PDA

View Full Version : A New Year's message from the frontlines

thedrifter
01-25-08, 09:20 AM
A New Year's message from the frontlines

By: LT. MATTHEW MCCUE - commentary
[Editor's Note: Below is a New Year's greeting that Marine Lt. Matthew McCue, currently stationed in Iraq, e-mailed to his family and friends. Prior to joining the Marines, McCue attended Torrey Pines High school. His mother, who forwarded the e-mail to us, currently lives in Carlsbad. Lt. McCue has given us his permission to print it.]

To my friends and family:

Happy New Year to all. Hopefully this message finds you all in the best of health and in good spirits.

I want to take this opportunity to thank all of you, friends and family alike, for making America worth sacrificing so much for. You are the people that make my job worthwhile.

When I roam around at night with icicles dripping from my nose and the only thing I can see is the discoloration of the night sky as I exhale, I find strength in all of you.

Many of you have served before me, in much more difficult situations in both similar and dissimilar environments. Believe me when I tell you that we are watering the seeds of the legacy that you have planted for us.

I appeal to all of you to enjoy each and every day of this following year. Life is a wonderful gift, and it cannot be wasted by negativity, disillusionment and stagnation.

Get out and enjoy your lives this year; reconnect with distant family and friends; keep your New Year's resolutions; and, most importantly, have fun.

When you look yourself in the mirror every morning, I implore you to make it your personal mission to live that day to its fullest. I am here in order to enable you to enjoy your peaceful lives. Please take advantage of the opportunity that so many Americans have given us and have a wonderful New Year.

I can't wait to see you all again.

Your friend, son, brother, grandson, nephew, uncle, or whatever the case may be

Matt

P.S. I apologize if that was a little too preachy, but I would like the sacrifices of my fellow warriors to have a direct and immediate impact on the people I love.

Ellie