PDA

View Full Version : Irvine shows adopted Marines a good time

thedrifter
01-14-08, 08:03 AM
Sunday, January 13, 2008
Irvine shows adopted Marines a good time
The city's adopted "2/11" battalion was treated to a day at Boomers.
By NIYAZ PIRANI
THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

Lance Cpl. Isaac Martin's head is arched way back and he's looking straight up into the bright blue sky. The sun is at high noon, but the cool January air has sucked much of the heat out of the day.

His arms and legs are outstretched in strange ways, like some sort of bent X. He reaches to stabilize himself and advances upward.

About 15 feet below, a small group has gathered: "Don't let go!"

The group starts to laugh as Martinez pushes himself away from Boomers' climbing wall only halfway to the top.

"I think my friends stuck me on the harder (course)," he says. "They couldn't do it. I got farther than them."

The 19-year-old from Espanola, N.M. is one of about 450 Marines and their families who came out for a free day of fun at Boomers in support of Irvine's adopted "2/11" battalion.

The city adopted the 2nd Battalion, 11th Marine Regiment stationed at Camp Pendleton last April and made it official in a September ceremony at City Hall.

Irvine Mayor Pro Tem Sukhee Kang said the city's adoption is important because it establishes a bond between residents and those defending the country. Kang said the city has thrown the battalion a barbecue in the past, but the Boomer's event was the city's way to thank the Marines before 280 of the 900 deploy to Iraq in the beginning of February.

Others will be deployed elsewhere to assist Marines in different parts of the world, 2/11 Commanding Officer Bradley Hall said. The artillery unit will conduct civil affairs and operations in Iraq through work with local government toward the reconstruction of Al-Anbar, he said.

Tim Sloat of Laguna Beach is a key member of the adoption committee that matched 2/11 with the city. He started this work four years ago and has since helped Newport Beach, Rancho Santa Margarita and other cities adopt battalions.

He said these types of send-offs not only instill a sense of confidence in the Marines, but the relationship can be reciprocal by having the Marines provide color guards for community events.

Mya Sanders, the staff liaison to the committee, said the event cost $12,000, which was paid for through community donations and fundraising.

Aside from the go-karts, miniature golf, laser tag and batting cages the Marines had fun with, about 60 items were raffled off for the Marines' families, including Barbie dolls and a First Strike Command Team play set with camouflage truck and helicopter.

Anamarie Donegan, 22, who lives at Camp Pendleton, said these types of events bring everybody's families together, which adds to the support system needed while husbands go away.

"We get to spend time with our family," Marine Michael Donegan, 21, said. "Not only that, we get to spend time with our Marine family, too. It's awesome."

Contact the writer: 714-445-6689 or npirani@ocregister.com

Ellie