PDA

View Full Version : Gates: “I Have Been Awed And Humbled”

thedrifter
12-25-07, 07:59 AM
Gates: “I Have Been Awed And Humbled”

(December 25, 2007)—In his 2007 Christmas message, Defense Secretary Robert Gates says the “dedicated soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines who protect our nation” are chief among the many blessings American’s enjoy.

“I have been awed and humbled by our men and women in uniform who are carving for themselves a noble place in American history,” Gates said.

“To some generations much is given. Of other generations much is expected. This generation of Americans has a rendezvous with destiny,” he said

“This holiday season, many of those in uniform are on repeat deployments or have had their tours extended. Many will miss midnight mass or have already missed Hanukkah's Festival of Lights.

“Many will not hear the squeals of delight from their children on Christmas morning. Many will sing neither carols nor hymns. Instead, they serve half way around the world to honor a pledge they made to the country they love.

“Please keep our troops in your thoughts and may God forever bless them and this wonderful nation we call home."

Ellie