PDA

View Full Version : Recruits and Housing Allowance

TrailMix
12-27-07, 07:09 PM
Before anyone burns me, no I did not joining for the money. And I know... relationships while in the service is really tough and most don't last... but my question is
Are married recruits entitled to House Allowance, dependent pay, or any other benefits while in boot camp, MCT, and schooling?

ZSKI
12-27-07, 07:30 PM
yes you do get a pay boost Is your wife shown as a dependent in your papers?

sparkie
12-27-07, 07:40 PM
A wife gets nothing, unless she's signed in and you did all your paperwork.

BR34
12-28-07, 08:25 AM
If you're married, and you have filled the appropriate forms via your recruiter you will get basic allowance for housing. I don't think you will get BAS. You will also get family separation allowance. You'll leave boot camp with about 3 times more money saved than the single recruits.

killerinstinct
12-28-07, 08:51 AM
you can either do this 2 ways...

either you are able to do it prior to goign off to bootcamp or you can wait till your first duty station. They will audit your SRB perform your travel claims see if everything was accurate etc and you will get back paid. Which would be easier for you guys to purchase house hold stuff. I'd just wait and get back pay so you will get a lump sum of everything.

TrailMix
12-28-07, 08:57 AM
I am only engaged at the moment, the wedding will be in a few months. I'll have to make sure all the paperwork is filed. Is it better to put her down as a dependent? Are there any other benefits other than BAH and separation leave?
Also if there's an official site or something I can read up on this stuff, that'd be great too.

Thanks again

BR34
12-28-07, 09:41 AM
Your only choice would be to make her a dependent, that's what a wife is considered, there's no other title for your spouse. <br />
<br />
The only allowances I can think of at the moment are BAH and FSA (what...

TrailMix
12-28-07, 10:24 AM
I knew this would happen... had I joined for money I would've joined the Army and taken the 20k bonus. I probably get paid more working at my dead end job as a lazy civilian working mon-fri than I will as service member. I am just trying to figure everything out so I can make sure my bills get paid while I am at training.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-28-07, 11:18 AM
No worries, quite frankly, why NOT join for the money? It's the American way. While I've never gotten a bonus, and am jealous of those who DID get them, I don't really have an issue with it. If Uncle Sugar is handing them out, take em.

Moving on, if you really, really, are going to do this, then get married prior to leaving for recruit training. That way, the wife will be eligible for benefits while you are there, and you'll draw FSA, BAH, and such. Your bills will get paid, most importantly.

However, know this, most young marriages fail once you reach the FMF.

DIBLO7
12-28-07, 11:21 AM
If you are married in boot camp and have filled out all the forms you will get BAH for her zip code (go to www.perdiem.hqda.pentagon.mil/perdiem/bah.html (http://www.perdiem.hqda.pentagon.mil/perdiem/bah.html) to find out what you would get), and FSA (family separation allowance) in the ammount of $250.00. You will not get BAS-M (comrats), all you will get is DMR (means you eat at the chow hall).

Just like was said before though, if you dont fill everything out early enough, you'll fill out your travel claim at your first duty station and will get back paid for everything that you are owed.

Hope that helps.

TrailMix
12-28-07, 03:52 PM
That really helps!

That link doesn't seem to be working. But I can probably find that information through google.

Well got that problem solved, can't thank you enough.

about 10 more weeks to go...

TrailMix
12-28-07, 04:00 PM
[quote=TrailMix]
That link doesn't seem to be working. But I can probably find that information through google.
[quote]

sorry just wanted to let others who might find this information useful know the link is correct but on my browser it works only without the www

http://perdiem.hqda.pentagon.mil/perdiem/bah.html