PDA

View Full Version : Leaving in 1 month and 24 days.

Jhreeve
12-26-07, 01:29 AM
First of all I want to thank everyone for all of the information that they have provided in the threads. I have religiously read every thread that has been posted on this site and have soaked in everything that has been said. I appreciate everyones helpfulness and encouragement.
Now down to bussiness... I am a 21 year old guy that had to drop out of school and playing football for the University of Arkansas a year ago, to take up a job and start working to help out my family because of certain financial situations. Seven months ago I was living a crappy life of working nights, eating because I was bored, and sleeping. Until one day I woke up and was like what the hell am i doing!! So then I decided to start trying to accomplish my childhood dream of becoming a United States Marine. Like I was saying, seven months ago I weighed 335 - 340 lbs (football coaches like that) and stood 73 inches. Now I've dropped down to 239 lbs and am in the best shape of my life!! Now the problem is that Im scheduled to ship to MCRD San Diego on 20080220 and still am a sort of a fatbody. Due to playing football all my life and only using certain muscle groups that are worked and required to use as an offensive lineman, I kinda suck at running and pullups. I can do more than the mininum chruches for the IST and I can do pushups all day long, its just that im really worried about my running and pull ups. Ive been jogging/walking 6 miles a day for about a month now, and I can only do one and a half pull ups. So as you can see I have a problem, so any information would be much appreciated! The other question is that during boot camp, am I going to be picked on more because of my size or will it be to somewhat of an advantage? All my recruiters tell me that im going to be fine, but im just a little worried that my boot camp experience is probably going to be a little more difficult for a guy like me. Haha! Anyways, any information that you guy's could provide would be much appreciated!!
By the way, just to let ya'll know, there is nothing that anyone could say or do that could deffer me from earning that title! I have been wanting this and dreaming of this for so long that its almost unbelievable that im only a month and 25 days from starting my dream!! And nothing is going to stop me now that im this close! Thanks again everyone!

LeonardLawrence
12-26-07, 01:35 AM
Congrats on the weight loss. 7 Months only?

Do pushups, pullups and run as much as possible. Sick, tired, dirty, lazy, no excuses.

One month is not a lot of time but the effort you put in NOW will mean the difference for you next month.

You are where you are at....screw history, you can't change it and what happened is past...make it count now!

Follow the advice on pullups found here. I went to bootcamp with a lack of upperbody strength as well, I could run like the wind, but 3 pullups was a chore. It is not a comfortable place to be, trust me.
First time I climbed the rope was when I HAD to to pass combat conditioning with full gear. Since then I have never looked back.

Put in the work and it will pay off.

Jhreeve
12-26-07, 01:51 AM
Thanks alot LeonardLawrence. Your advice is very encouraging! I will definently look up all the advice in pullups in this forum. Again I really do appreciate your feedback.

Geagle05
12-26-07, 02:09 AM
Congrats JH, for making it thus far. Man I feel you on the running, and pull-ups. 1 year ago at a fighting 5'6, 165, I could maybe do 5 pullups, and I ALWAYS hated running. I was a power lifter and that's what I liked to do.

Now I'm unfortunately still 5'6, haha, but a leaner 135. I can't bench the big numbers anymore, but I can do 20+pullups, and run under 20:00 3 mile. While I knew that with work I could pull up the pullups number (no pun intended), I never thought I could run fast for distance.

What really helped me with the run, was taking a running course at school. You don't need to do that, but what it did was it got me running every day. Since you're already jogging/walking daily, I think you need to change your style. 6 miles everday jogging/walking pace is too much distance with not enough intensity. Try starting at one mile as fast as you can. Get your cadio up as high as you can. Once you can run 3 miles without walking, then maybe put a long run in your routine every now and then. Certainly, IMHO, 6 miles at a walking/jogging pace is not helpful.

With pullups, get a routine. Whether it's recon or Armstrong or whatever do something. I call my ARM-CON, b/c I sort of blend the two. Bottom line, I think the key to pullups is just doing them ALL THE TIME. Search "Grease the Groove" article by Russian Fitness Master Pavlek on www.dragondoor.com (http://www.dragondoor.com) He says the key to becoming really good at an exercise is to do that exercise all the time and never to failure. For example...every time I pass a pullup bar or anything to do a pullup on, I bust out 10. For me, that's not to failure, but by the end of the day, I've done as much as 150 pullups! This really helped in boosting my pullup numbers.

Lastly check your diet. If I was 165 now, there's no way I'd be able to do 20 pull ups or run at a fast pace for longer distances. I didn't do anything fancy with my diet--just basically no sodas or juices, and I ate lean -non fried foods. No calorie counting or any of that fancy stuff. Believe it or not after 2 months, I was literally at one point 125--that's a 40 lb change. This happened over the summer, when I worked in the heat all day--TEACHING GOLF. That's right...GOLF. My point is: your diet can make a huge difference. Once I lost the weight, I was able to hit the gym again to be healthy (I was freakishly skinny, my friends called me 3rd world). Losing all that weight made working out a whole lot more fun!

I hope this helps, and I wish you luck.

1-1Heavygunner
12-26-07, 03:11 AM
Try this link for running help: http://www.runnersworld.com/topic/0,7122,s6-238-267-0-0,00.html
I actually love to run and at age 31, I run faster now than when I was in. It is a very mental sport, as well as physical.
Diet is a mindset, too. It's just food, fuel for the body. If you want it bad enough, you'll lose it. As someone else said, drop the sodas and drink water. Eat turkey, protein bars, fresh fruit, and drink more water. Have a free day each week and eat what you want, or you'll go nuts.

Chumley
12-26-07, 08:30 AM
Jhreeve,

All your other questions were answered except your last...will you be picked on because of your size, or will it be an advantage? If you are as good at the Push-Ups as you say you are, that will be to your advantage. Don't not fret, however, because they will find every other possible reason to single you out and train you appropriately. You can't avoid it, so don't worry about it. Keep training your weak areas and cross-train as much as you can...the variety of strengths is the better than one exceptional strength.

C

CHOPPER7199
12-26-07, 08:35 AM
Just A Thought From An Old Timer. You Got 6 Weeks To Get To A Gym And Ask Them To Help Out. But The Being In Shape On Runs Are A Big Thing,but Boot Camp Will Take Care Of The Rest. I Was A Limp Kid When I Went And Put On 35 Lbs In 3 Months, They Will Get You In Shape 1 Way Or Another. Ha Ha Good Luck

Jhreeve
12-26-07, 03:11 PM
Thank you all for your really helpful information. Unfortunately Ive only have 6 weeks to prepare myself for this really big chapter in my life. So heres another question for you guy's. If i dont meet my IST standards will they still let me go to boot anyways and not fully prepared physically? Or will they just generally set my ship date further away? Again thank you all for your help.

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-26-07, 03:35 PM
The rules say you can't go to boot camp if you don't meet the IST criteria. But, there is a Physical Conditioning Platoon there for a reason. IF you don't meet the standards you may well find yourself in PCP, and that is something you don't want to do if at all possible.

Geagle05
12-26-07, 06:34 PM
Thank you all for your really helpful information. Unfortunately Ive only have 6 weeks to prepare myself for this really big chapter in my life. So heres another question for you guy's. If i dont meet my IST standards will they still let me go to boot anyways and not fully prepared physically? Or will they just generally set my ship date further away? Again thank you all for your help.

Jh, I can't speak from a Marine point of view, but I think if you're where you're at now, and you put hard work into it, I think you'll be fine in 6 weeks. Pullups and running (really anything) is a matter of practice and repetition. This seems elementary, but how do you think you got to be able to play football at Arkansas? I'm sure you practiced and worked your @ss off. No different now. You have time. Do any sort of routine, both running and pullup wise and I bet you will surprise yourself come IFT time.

I remember when I was talking to my enlisted recruiter, and I was SO worried about pullups and the run, and that was for the IFT. Needless to say, I ended up going the PLC route, and I did more than fine on my PFT. When it really matters, you will surprise yourself. I know I did. Best wishes and good luck!

Chumley
12-28-07, 08:58 AM

Jhreeve,

Stop worrying about the "what ifs...". Keep your momentum moving in a positive direction and your DI's will take care of the rest. Almost everyone wonders how they will do at boot, but only you will answer your own question when you get there. If you don't give up in life, you can expect success. Now, get off my bus!
:scared:

Jhreeve
12-29-07, 08:25 PM
Thanks everyone for all of your help concerning my problems. I have started training intensley with my recruiters twice a day for the past four days. And will keep training till I ship. So hopefully my pullups and run time will get much better even though I have not seen any results yet (which is kind of a downer) besides not being able to walk right and raise my arms due to the soreness from excercising intensley! Haha! But anyways, I am very motivated and can't wait till bootcamp. I know that no matter what happens, I will not leave San Diego without the EGA! Thanks again everyone.

Big Jim
12-29-07, 08:35 PM
Thanks everyone for all of your help concerning my problems. I have started training intensley with my recruiters twice a day for the past four days. And will keep training till I ship. So hopefully my pullups and run time will get much better even though I have not seen any results yet (which is kind of a downer) besides not being able to walk right and raise my arms due to the soreness from excercising intensley! Haha! But anyways, I am very motivated and can't wait till bootcamp. I know that no matter what happens, I will not leave San Diego without the EGA! Thanks again everyone.

STAY MOTIVATED AND LISTEN AS WELL AS LEARN EVERYTHING THEY TEACH YOU!! YOU WILL GET BETTER...BELIEVE ME! NEVER GIVE UP!!!
YOU CAN DO IT!!!:thumbup: :yes: :yes:

Jhreeve
12-30-07, 11:07 PM
Thanks BiG Jim!! Don't worry about that, I have alot of Motovation! Which is what I think, will and has been keeping this dream going until I EARN the EGA!! Thanks again for your support!