PDA

View Full Version : Hidden warrior: Burlington native decorated for service in Iraq

thedrifter
02-07-08, 08:47 AM
Hidden warrior: Burlington native decorated for service in Iraq
By Keren Rivas / Times-News
February 6, 2008 - 5:08PM

Donald K. Williams has done a lot of behind-the-scenes work for the Marine Corps as first sergeant for the Service Company in the 2nd Marine Logistics Group in Iraq.

Since he was assigned to the post in September 2006, the 1988 Southern High School graduate has been advising the company’s commanding officer in all administrative matters — from discipline, conduct and morale issues to combat readiness and professional awards and merits.

Among other things, Williams’ company handles the disbursing of money to Marines in Iraq, delivers the mail in the Iraqi province of Al Anbar, operates the “Wal-Marts of Iraq” — as Williams described these PX facilities — and oversees the retrieval of the remains of service personnel killed in action.

“It is like being the vice president of a company,” 38-year-old Williams said Tuesday in an attempt to describe his job in lay terms. “My job is to advise him as to what he should do as a commanding officer.”

Williams’ superiors were so impressed with the way he performed his duties in the 18 months he has been with the logistics group that they nominated him for a Meritorious Service Medal.

In the letter of recommendation for the award, his superiors noted that many times Williams handled issues at a “Major Subordinate Command Level,” which means he interacted and coordinated different actions directly with senior members of the general’s staff.

Williams not only demonstrated “strong” leadership and administrative skills, the letter said. In the 18 months he served with the logistics group, he also “made the body and souls of every Marine a top priority” focusing on family readiness and family advocacy issues.

“He has truly left his mark on over 270 Marines that he has served with …and he has positively influenced a new ‘Greatest Generation’ of Marines,” the letter said.
President Bush agreed with the recommendation and on Wednesday, Marine Corps Brig. Gen. James A. Kessler awarded Williams the Meritorious Service Medal.

The medal, which according to Public Affairs Officer 1st. Lt. Philip Klay is one step lower than a Bronze Star, is not given based on a single action but rather for outstanding service during the course of deployment.

“It’s a huge honor,” he said.

WILLIAMS, WHO WILL be coming back to the United States Monday, credited all the Marines he works with as the reason for the award, saying that they played an important role in keeping things running smoothly. “It is definitely an honor,” he added.

Williams joined the Marine Corps in 1990, after serving in the Army Reserves for two years. Before taking the post with the service company, Williams served for years as a military policeman.

“I am very proud of him,” said Williams’ father, Kenneth Williams, who lives in Burlington. “It’s been a hard year. This is really good for him.”

In February 2007, just weeks after Williams was deployed to Iraq for his second tour of duty, his mother, Janice, died unexpectedly. “He had to come back for the funeral and go back again,” 68-year-old Kenneth Williams said, adding that the transition was very hard.

Donald Williams said that being away when his mother died and not seeing his wife and kids for long stretches of time are perhaps the hardest parts of his deployment. But he said he wouldn’t trade his experience in the Marines for anything.

“I certainly love the Marine Corps,” he said. “It’s one of the biggest honors I’ve experienced in my life.”
He added, “It’s an honor to represent our nation (in other countries) and do what we do.”

Williams said that though he is two years away from qualifying for retirement, he plans on staying in. He said that between his first and second tour of duty he has seen positive changes in attitudes and progress in Iraq, particularly in the once treacherous Al Anbar province where he’s been stationed.

The elder Williams said his son will receive a degree in business soon and has already been recommended for sergeant major. The Marines, he said, “made a man out of him.”

THE WILLIAMS FILE
NAME: Donald K. Williams
RANK: First sergeant, Service Company, 2nd Marine Logistics Group, II Marine Expeditionary Force
CURRENT LOCATION: Camp Al Taqaddum, Iraq
HOME STATION: Camp Lejeune
SCHOOL HISTORY: Attended both Williams and Southern high schools. He graduated from Southern in 1988.
FAMILY: Married his high school sweetheart, Dawn, December 1990. The couple has three children — Two girls ages 12 and 8 and a 2-year old boy. His father, 68-year-old Kenneth Williams, as well as many uncles, aunts and cousins, live in Burlington. He is the youngest of three children.
PLACES HE'S BEEN STATIONED: Japan, Hawaii, California and Virginia
HOBBIES: Running. “It allows me to escape the day-to-day routine and clear my head.”
FAVORITE SPORTS TEAM: Duke basketball. “I am a die-hard Duke men’s and women’s basketball fan. I watch every game I can from here …My father and I talk constantly about the team.”
INTERESTING STORY: Williams was featured in the Times-News in August 1990 after he proposed to his wife-to-be by placing a lighted billboard in his parents’ front yard on South Mebane Street. The billboard read: “Will you marry me”, followed by the line, “She said yes.”

Ellie