PDA

View Full Version : Which way would you go?

Sway
01-23-08, 07:58 PM
Marines,

While this isnt about restarting checkpoints, or buying weapons like Counter strike I did have a question I have been thinkng a lot about that I was wondering if a few of you could answer for me.

I am a college student who just enlisted in the Marine Reserve set to go Infantry 0331 (mom just loved that dinner table conversation) and I ship on May 19th 2008.

When I arrive at Parris Island I want to be in best possible place psychologically and psychically as is possible; and I realize that it is going to be a hell of an experience any way that I arrive. At 5'8 188 I am heavier than I would liek to be but wouldnt consider myself a complete fat body because I lift and run regularly, (weirdly I was in the top condition of my MEP's poolees) but I want to be better for the Island.

So while I am long winded as usual, my question is, should I concentrate more on building muscle or losing weight? I realize the food / exersise / lifting is essential in any diet; but if you see where I am getting at should I come more bulky or skinner (while obviosuly ready to run/pushups/pullups).

I am asking this in the marine forum because you guys have been there, which worked better for you?

Thanks for your time gentlemen, and If somehow this doesnt meet the requirements for this particular forum, I do apologize sincerely.

Cheers

Tim Robbins
Hobart College 2011
CEPR, President
Hobart Student Government
Hobart Debate Team

gonepostal
01-23-08, 08:13 PM
run,run,run,run,run,and run!!!!! :(

Sway
01-23-08, 08:16 PM
Thats what I have bee told, but I guess with that issue as well sir, where do you gauge that? While you can always get better, what is the zone you would want to be in? I did 6 miles a day while I wasnt in school and since I am back in session I am at around 3-4. Is this something sustainable or should I push the intensity up. Mind you I am extremely intense to begin with. haha.

BR34
01-23-08, 08:20 PM
I shipped to PI about 176, 6 feet tall, very little fat. I left PI at 155, NO fat! On 10 days boot camp leave I gained 18 lbs. I'm now at 187, again, little fat.

You won't gain much muscle in bootcamp, because frankly, you won't be eating much protein. You will most likely loose weight, unless you eat like 4 pb&j sandwiches per meal or something stupid like that.

I'd say don't even worry about your weight, as long as you meet the requirements. Just make sure you're in great shape, regardless of what you weigh.

Yes, RUN!

jrhd97
01-23-08, 08:30 PM
RUN< RUN< RUN and Run some more. Do plenty of push ups. These help with pull ups, and don't forget crunches and leg raises. Doing plank exercises will build your core up makeing the others easier and improve your bearing.

gonepostal
01-23-08, 08:30 PM
sounds like enough. maybe hills or stairs for endurance.

Big Jim
01-23-08, 09:15 PM
Work on your endurance and stamina...I know running can get to be a bore if you're at a very intense level. But there are things you can do to change it up a bit...like swimming and bicycling. Its about endurance and being able to handle your own body weight the best you can and the better you can breathe, the esier it will be for you. Of course, con't stop running our working out with your legs like squats and extensions and curls but overall cardio-excellence!!

A life time ago, I went to boot weighing 194 pounds lifting weights and strong and after it was all over I weighed 190 pounds and could outrun a deer!!! I attribute my strength to weight training and endurance to running, swimming and cycling. So, stay at it and good luck!!! You'll do well!!!

Phantom Blooper
01-23-08, 09:36 PM
Running and Cardio = Endurance

Push back your azz from the table combined with the above = Weight Loss

:evilgrin:

LeonardLawrence
01-23-08, 09:37 PM
Sounds to me like you will have a good base point to work from running 3-4 a day. I would keep that up and increase it.

If your pullups and crunches look good I would think you are probably going down there in better shape than some poolees (such as your own MEPS showed).

I would compare your IST score to those in the poolee forum to see where you stand there.

Good Luck!

chili77bowl
01-23-08, 10:11 PM
Have you thought about giving Tae Bo a try? Seemed to work for my wife who lost 112 lbs in about a year on that...

zackmerc
01-23-08, 11:03 PM
If you want to be a Machine Gunner, it helps to be fit and big. You need all the strength you can get so that you can lift and hike with a 50 caliber machine gun. You will have an 80 pound pack in addition to that. Make sure you build a strong back. Since you are a college student, I assume you will be keeping up with your studies because you will be taking a lot of written tests.

Sway
01-24-08, 12:19 AM
Gentlemen,

Thank you for all of these tips, while I know it is common knowledge I appreciate you applying it in the terms that I see will coincide with the situations I will presented on the Island. It's greatly appreciated.