PDA

View Full Version : Hard not to stand out

305Marine
01-03-08, 01:31 PM
I have a question for the Drill Instructors of the board,

I have a pretty obscure last name that is always mispronounced, and I will be arriving at bootcamp with an inguinal hernia that will be operated upon my arrival. (MEDREP, I think it's called)

Am I in for it? will my last name alone bring the wrath of the Drill Instructor on me?

Will the Drill Instructor give me a particularly hard time because of the.. umm... nature of my MEDREP (If you don't know, it means I have a hernia in one of my balls)

Also, I've seen the posts and guides on what to do to survive bootcamp, etc..

But is there any additional advice that could be offered for the Drill Instructors "favorites"?

Thanks in advance,

sparkie
01-03-08, 05:50 PM
Be Better Than the rest, Earn some respect,,,, Till then,,,,suffer.

Marine84
01-03-08, 06:11 PM
I got a stupid question........................they're going to send you to the Island BEFORE your hernia gets fixed???

rvillac2
01-03-08, 11:29 PM
I got a stupid question........................they're going to send you to the Island BEFORE your hernia gets fixed???

I agree it doesn't sound right. Why would we bring you in just to put you in Medical? You sure they don't want you to repair it on your own before shipping?

hawks
01-04-08, 12:50 AM
first of all, I went through boot camp basically under the radar with the name Farrey (fairy) - i think you'll be fine

SECOND OF ALL - DO NOT SHIP OUT UNTIL YOU ARE COMPLETLY HEALTHY!!!!!!!!!! YOU WILL GET PUT IN MRP AND THINK ABOUT KILLING YOURSELF CONSTANTLY BECAUSE ALL YOU DO IS SIT AROUND. HAVE FUN AT HOME AND GET HEALED THEN GO - YOU DONT WANT TO BE IN MRP.

LeonardLawrence
01-04-08, 01:08 AM
Not sure what the situation is with your balls so I will stay FAR away from that one. Just take an objective look at that situation. I think the motivation thing is a vaild concern. I will assume since it is your balls, you will make the right choice for you;)

As for the name I wouldn't worry too much. Everyone got nicknames or what have you. "Alphabet" seemed to be popular for anyone with a difficult name.

Mine was the same last name as my Heavy (what is called Kill hat now) Drill Instructor.

He is black, I am white. I made it until about week 10 and it was brought up.....I got to sing "We are family" on the Quarterdeck....and heard some interesting remarks regarding our heritage and how a North and South "Lawrence" connection came to pass that sounded like a Underground Railroad tale of woe....

You may be concerned about it now, but it will be some of your best memories later...

Big Jim
01-04-08, 03:06 AM
There's no getting around being made fun of by the DI's, especially anybody with a name, not just your name! They'll butcher it up probably for the whole time of bootcamp. Just go with it and earn your respect, then they'll start pronouncing your name correctly...until then they figure your just another pogue trying to get into our beloved Corps and hopes he doesn't get his feelings hurt by someone mispronouncing his name!!!
EARN THAT FRIKKIN RESPECT!

Zulu 36
01-04-08, 07:01 AM
I've seen "worse" names. It doesn't matter is your name was Jones or Smith, if they want to play name games, they'll play.

305Marine
01-04-08, 08:31 AM
Sadly, I can't get the Hernia operated on my own, no insurance. I'm still unsure as to whether they operate it at Paris Island or somewhere else, but I was basically told that after I arrived, I would go to medical, get operated, then, "recover" for about 3-5 days, and then I would start with the next group. (I'm also praying to god that I recover in that time period, because..... if no, it would suck)

Anyways, thanks for the advice.

hawks
01-04-08, 09:39 AM
NO NO NO
You wont get operated on and then be back within 3-5 days. You will do what my friend did who went to boot camp with a hernia. He got there, got put in MRP for 3 months. Went through boot camp. When I got to SOI like 45 days he was still in rehab awaiting surgery. If that sounds good to you, by all means go right ahead.

mgkusmc
01-04-08, 09:41 AM
Sadly, I can't get the Hernia operated on my own, no insurance. I'm still unsure as to whether they operate it at Paris Island or somewhere else, but I was basically told that after I arrived, I would go to medical, get operated, then, "recover" for about 3-5 days, and then I would start with the next group. (I'm also praying to god that I recover in that time period, because..... if no, it would suck)

Anyways, thanks for the advice.

If you go the PI route you will instantly be put in MRP or EHP, they will then send you to Beaufort Naval Hospital for Pre-operation stuff (usually takes about a week week and a half) then you wait for surgery, they give you the surgery at Beaufort Naval Hospital you stay at the hospital for another Week to Two Weeks then return to either MRP or EHP where you will prollye be on light duty for another week to two weeks before put on full duty to run your exits out of STC and finally start training.

3-5 days would be a miracle, everyone I know that during boot had a hernia operated on spent at least a week after the surgery in the hospital some even two weeks.

So its prolly going to be a good month to month and a half before you go to training just so you know.

Stay motivated, stay dedicated.

PatriotGirl422
01-04-08, 10:14 AM
It's almost better to have a weird last name because it kind of lightens the mood. I had four DI's and only 2 of them ever said my name right. My last name is Marsiglia (Mar-sig-lee-yah). It's pronounced just like it looks, but for some reason people don't know how to say it. My Senior called me Marsigalie, and my other DI called me Margalise, Margolia, and then eventually I earned the endearing title of No Volume. (Even though I was always loud, she happened to look at me once when I didn't sound off, and so she called me No Volume continually until graduation. I loved it.

Whitey
01-04-08, 11:49 AM
we had some funny ones in my platoon. nichols became nipples. toth became sloth. vanderstein became vaginastain. baltrusitis..........well.......he got it good, another platoons SDI said his name sounded like a testicular disease and he earned the name ballsack

305Marine
01-04-08, 11:59 AM
a month / month 1/2 doesn't sound all that bad as long as I can do something while I wait. (Like do some PT, get an idea of how to carry myself, and study what I'll need to know when I finally start training. I guess all I can do is hope that it'll give me some kind of edge.

hawks
01-04-08, 03:53 PM
no you wont be doing any PT'ing - youll just be sitting there, hating life. As for studying for boot camp, you learn everything there within 2 weeks anyways - and if you happen to not about ace the prac test, you're just retarded - i was one of only 3 in my platoon that aced it and it was by far the most dumbed down test ever

tntmondy
01-04-08, 04:08 PM
The mere fact that you are a nasty recruit breathing the same air as a Drill Instructor will bring their wrath!!

mgkusmc
01-05-08, 08:05 AM
The mere fact that you are a nasty recruit breathing the same air as a Drill Instructor will bring their wrath!!

yea pretty much:evilgrin: