PDA

View Full Version : Ist.

PooleeMoules
12-23-07, 01:09 AM
Hello,

I took my IST this week and my scores were...

Pull-ups: 9
Crunches:36
1.5 mi.:12:10

I am 5'10 and weigh about 150lbs... Are these scores pretty average for IST with someone the aproxomite size or do I have quite a bit to work on..Thanks for all the input.

1-1Heavygunner
12-23-07, 02:10 AM
Good on the pullups. Average run. You will be running much faster the day you just might wear our Eagle, Globe, and Anchor.
Crucnches are easy to improve.
Don't spend too much time worrying about your scores. Enjoy being 18 and worry about becoming a Marine when you ship. You have more important things to worry about until then. Spend time with your family, all of them, especially grandparents.

Whitey
12-23-07, 12:08 PM
you're going to wanna bump those crunches up. i think the minimum for the IST is 45 if i remember correctly.

when i got to boot camp i did 8 pullups, 65 crunches and my run time was 14:20. I was scared beyond belief of being dropped to PCP for the run time but my series commander allowed me to stay. I completed boot camp with 5 pullups(nothing to brag about and i still dont know how they dropped), 100 crunches and a 24:03 run time. the stuff comes trust me.

PooleeMoules
12-23-07, 12:10 PM
Yeah my cruches was a joke..I would go all the way up like a sit up and then hit the deck..My recruiter is going to help me because I did it all wrong...Thanks for the help..Its much appreciated

zackmerc
12-23-07, 02:51 PM
you're going to wanna bump those crunches up. i think the minimum for the IST is 45 if i remember correctly.

when i got to boot camp i did 8 pullups, 65 crunches and my run time was 14:20. I was scared beyond belief of being dropped to PCP for the run time but my series commander allowed me to stay. I completed boot camp with 5 pullups(nothing to brag about and i still dont know how they dropped), 100 crunches and a 24:03 run time. the stuff comes trust me.

Don't worry, it happens to mostly everyone. I lost pull-ups at boot camp. My body didn't get stronger performance-wise but it was hardened and I can take more pain and strain. Yes, I lost pull-ups and even crunches but cut serious time off of my run time.

Here at SOI, my PFT performance fluctuates because of the all the humps and moving around we do.

fs19
12-23-07, 03:42 PM
http://leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55346&highlight=scores

PooleeMoules
12-23-07, 04:48 PM
Thanks guys for the help...I appreciate it..

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-23-07, 05:40 PM
Just to be blunt, you're probably above average for the general population but below average for our concerns. But, you have time- it is nothing to worry about. Just keep working and you'll get there.

PooleeMoules
12-24-07, 01:24 AM
Yeah Im not willing to settle for average...Thanks for the encouragement

David La Pierre
04-22-08, 10:17 PM
Moules, what's up?!

Hey, give me a call if you ever want to work on your score. Me and Gliddon go and do extra PT's all the time and I am free pretty much whenever.

BadJustice
04-23-08, 04:27 AM
Dont worry bout those scores man. I can do a lot of crunches but my pullups are a joke. Not sure what my run time is yet though, I have a sprained ankle and I'm not sure how much longer it will be till I'm able to run again.

Reagan
04-23-08, 04:53 AM
I'm kind of in a similar boat. I can bust out 80 crunches in 2 minutes no problem, but I fear what hilarity may ensue once I grab onto a pullup bar. I haven't done pullups in years. Just need to find a bar to grab on to so I can get back into it!

benw2200
04-23-08, 06:15 AM
I went from about 30 crunches to 70 in a few months, and from 70 to 99 in a few more. As long as you've got some time before ship, you can definitely improve. How you perform in an IST also can depend somewhat on how well your partner holds your legs- when I did my 99 my partner was holding my legs really steady, it makes it a lot easier. At the last poolee meeting my recruiter called it a "buddy f**k" when your partner isn't holding your legs right..lol. It's also about form and technique, you'll learn to not waste energy (like you said, doing a full sit-up probably isn't very efficient), and to pace yourself. A lot of people burn through their first 30 in the first 30 seconds, then spend the rest of the time with their back on the deck because they tired themselves out too quickly. When I did them for the last IST, I did about 50 right off the bat, then briefly rested for a few seconds, then did about 15 more. Then rested a second, then did 10 more, etc. I was ****ed when I didn't get that 100th one :mad:

Work on your abs regularly- don't just do a few sets whenever you feel like it, get with a program like this one http://www.lincolnmarineofficer.com/killer_crunches.html
and stick with it!! Good luck man.

Newski45
04-23-08, 09:10 AM
Yeah my cruches was a joke..I would go all the way up like a sit up and then hit the deck..My recruiter is going to help me because I did it all wrong...Thanks for the help..Its much appreciated

The way they do things now with crunches your hands have to be on your shoulders, and when you go up elbows touch your thighs and back down till your shoulder blades touch the ground, then repeat. This is the way they had us do it at the MEPS center.

TypeOrange
04-23-08, 11:39 AM
I am a little worse off than you. Its stressing me a little.

My IST:

Pullups - 5
Situps - 75
1.5 Run - 14:22

I am 6'1 206. WHen i first DEP'ed in I was at 242. I ship 20080804.

Can someone enlighten me on ways i can increase my run? Im stressing a little about it and i dont want to be put into PCP.

Antwan2008
04-23-08, 11:45 AM
See i have problems with the Pull-ups i can only do 3 but iam 6'3" 206 lbs. When i did crunches i could do 85 in 2 minutes. This morning when i ran, i ran 1.5 miles in 13:05. I know thats not very good but i have been lazy and just started running last week. I have been running twice a day to improve that.

jrhd97
04-23-08, 11:48 AM
I am a little worse off than you. Its stressing me a little.

My IST:

Pullups - 5
Situps - 75
1.5 Run - 14:22

I am 6'1 206. WHen i first DEP'ed in I was at 242. I ship 20080804.

Can someone enlighten me on ways i can increase my run? Im stressing a little about it and i dont want to be put into PCP.
When running pick an object in the distance and sprint to it, run / jog some more than pick another object and sprint to it. Continue this over the course of your run. After a couple weeks you will notice time starting to drop.
Congrats with the weight loss.

MotivatorOfTheGuard
04-23-08, 11:56 AM
Offset your training as well. During one session work soley on endurance. ie. long distance very very slow. The next time you run, do speed work. Sprint, jog sprint jog.

Thats the best way to build all of your running skills without trying to overwhelm yourself or your body.

benw2200
04-24-08, 07:21 PM
The way they do things now with crunches your hands have to be on your shoulders, and when you go up elbows touch your thighs and back down till your shoulder blades touch the ground, then repeat. This is the way they had us do it at the MEPS center.

When was this? When I was at MEPS (early Dec 2007) they had us do them arms crossed over the chest, fingers under our arms/armpits. Hands on shoulders seems like it'd be a little harder but nothing too bad.

KevinR90
04-24-08, 08:40 PM
why would you be doing crunches at MEPS?

MotivatorOfTheGuard
04-24-08, 09:34 PM
why would you be doing crunches at MEPS?
I know when i came in, we had to do crunches for the MGySgt down there, so that he was confident nobody "slipped through the cracks". We did pullups and crunches until he was satisfied his recruiters didn't juke him around, and then we left.

Seems like worlds away, but at the same time yesterday.

As much as it might suck at times pups, treasure it. Dull, boring, and painful moments sometimes end up being your best stories.

Carry on.

Reagan
04-24-08, 10:46 PM
Wait, they do the IST at MEPS? I thought they do it when you first get to bootcamp.

KevinR90
04-25-08, 09:29 AM
oooohhhhh- now I remember. lol. I did do an "IST" minus the running. For me though it was after getting done at MEPS, my recruiter took me to the Baltimore USMC HQ where I got my red shirt, my welcome aboard package, met some Marines, and my recruiter got a new work phone. That's when I did pullups (10) and crunches (70 something) so I did it with my recruiter not the Liason.

Donut Brigade
04-25-08, 11:29 AM
Hmm, my recruiter took me to Betos after MEPS...

David La Pierre
04-26-08, 08:55 PM
I went to MEPS in January and had to do the IST, minus the running, as well. That was right around when we got our red poolee shirts (you guys seen the new blue ones?).

Donut Brigade
04-26-08, 09:04 PM
I went to MEPS in January and had to do the IST, minus the running, as well. That was right around when we got our red poolee shirts (you guys seen the new blue ones?).

I don't like the new blue underarmour style shirts. The Eagle, Globe and Anchor and Marines designation on the back came out in a color that could be described as 'orangina pink'.

David La Pierre
04-26-08, 09:17 PM
Hah, I don't like them either. Most people over here at RSS Santa Rosa seem to feel the same.

KevinR90
04-26-08, 10:15 PM
we've had discussions about the different shirts... I like the red one because it stands out nicely, say if you're recruiting or just going around somewhere. However, for working out the blue one wins.

Mindgame
04-27-08, 07:09 AM
Don't worry to much about your IST scores. Just do your best, here is the Marine Corps Standards _ and here is where your standards should be -.. Kind of get the idea? You got to PT and make your heart pop everytime. It only makes you stronger.

My IST at boot was 13:15- 3 pullups- and 80something crunches wich I pulled out of my rearend somehow. I think it was that rubber you do them on.

During boot camp. I had a hard time passing the three mile in time. I did it non stop, but I couldn't make it under the 28minutes. You know what the best thing to do at bootcamp to increase your runtime is? Scuz towels:)..... I had this issue with tightening my body to much, and taking very short stides. My buddy taught me to take longer strides, let your momentam keep pushing you forward, and keep your hands loose. I brought my runtime to 23:25 on the initial PFT, and on the Final PFT down to 22:15. I hit that pullup bar almost everynight. I brought my pullups to 8. (Could be much better) And my crunches to 105.

Just do your best, then keep pushing after that guys. I never realized how possable things where until I went to PI. The DI's sureley have a way of making you realize it.

SGT7477
04-27-08, 08:24 AM
Work some 100 yard sprints into your run.

SGT7477
04-27-08, 08:26 AM
Remember poolees wear your Marine gear to boot camp.

Seyborg
04-27-08, 09:17 AM
Sir, Will do ;)

I wanted to comment on the running. . .

I do just what Motivator said, I offset with sprints and distance.

Mon-Wed-Fri I walk a min and sprint a min for 16 minutes

Tues Thurs Sat I run 6 miles. Nice and slow

My speed has gone up, believe me.

Try it! =)

KevinR90
04-27-08, 01:11 PM
Remember poolees wear your Marine gear to boot camp.

You're joking right?

BR34
04-27-08, 04:44 PM
Sprints def. help out on your run time. I recommend finding a track, sprinting the straights and jogging the curves. Go until you think you are going to die, then just job another couple laps to cool down.

SGT7477
04-27-08, 07:31 PM
You're joking right?
No I'm not.:evilgrin: :flag:

KevinR90
04-27-08, 08:32 PM
I don't think you're should wear Marine shirts and stuff when you go to Boot Camp. Just makes sense...

SGT7477
04-28-08, 08:47 PM
I don't think you're should wear Marine shirts and stuff when you go to Boot Camp. Just makes sense...
Come on now show them you are wearing it with pride, Man Up.:evilgrin:

KevinR90
04-29-08, 09:10 PM
I don't think it matters if I wear it with pride- they'll still probably get on my ass about it. I'll stick to not sticking out when I'm down there.

MotivatorOfTheGuard
04-29-08, 09:46 PM
I don't think it matters if I wear it with pride- they'll still probably get on my ass about it. I'll stick to not sticking out when I'm down there.

Men and the Sgt are going to make sure you stick out either way. I'll be sure to get your address and send you a few choice magazines while you are there. Fan of playgirl?
:evilgrin:
Just messing, trust me, everyone will stick out for some reason. That first week you won't even know what's happening, what time it is, what month it is, or what your name is. Wear your gear with pride.

Mindgame
04-30-08, 07:44 AM
HAHA. It doesn't matter. Wear whatever you want. Your drill intructors won't ever see your cavilian clothes. From experience, I would say, wear some comfortable clothes. Your going to be in them for a couple of days.

Like the Cpl said. You will stick out for some reason. It doesn't matter, everyone will be getting yelled at for some reason, or for no reason at all.

Just wait until your on the ****ter and getting yelled at face to face. Now that I look back on that, I can say that was funny. At the time, yea... It wasn't so funny then.

KevinR90
04-30-08, 05:34 PM
yeah, i'll just wear whatever's comfortable. I forgot there're receiving DI's and then the permanent ones.

MotivatorOfTheGuard
04-30-08, 05:40 PM
I'll have posters of Brad Pitt waiting for ya at the recieving barracks!:evilgrin:

kbs95125
04-30-08, 05:59 PM
You're joking right?

It would be kind of nice to see the Poolees around here responding to NCO's, SNCO's, Officers (if not all Marines period) with an aye sir, yes sir, no sir..... insert my comment here, sir.

Not all buddy buddy.

SGT7477
04-30-08, 06:29 PM
yeah, i'll just wear whatever's comfortable. I forgot there're receiving DI's and then the permanent ones.
EGA gear is the most comfortable.:evilgrin:

MotivatorOfTheGuard
04-30-08, 06:51 PM
That'd be an Aye Aye Sgt, or some sh*t...

KevinR90
04-30-08, 08:11 PM
Sorry Sir, I was assuming the Sergeant was trying to make it so I could become stronger once I got to boot camp. Though if he had felt disrespected I would have expected him to tell me so and I would have corrected myself. Won't happen again.

kbs95125
04-30-08, 09:50 PM
Nobody is jumping on your case Poolee. Just remember Marines here are here to help you prepare physically and mentally. We will always answer questions but we will also gladly correct you to make you a better recruit as well.

MotivatorOfTheGuard
05-01-08, 02:49 AM
Sorry Sir, I was assuming the Sergeant was trying to make it so I could become stronger once I got to boot camp. Though if he had felt disrespected I would have expected him to tell me so and I would have corrected myself. Won't happen again.

Relax pup, it was an attempt to make an old salty Sgt of Marines crack a smile.

SGT7477
05-01-08, 05:53 PM
Did I rain on someones parade?

MotivatorOfTheGuard
05-01-08, 06:08 PM
No i did Sgt.