PDA

View Full Version : Firefighter gets Purple Heart for Iraq injury

thedrifter
02-06-08, 07:27 PM
Firefighter gets Purple Heart for Iraq injury

The 23-year-old got the medal as he graduated from the fire academy.

By Gordon Jackson, The Times-Union

ST. MARYS, Ga. - City officials have no doubt about the ability of one of their newest firefighters to respond under pressure.

Prior to taking his oath as a new member of the St. Marys Fire Department on Tuesday, Ian Phillipps was singled out among the 14 firefighter recruits for a distinction unique among city employees.

As other recruits, family members and city employees stood, Phillipps, 23, was presented a Purple Heart Medal for injuries sustained a year earlier while he was serving with the Marines in Iraq.

"We had a lot of injuries," Phillipps said of the platoon he served with in Iraq.

"We were lucky to make it though. I know I was definitely lucky," Phillipps said.

Of the 32 Marines in his platoon, Phillipps said 29 were presented Purple Heart Medals for combat injuries.

Phillipps said firefighting runs in his family and he looks forward to his new duties.

"This is a job I've always wanted," he said. "I really like the small-town atmosphere in St. Marys."

Phillipps' father, David Phillipps, said he didn't know his son was getting the medal Tuesday until he got a call at his home in Pittsburgh just after noon Monday.

He and his son's grandparents hastily packed their luggage and drove from Pennsylvania to St. Marys, arriving in time for the late afternoon ceremony.

David Phillipps said he was surprised when he was asked to pin the medal on his son, who was dressed in his new firefighter's uniform.

A Marine read the proclamation from President Bush describing the medal as evidence of "sacrifice and service" to his nation and David Phillipps affixed the medal to his son's shirt.

David Phillipps said it was an emotional experience, especially since it was the first year anniversary of his son's concussion that led to the medal.

"I'm extremely proud," he said. "I'm very happy."

City Manager Bill Shanhan said Phillipps is the first city employee to ever be presented a Purple Heart in a city ceremony.

He said city officials have high expectations and lots of confidence Phillipps will be a great city employee.

"Having him on board just makes the city safer," Shanhan said.

"Just think of the example he'll make to the young firemen. You can't help but to have the utmost respect," Shanhan said.

St. Marys Fire Chief Robbie Horton described Phillipps as "one of the most committed people I've ever seen."

Horton said Phillipps was a volunteer firefighter for the city for about 18 months while he was stationed at Kings Bay Naval Submarine Base as part of the Marines security force on base.

Horton said he and other firefighters were worried when they learned Phillipps was wounded in Iraq and relieved when he returned home and fully recovered.

After Phillipps took his oath as a firefighter, Horton said he had a task for his newest employee.

Before his deployment to Iraq in July 2006, Phillipps cleaned Horton's office and hung an air freshener near his desk.

Horton left the air freshener hanging in his office as a gesture of support for the former volunteer firefighter and Marine.

The first order Phillipps got as a new city employee was to go to Horton's office and remove the spent air freshener.

"He'll understand," Horton told the audience.

gordon.jackson@jacksonville.com,

(912) 729-3672

Ellie