'm glad I won for my team," said Benedosso.

Unlike many of the boxers, Benedosso never boxed prior to entering military service.

A recent graduate of West Point, Benedosso said that one of the first classes cadets are required to take is boxing.

"One of my coaches saw me in class and thought I had some natural boxing ability and before I knew it he pulled me aside to talk about the boxing team," Benedosso said.

The three-day event was free and open to the public - and the public did come out to see quality boxing firsthand.

"I keep up with boxing a lot on television, but this week is the first I've actually seeing it live. It's quicker in person than I anticipated," said Bobby Reeves of Swansboro.

Gunnery Sgt. Derrick Brown was in attendance with his sons Keishon, 10, and Isaiah, 5. It was his sons' first time to a championship boxing tournament.

"I want to see a knock out," said Keishon.

For Brown, it was his second time attending the Armed Forces Boxing Championships.

"I like the competition of it all," he said.

"Of course," he added with a smile, "I want to see the Marines win."

There was also a father-son connection with one of the Marine boxers. Rameriz, who was the gold medal winner in the 132 lb. weight class, was simply following in his father's footsteps.

"My father was a boxer in Mexico; he was a golden gloves champion," said Rameriz. "I started out as a kid watching my father train, and by the time I was 14 I was in my first competition."

For Air Force Staff Sgt. Rosey Summerville, boxing wasn't a matter of continuing a family tradition, but rather falling in love with the sport.

"The physical and mental aspect of the sport is appealing to me. I also like that it's all on you whether you win or lose when you step in the ring," said Summerville.

Summerville was last year's gold medal winner in the 125 lb. class.

This year Marine Cpl. Andre Ramirez beat Summerville earlier in the tournament.

And on Thursday, Ramirez went on to slug-out a gold medal in this year's competition.

"I went in with the idea of staying on the outside and straight punching," said Ramirez. But, it wasn't long into the bout that both Ramirez and his Army foe were slugging it out before a cheering crowd.

"Sometimes it just comes to that," said Ramirez about his change in strategy.

While the military athletes focus on honing their boxing skills, USMC Coach Michael said there's much more than just boxing going on with the athletes.

"These boxers truly are ambassadors for the military," said Michael.

Contact Kevin Forsythe at kforsythe@freedomenc.com or 910-353-1171. Go to jdnews.com to comment on this story.

Gold medal winners of the championship bouts were:

112 lb.: Michael Benedosso, Army

119 lb.: John Franklin, Army (unopposed)

125 lb.: Andre Ramirez, USMC

132 lb.: Edgar Rameriz, USMC

141 lb.: Samuel Martinez, USMC

152 lb.: Nathaniel Hicks, Army

165 lb.: Zacchaeus Hardrick, Army

178 lb.: Jeffrey Spencer, Army

201 lb.: Joe Guzman, Army

201+ lb.: Andrew Shepherd, Army

Ellie