PDA

View Full Version : Engineers are jacks of all trades

thedrifter
02-08-08, 05:20 AM
Engineers are jacks of all trades
KEVIN FORSYTHE
February 8, 2008 - 12:45AM
DAILY NEWS STAFF

Marines historically show up in some of the most hostile and unforgiving environments in the world.

"In most situations the first thing a combat commander does is look for his engineers," said Lt. Col. Michael Miller, executive officer of the Marine Corps Engineer School at Camp Lejeune.

This specially trained group of Marines is an integral part of any Marine unit.

"Marines need to shoot, move and communicate," said Gunnery Sgt. Frank Borkowski, a bridge building instructor at the engineering school.

Whether the assignment is to clear a route through a mine field, traverse a gorge, establish a firm base, provide drinkable water or seek out improvised exploding devices, Marine engineers are trained to handle all these scenarios and many more.

"Engineers truly are the jacks of all trades for the Marine Corps," Borkowski said.

Borkowski's comments came as a group of engineering students were assembling the numerous modular parts that make up what is known as a medium girder bridge.

In as little as four hours, the bridge can be built and span a 151-foot crossing. Upon completion, the bridge has the capacity to withstand the weights of large logistic and combat vehicles.

Do not be misled into thinking Marine engineers sit around waiting to be called to use their special skills.

"Engineers are regular fighting Marines with occupational specialties," Miller said.

To qualify as an engineer, Marines must successfully complete a six-week program.

Units made up of 28 to 35 Marines undergo intense training comprised of lectures, classroom work, practical application exercises and testing.

It's not a given that every Marine participating will pass the training. The testing aspect of the programs is not taken lightly.

Gunnery Sgt. Steve Miller, an instructor in mine detection, said there is no room for error in detecting mines and other ordnance.

"To pass this phase of the program, Marines must find every mine laid out in a testing path, not a single one can be missed," Miller said.

The engineering school divides curriculum into two primary groups: combat and utilities instruction.

The combat engineering training focuses on direct combat areas such as bridge building, mine detection, locating weapons caches and ordnance disposal.

Utilities instruction covers a broad range of construction and environmental areas such as electrical maintenance, power generation, creating and distributing drininking water and a broad range of building and maintenance issues.

While the combat engineering skills are key to safely getting Marines and their equipment to where they are going, utilities training is crucial in providing base camps and other tangible services.

"The engineers are required to go to an area and basically set up a country," Miller said

Constructing buildings, establishing perimeter barriers, creating landing strips and getting power supplies up and running are crucial to a fighting Marine unit.

But, it's not just in combat situations where engineers get called upon to provide their specially trained services.

It's often engineers who are the first to arrive and last to leave when it comes to humanitarian missions.

"After the tsunami in 2004, the initial relief effort was purely engineering," Miller said.

Marine engineers arrived on the scene and immediately began work on reestablishing electrical power and creating drinkable water.

Marine engineer skills are put to use every day and in every imaginable scenario.

"Everything we do (at the Engineering School) is being utilized right now in the Middle East - and whenever the next fight comes along, it will be again," Borkowski said.

Lt. Col. Miller, who in October returned from deployment in Afghanistan, said it's imperative the Marines continue to remain faster, lighter and stronger than its adversaries.

"We must keep our knowledge skills up and keep pace with construction techniques and technology advancements," he said.

For Borkowski, being an instructor at the Engineering School is the best job on the base.

"Every day I get paid to be a big kid," he said. "I spend my day putting together giant erector sets. What could be better?"

Contact military reporter Kevin Forsythe at kforsythe@freedomenc.com or 910-219-8449.

Ellie