PDA

View Full Version : Battalions

wannabe0311
02-04-08, 04:57 PM
I was wondering in bootcamp if each battalion is diffrent? My friend told me something about one battalion is known for their drills and another for their pt. Im not real sure what he was saying but it sounded like each battalion had something that their good at then the other battalions? does anyone know what im talking about?

:scared:

USMC8541Sgt
02-04-08, 05:13 PM
3rd Batt! The PT HOUNDS!!!!

wannabe0311
02-04-08, 05:25 PM
My friend was 3rd battalion lima company but he said they are are the toughest on recruits. Now is there a diffrence in all the battalions?

SlingerDun
02-04-08, 05:41 PM
My friend was 3rd battalion lima company but he said they are are the toughest on recruitsYeah 1st wore red PT shirts, 2nd gold, 3rd blue. How could your friend know whats tough and what aint if he didn't do a double blind experiment with the other two???http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif

--->Dave

FightsOn97
02-04-08, 05:47 PM
I was in Platoon 3018, 3rd BN, M Co. at P. I. We figured out that 1st BN was known for their being good at Knowledge, 2nd BN was good at drill, and 3rd BN was PT since we were away from RTR HQ. I guess that gave the DIs plenty of time to "make us pay" in the pits!!!

wannabe0311
02-04-08, 05:49 PM
I dont know but he said that 3rd battalion is far from anybody so the drill instructors can do anything to you. I guess thats why he thinks that.

PatriotGirl422
02-04-08, 07:05 PM
No there's no difference between the batallions. It depends on what the DIs want to emphasize. Everyone's gonna say that their batallion was best at something or another. Of course, we all know that 4th BTN is the best at everything. We're the secret weapon!

sparkie
02-04-08, 07:45 PM
Of course, I'm the best,,, 3rd Bat, LOL.......... Just the old friendly competition. Nothing new there, Don't believe all the scuttlebut you hear.

wannabe0311
02-04-08, 08:08 PM
Ok thanks for all the replies. My friend told me one of the drill instructors strangled a kid with a laundry bag for scrathing his neck uh o.

:cry:

SgtHopperUSMC
02-04-08, 10:08 PM
Ok thanks for all the replies. My friend told me one of the drill instructors strangled a kid with a laundry bag for scrathing his neck uh o.

:cry:Nope never happend.......3rd Bn all the way!

By the way is that kid still kickin?:evilgrin:

wannabe0311
02-05-08, 04:17 PM
What do you mean by kickin? But dont worry i dont mind which battalion i get.

sparkie
02-05-08, 04:24 PM
Worry????? You better worry! Whatever Batallion gets you, WILL run your azz up the flagpole, and NOT Salute,,, LOL. Good luck, Son,,,, I mean that.

wannabe0311
02-05-08, 07:53 PM
o thank you brotha:)

Wyoming
02-05-08, 08:03 PM
o thank you brotha:)

You talking about Sparkie?

Yeah, he my brotha too. Jeez!!!

INCOMING!!!!!

sparkie
02-05-08, 08:06 PM
Maybe you can call me brother some day,,,, maybe. Pay your friggin dues first,Son.

wannabe0311
02-05-08, 08:37 PM
lol i will im sorry.

:beer:

RandallH1989
02-06-08, 12:15 PM
There's nothing like the 3rd herd. 8-)

The others are nasty! Actually i'm not sure if there is a real difference - I think they all talk crap about eachother and say they're better than one another - but I do know that drill instructors from all battalions have at least a little bit of respect for Mike Co. Every time a drill instructor wanted to mess with a recruit, and they asked "What company are we from?" and we said Mike, he'd leave us alone or just talk to us normally.

temarti
02-06-08, 12:26 PM
I dont know but he said that 3rd battalion is far from anybody so the drill instructors can do anything to you. I guess thats why he thinks that

Each Battalion is no more than 400yds from each other, it just seems they are far away. The only difference was 2nd called themselves Pvts. I was 1st my Bro was 3rd.

wannabe0311
02-06-08, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the replies i dont know if its true but someone told me a di made a recruit jump out the window from 3 stories high onto a car and he broke his legs it sounds kinda fake.

maverickmarine
02-06-08, 02:41 PM
1st Batt. all the way baby! And while we're at it let me add...San Diego to the end of that. Get Some!

Wyoming
02-06-08, 02:48 PM

Thanks for the replies i dont know if its true but someone told me a di made a recruit jump out the window from 3 stories high onto a car and he broke his legs it sounds kinda fake.

Gawd, iffen I had a nickle for the story every friend or someone told.

Besides, wannabe0311, who da hell is di?

wannabe0311
02-06-08, 03:10 PM
di stands for drill instructor sorry

Wyoming
02-06-08, 03:13 PM
di stands for drill instructor sorry

Does it really!!!!

INCOMING!!!

temarti
02-06-08, 03:21 PM
just walk them into the shots

wannabe0311
02-06-08, 03:28 PM
sorry i thought you asked what di was?

:)

Wyoming
02-06-08, 03:37 PM
sorry i thought you asked what di was?

:)

I must be aging here, but I'll save you some grief -

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28989 (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28989)

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29048 (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29048)

I actually just remembered, there is one in there about curfews and posting during school hours!

wannabe0311
02-06-08, 03:42 PM
Sorry for the mistakes ive made and for not spelling out Drill Instructor.

wannabe0311
02-06-08, 03:43 PM
HA i just read about the curfews im sorry i have a horrible sickness.

Wyoming
02-06-08, 03:48 PM
HA i just read about the curfews im sorry i have a horrible sickness.

I see you missed the part about the punctuation.

Last reply from me to one of your posts.

RandallH1989
02-06-08, 04:52 PM
I wouldn't be too worried about stories of drill instructors beating kids up or strangling them or anything like that. They're not going to hit you, but they'll tell you all sorts of stories of the crazy stuff they used to do to recruits. Some say it's BS, and they just say it for the purpose of messing with the recruits. "It was harder when I did it" is really common.

wannabe0311
02-06-08, 08:13 PM
Thanks yea I hear alot of stories i just dont know if their true i doubt the one jumping out the window was true.

sparkie
02-06-08, 08:18 PM
Jumping out the window? I know it happened in '69. From thev 3rd floor, 3rd Bat. We had the only 3 story barracks. No, he didn't land well. It wasn't the window,,, it was the outside stairwell. The DI had nothing to do with it. Just his way out.

DUFFER
02-06-08, 08:27 PM
No there's no difference between the batallions. It depends on what the DIs want to emphasize. Everyone's gonna say that their batallion was best at something or another. Of course, we all know that 4th BTN is the best at everything. We're the secret weapon!:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Giving a HIGH FIVE to 4th BN...
When I went to PI, we al thought that 1st Bn was the brains, 2nd Bn was the drilling Bn and 3rd Bn we called the ROCKS. Some of them were not all that smart but damn did they ever have hard bodies!

I also have seen male recruits have to throw their matresses out of the 3rd sotry window out at the rifle range, run down the stairwell as fast as possible to retrieve them. the loser got "dug" in the sand pit. Un-blouse the boots, untie the boots, take off your belt and go to sand town.(yeah.. been there)
damn DI Sgt Stow

Wyoming
02-06-08, 08:31 PM
My recruiter promised me the 4th Battalion, and sent me to SD. Sumbish!!

Oh yeah, the 1st WM's I saw, had some damm hard bodies also.

PatriotGirl422
02-07-08, 06:57 PM

Of course we have hard bodies. We're the secret weapon.

DarrinC
02-11-08, 11:35 AM
I was 3rd Battalion India Co. Some people say there is no difference between (mainly people from 1st or 2nd Battalion), but you will see a difference between all of them. 3rd Battalion chow hall got closed down for some reason when I was there and we would have to step it out to 1st or 2nd Battalion chow hall. And you could see the difference between those recruits and us. We even had a pick up from 2nd battalion and he was so different and kinda disgusting. But there is disgusting people in the 3rd herd also. It really only depends on the Drill Instructors and the recruit.

But a more direct answer to your question I always heard:

1st Battalion makes Men
2nd Battalion makes Marines
3rd Battalion makes Machines

DWG
02-11-08, 01:39 PM

SD is the 4th Bn. for men!

DWG
02-11-08, 01:45 PM

A little known secret is that they ALWAYS kill at least one recruit, just to get the attention of the rest! Shhhhhh!

If you want to be that volunteer, call your Sr. Drill Instructor, D.I.! Sometimes they slip up and wipe out a complete squad!:scared: That usually draws attention from the officers though, so they try to avoid more than one or two recruit losses per platoon. But keep this to yourself!:evilgrin:

SlingerDun
02-11-08, 02:48 PM
These battalion complexities blew right passed me, all i noticed were the T-shirt colors. So recruit battalion placement is decided on ASVAB scores???

Had two of four DI's who went to Parris Island and they did rip on the recruits from California but i don't recall them or any DI making battalion or Depot comparisons except one moment of weakness a junior from PI told us our itinerary was more active than his was.

The shiat talking began with new neckbone Marines at ITS (sound familiar?) and was without fail initiated from the PI guys. Us from the NW cow and timber country and Alaskans didn't understand this at all and in fact, it got so heated at sea school i was forced as a young Cowboy from the Great Northwest to take a couple New York boys and a Dixie to the mat heheheheh:marine:

--->Dave

wannabe0311
02-11-08, 03:09 PM
Thanks for this i understand now:nerd:

PatriotGirl422
02-11-08, 07:57 PM
We even had a pick up from 2nd battalion and he was so different and kinda disgusting.

Of course he was disgusting, he was a pickup! You think he got dropped for being an outstanding recruit? All the pickups we had from Papa Co. were nasty too. I'm sure all of Papa Co wasn't nasty though, just the ones who got dropped for being lazy and nasty.