PDA

View Full Version : Weather.

aust10n
01-07-08, 11:17 PM
I'll be going to PI, most likely June 16th or July 16th. How hot should I expect it?
I know the SC can average a 85-100% humidity which makes a 75 day feel like its in the 100s. For Marines that have gane through Recruit Training in the Summer how much harder did the hot weather make it?

davblay
01-08-08, 01:43 AM
Weather....lets see I was there in summer 1969......only thing I noticed was the training and work we were doing!

Good luck Poolee, you'll make it if I did.

Echo_Four_Bravo
01-08-08, 09:41 AM
It is what it is. It will be hot. If you went in the winter it would be cold. Honestly, it doesn't matter. The people in Iraq will be doing much more in much hotter weather. It is just something you have to deal with. If it gets too hot they will take steps to ensure there aren't any heat related problems.

ElDiablo
01-08-08, 09:57 AM
How cold does it get in the winter?

davblay
01-08-08, 10:02 AM
How cold does it get in the winter?

Winter time on the Island the temp ranges from 50 at night to 75 in the day, with the occasional 80 or so. The breeze from the ocean causes the wind to be rather cold at times but not like it is in ...oh say....michigan or some place like that!

GySgtRet
01-08-08, 10:02 AM
from October to December. I didn't think it was cold at all, but as others have said we were too busy just keeping the DI from thumping us. LOL As far as the summer it is hot, very hot. I suggest when the Drill Instructors tell you to hydrate you do it as often as you can. Prepare both physically and mentally, there are a lot of mind games. You can never do anything correctly or fast enough, little things like that.

Good luck

Patriot34
01-08-08, 10:10 AM
Winter time on the Island the temp ranges from 50 at night to 75 in the day, with the occasional 80 or so. The breeze from the ocean causes the wind to be rather cold at times but not like it is in ...oh say....michigan or some place like that!

I live in Notheren Wisconsin (packer country) The tempature can reach 20 bellow at night and sometimes a high of 10 in the middle of the day with a 7 mph wind.

chili77bowl
01-08-08, 11:40 AM
Does it matter? Are you trying to plan this like a vacation?

I hope you get stationed in 29 Palms Ca...there you get the best of both worlds...Hot as HELL in the summer and so cold in the winter your bollacks will freeze off...

maverickmarine
01-08-08, 11:50 AM
No ****! I will never forget the first time we hit the field at the Stumps and got to truly experience, for the first time, just how cold the high desert can get at night. It freakin' blew me away...then of course the next day it was over a hundred freakin' degrees.

ElDiablo
01-08-08, 12:01 PM
I live in Maine. Its pretty much self-explanitory. 50 at night, that's t-shirt weather. Thanks for answering.

Echo_Four_Bravo
01-08-08, 12:55 PM
The first time I got to 29 Palms was for MOS school in late July. We got on a bus at Pendleton with the temperature around 75. Got off the bus and it was well over 100. I thought I was going to die. By December we were all freezing, especially during the night hours. It wasn't all that "cold" when compared to the places some were from, but after being there all summer it was pretty brutal.

After spending every summer of my Marine Corps career in the desert (including the summer after I got out when I was in the reserves and went to CAX) I kind of got used to that part. I was in Palm Springs during part of this summer, it wasn't nearly as bad as the heat in Oklahoma, even though the temp. was higher. It is all just a matter of adjusting, and you'll adjust just like everyone else does.

aust10n
01-08-08, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.

sawatzke82
01-08-08, 05:36 PM
I live in southern Georgia (Parris Island is 1hr 30mins away) its not so much the the heat that will bother you its the humitity, at times it feels like you are inhaling cotton or something. But I had a friend who went through last July-September and he told me when it gets real bad they have black flag days and you dont do too much outside.

aust10n
01-08-08, 06:15 PM
I live in southern Georgia (Parris Island is 1hr 30mins away) its not so much the the heat that will bother you its the humitity, at times it feels like you are inhaling cotton or something. But I had a friend who went through last July-September and he told me when it gets real bad they have black flag days and you dont do too much outside.

That is what I was mainly worried about, the humidity. I can handle the heat but humidity destroys you.

Patriot34
01-09-08, 07:28 PM

Very true. We went down to Flordia (not near North Carolina I know) but the humidity just sucks the energy right out of you. I can guarentee it's not gonna be anywhere close to easy (from reports i have read) but if you make it, it'll all be worth it.

Phantom Blooper
01-09-08, 07:43 PM
I can handle the heat but humidity destroys you.

Yeah,like it makes your hair all frizzy and you can't do a thing with it! Aw.... don't worry you won't have no hair!:yes: <!-- / message -->

Zulu 36
01-09-08, 07:54 PM
I visted PI in the summer time (I went to boot camp at SD in the summertime). I live in Florida now. It was hot and muggy at PI, but not as hot and muggy as Vietnam was.

Wow, did that Vietnam weather ruin my hair-do. :marine:

So, it can be worse. Hydrate and suck it up. Welcome to the Marine Corps.

aust10n
01-09-08, 08:04 PM
I can guarentee it's not gonna be anywhere close to easy (from reports i have read) but if you make it, it'll all be worth it.
I agree.

Yeah,like it makes your hair all frizzy and you can't do a thing with it! Aw.... don't worry you won't have no hair!:yes:<!-- / message -->
Damn. Will I be able to get that shampoo for frizzy hair?

Thanks zulu. I'll just have to keep reminding myself there is always someplace worst than PI.

sawatzke82
01-09-08, 08:23 PM
Its really not too bad (the weather that is, I have no experience at PI of course) dont get me wrong it sucks but its defanetly managable. Im leaving in may so Im expecting plenty of sweat and maybe even a sunburn or two. But you get used to it.

RYDERKUR
01-09-08, 08:34 PM
I went through mid-April to mid-July and yes it is very hot. But what are you going to do about it. If you can't train in it, just how do you plan on fighting anywhere in the Middle East? If you're going to try to plan when you go to Parris Island, tell me when it's cool, I'll call my Commander-In-Chief and politely tell him that its too hot at the moment to go to Iraq.

kelley26
01-09-08, 10:57 PM
I'm leaving June 23rd... anyways drink alot of water or you shall recieve the famous "Silver Bullet". I'm pretty pale skinned cause I'm like 70% Irish...so I'm expecting a little sunburn too...but ya know thats the crap that makes you a man....*Sigh*:cry: not a man (Marine) yet!

LeonardLawrence
01-09-08, 11:47 PM
The weather is hot and humid.

Don't pay it any attention...you don't have the time.

You will be hydrating by request of your DIs. Make sure you drink water on your own as well. There is no excuse for a heat injury and suffering one makes you more suseptible in the future.

I rememeber being issued SunTan Lotion with our initial issue. The DIs made us wear it before PT. You should do what they want ;)

kelley26
01-10-08, 09:03 PM
LOL...hahaha..... so your sayin my white ass is going to get issued suntan lotion...I'm going to be burnt to a crisp!

Patriot34
01-14-08, 08:27 PM
Hell Yea Kelley! Same Here And Proud Of It! I'll probabally be made fun of and called the human tomato or something, cause no DI's gonna pass that chance up. Going with phantom blooper, you're head releases 80% of your body heat so that haircut is a blessing. (maybe not when you get it but hey lets stay positive)

Patriot34
01-14-08, 08:31 PM
Being bald is NOT bad.

sparkie
01-14-08, 08:39 PM
Summer, P,I, I got one thing.... Chrome Domes, " Nuthin Hard Is Easy"

kelley26
01-14-08, 10:54 PM
LOL patriot, glad to hear your white too :) ! we can both get burnt together!

Oh yea dad tells me stories all the time bout the Chrome Domes!