PDA

View Full Version : Veterans recall holidays on the warfront

thedrifter
12-23-07, 07:00 AM
12/21/2007
Veterans recall holidays on the warfront
By: Mark Young , The North Platte Telegraph

Recorded by Bing Crosby in 1943, "I'll be home for Christmas," became the number one requested song of American soldiers, marines and sailors during World War II. The song became a living wish for GI's who were in harm's way far from home.

Today is no different, as American soldiers face the hardships of war thousands of miles away from their family during the one time of year when family and loved ones are more at the forefront of their minds than any other time. The holidays are a time meant for family, but it's a time when most soldiers just try to cope.

It's a different experience for everyone, as some families relish in seeing one another again while others dread the inevitable arguments that will break out around the dinner table. Sometimes the appreciation of spending time with family can get lost on some, but never for the veterans who have to spend their Christmas in a war zone.

Howard Gebhardt missed three Christmases while serving in the Navy on a landing craft during World War II and 61 years later, he still has a new appreciation for having the opportunity to be with his family during the holidays. Gebhardt was a Radar Man 1st Class during the war, bringing equipment, soldiers and marines onto such deadly beaches as the invasion of Okinawa, the liberation of the Philippines and served from 1943 until 1946.

"Two years, five months, 29 days and three hours, to be exact," laughed Gebardt. "I missed three Christmases. The third was in the South Pacific, but we had 55 men and five officers on our ship and we had become a little family. The only thing out of the ordinary that Christmas was that we got to eat a lot of turkey."

Gebhardt said that in those days, communications between soldiers and their families were obviously nothing like they are today, but that the messages from home around the holidays were more important than ever.

"The Christmas cards, letters and cookies were a big deal for us, but unfortunately none of those things got there until February," he said. "I have a better appreciation of the holidays a lot more now because I know I can spend time with my family. It's what you missed the most, the companionship of your own folks."

Christmas in Korea

Ken George, an Army Staff Sergeant in the Korean War from Dec. 11, 1950 until Dec. 8, 1952, stationed in the forward area in Uijongbu, said it's easier for the single soldiers than it is for the men and women who are serving far away from their families. George served with the 304 Signal Battalion, attached to the Eighth Army, a unit that still serves in Korea today.

"I feel sorry for the vets today with wives and families still in the states," he said. "Being single at the time, I didn't have to worry about anything but myself."
George said that while in Korea, he just tried to make Christmas another day.

"You don't have time for Christmas in a forward area," he said. "There was one Christmas where we had some guys that could play guitar and we had them come over and play some Christmas songs and, of course, the letters from friends and family were appreciated. But when you are somewhere for that long of a time, you start to think you were born there and wonder if you are ever going to get back."
For George, Christmas in Korea was just another day to survive.

"You just try to make it through another day," he said. "You do your job and hope you didn't get hit by something. These guys now have a lot to worry about too because we didn't have these roadside bombs to deal with, but guys in Korea and Vietnam have one thing in common with them and that is you never knew who the enemy was at times. But if they would call me in right now, I would go and I think we all would. I'm proud of what they are doing over there."

No White Christmas in Vietnam

Ed Rawlings, a Third Class Petty Officer served in a Navy air control squadron on a LDH assault helicopter, conducting operations in the Mekong Delta with Tacron 13. Rawlings said he tried to enjoy Christmas in Vietnam as best he could, but like many veterans, just tried to make it another day.

"I did the best I could to just ignore it," he said. "I missed my family, but the men around you become part of your family, especially during the holidays."
Cal Stratton was a seaman during Vietnam from 1969 until 1970, serving with the 543 Northern River Division with the Navy's dangerous river patrol operations. Stratton said his loneliest Christmas away from home was actually while he was in San Diego waiting to ship out, "knowing where I was going," he said.

Communications with family is the biggest difference between past veterans and those serving today, according to Stratton who said it was rare to get a chance to call home and when he did, a 12-minute collect phone call would cost his family about $126.

"But it was important," he said. "You got to say what you wanted to say around that time of year, but for that price, you couldn't linger."

Stratton said that it was his memories of holidays past with his family that he clung to during the holidays he spent at war and that like most veterans he tried to push Christmas out of his mind, but the realities of it were that he couldn't.

Stratton was fortunate during his first Christmas in Vietnam.

"I was in Danang and was fortunate to be there when Bob Hope was putting on his big show," he said. "There wasn't anyone that did more for our soldiers than that man. And when you are in a base with 60 other men who are in the same position as you are, the holidays bring you closer to one another. You try to treat it as just another day, but in reality you can't. It's in the back of your mind and you want to be home and you want to know what everyone else is doing."

Communications for Christmas

All three veterans are thankful that today's soldiers have the opportunity to have the kind of communications they have with cell phones and e-mails. It would sometimes be months before they were afforded the opportunity to communicate directly with their families.

These past veterans wished to express their pride in today's soldiers for the job they are doing and wished for one special Christmas gift to today's soldiers. "Keep the politicians out of the war and let them fight it."
Each veteran said they would answer their country's call today, if it were physically possible and while they cannot do that, Stratton said there is still a way that today's veterans can serve.

"Veterans trust one another," he said. "Whether they are today's veterans or going back to World War II, we all share common bonds regardless of where you were or what you did. Us older veterans can still be a part of their service by being there for them and making sure that they are well taken care of when they get home. Even if it's just sitting down and having a cup of coffee with them, we need to be there for them."

George said that today's soldiers deserve the support of everyone.

"I don't care what political organization you are part of, you have got to be defiant against tyranny and fight for the principles of the United States," he said. "They deserve our support and the support of all the people of the U.S."

Stratton said he thanks God that these young men and women are there today to guard America's gate, but whether its Christmas or not, perhaps Gebhardt said it best for all veterans. "No matter what day it is, I'm always happy and grateful to wake up and see the old Stars and Stripes," he said.

Ellie