PDA

View Full Version : After Anbar?

MM86
01-15-08, 01:36 PM
The MARINES say that they should be ready by the time march/april comes around to hand over the Al Anbar province to the Iraqi government. If this does happen and considering the MARINES will have to overlook the progress of the Iraqi security forces for a time, and that General James Conway is pushing to put more MARINE units to the fight in Afgahnistan, does anyone have an opinion on what the MARINES role in Iraq will be after the handing of this province to the Iraqi govt? Is it possible the MARINES could be more spread out and put in less-stable areas where more fighting continues in Iraq?

BR34
01-15-08, 08:59 PM
I believe it may be against the poolee rules to discuss things such as this.

I personally tend to keep my personal opinions personal.

kbs95125
01-16-08, 01:34 AM
It is against the Poolee rules to discuss politics...

but I'm going to answer your question anyways.

The Marines and the Marine Corps will do what has always done and does best. Kill bodies and make chit happen.

Echo_Four_Bravo
01-16-08, 09:38 PM
The role of the Marine Corps will be to go where they are told to go and do what they're told do to, just as it has been for 232 years. We don't worry about what is going to happen or what could happen, we just worry about what is happening.

yellowwing
01-17-08, 04:29 AM
Whatever the mission is or what it will be, our Marines will be ready for it. We have that heart and soul to get it done no matter how harsh it is. We have weeded out anyone that has any surrender and quit in them.

We've siezed whole islands from our enemies, we've fought 8 to 1 in a frozen hell, we have restored order in the most chaotic violence in Al Anbar.

All because each and every Marine truly believes in Never Quit.

WalkingMan
01-17-08, 06:01 AM
The MARINES say that they should be ready by the time march/april comes around to hand over the Al Anbar province to the Iraqi government. If this does happen and considering the MARINES will have to overlook the progress of the Iraqi security forces for a time, and that General James Conway is pushing to put more MARINE units to the fight in Afgahnistan, does anyone have an opinion on what the MARINES role in Iraq will be after the handing of this province to the Iraqi govt? Is it possible the MARINES could be more spread out and put in less-stable areas where more fighting continues in Iraq?

As Marines, we serve at the pleasure of the Commander in Chief.

As private citizens, we are entitled to *hold* personal opinions about political issues, but when we *hold forth* (state publicly) on those personal opinions, it is pretty much guaranteed that what a Marine says will be twisted and bent in the worst possible manner, and re-presented as what *the Marine Corps* said, by individuals with malicious agenda.

LeonardLawrence
01-17-08, 11:45 PM
I don't see this as an issue at all. It is not political as much as tactical/historical question versus a political one. I don't see the politics, just the warfighting/stabilization skills in this.

So to answer:

I think the commanders in that region have made it clear the goal is to assist the Iraqis in standing up for themselves.

After that is said and done, we move on. I think the scenario mentioned of moving on to areas where we are needed in Iraq or Afghanistan, in order to help set up the infrastructure in that country, is well within the stated goals and the realm of possibility.

The Marines have always served as a forward deployed "Quick Reaction Force" group with an intensity of movement and little dragon tail to slow us down. I think the current situation overseas in both these countries is a deviation from the previous uses of the Corps, and while it helps them grow, it is still a new situation. Using this quick deployment, mobilization theory to our advantage...wherever that may be...only makes sense to me.

I personally think it is a thoughtful question, poolee.

Big Jim
01-17-08, 11:49 PM
Whatever the mission is or what it will be, our Marines will be ready for it. We have that heart and soul to get it done no matter how harsh it is. We have weeded out anyone that has any surrender and quit in them.

We've siezed whole islands from our enemies, we've fought 8 to 1 in a frozen hell, we have restored order in the most chaotic violence in Al Anbar.

All because each and every Marine truly believes in Never Quit.

Well stated brother....we live in the now most of the time. FOCUS....FOCUS!