PDA

View Full Version : 0341 (mortarman)

wantfuture 0341
12-22-07, 10:20 PM
i hear they are doing alot more now days then blowing stuff up, is thisa true?

Smalcom
12-23-07, 03:33 AM
yes

Finger
12-23-07, 09:21 AM
I swore we were just talking on this thread last night. Where did it go? Hmmm

zackmerc
12-23-07, 09:46 AM
Mortars are still being used for indirect fire support in Iraq. However, because many insurgents and terrorists are not facing the Marines in open battle, mortars and artillery have become somewhat useless. That's why many 0341's have taken up the roles of 0311 to actually go in and root the bastards out. Most Arty guys are performing patrols and security duties because they aren't firing their howitzers.

wantfuture 0341
12-23-07, 03:57 PM
ah i see thankyou zack, and Finger i have no idea where my other one whent lol

chili77bowl
12-28-07, 12:33 AM
You don't want to be a Mortarman anyways...it's boring....I should know...I am one...

wantfuture 0341
12-28-07, 01:07 PM
You don't want to be a Mortarman anyways...it's boring....I should know...I am one...

how is it boring? i know theres alot of lifting but explain please

chili77bowl
12-28-07, 03:28 PM
most of the time you don't get any rounds to shoot...so you just sit in the sun and run gun drills while everyone else is doing actual live fire...you hike a LOT of weight...and you really don't get to see the effects of your rounds (when you do get them)

wantfuture 0341
12-28-07, 05:09 PM
most of the time you don't get any rounds to shoot...so you just sit in the sun and run gun drills while everyone else is doing actual live fire...you hike a LOT of weight...and you really don't get to see the effects of your rounds (when you do get them)so what mos would you recomend? i wanna see some action and blow some stuff up, lemme hear you're opinion please

ZSKI
12-28-07, 07:56 PM
so what mos would you recomend? i wanna see some action and blow some stuff up, lemme hear you're opinion please Well if you go 03 the marines will fill there need but if you can assaultmen?

zackmerc
12-28-07, 07:58 PM
Blowing **** up is up to the 0351, the Assaultman. He uses the SMAW, a rocket launcher. He also is responsible for using APOBS (mine-clearing devices), and making bombs out of C-4 charges. He is...

chili77bowl
12-30-07, 11:10 PM
Engineers blow things up. EOD blows things up. Assaultmen are responsible for Anti-Tank weapons and in a pinch have a working knowledge of demo.

zackmerc, I assume that you are training to be a 0351 in SOI(w)... Let me tell you that once in the fleet, you will not get that much work with demo.

ZSKI
12-30-07, 11:27 PM
OOORAH engineers

Devilfrog
12-30-07, 11:57 PM
Well from my experience with the mortarmen in my platoon they do know how to whip up some mean coffee. Always good in the field.

chili77bowl
12-31-07, 09:50 AM
Well from my experience with the mortarmen in my platoon they do know how to whip up some mean coffee. Always good in the field.

Don't forget we can play some Spades.

Crusader20
12-31-07, 10:24 AM
Engineers blow things up. EOD blows things up. Assaultmen are responsible for Anti-Tank weapons and in a pinch have a working knowledge of demo.

zackmerc, I assume that you are training to be a 0351 in SOI(w)... Let me tell you that once in the fleet, you will not get that much work with demo.

I agree. I was a 0351 in a line company. We did some work with c-4 in the fleet and in Isreal but not a great deal. Not a lot of it running around. Most went to the Engineers.

The companies, at the time, didn't really know what to do with the assaultman. we covered roads, entry ways to the objective, things like that.

But i understand, now the Corps and the companies have made use of the SMAW in a good way. It is a great building entery device. When you need a door, it will give you one. :)

I think that the Corps has started to look at the assaultman in a different way. With the Javeline (?), SMAW, and the working knowledge of Demo, The company commanders have more assests and more ways to kill the ememy.

Finger
12-31-07, 11:18 AM
We need flames to come back. Wooof, two frags, enter when cool.

Old School :D

S/F
Finger

zackmerc
12-31-07, 12:59 PM
No, the 0351 don't use the Javelins anymore. That's now up to the 0352's.

wantfuture 0341
12-31-07, 03:38 PM
can someone please explain in a detailed manner exactley what is envolved in combat engineering please, this seems like what i'm intristed in, please explain what is envolved in the mos. please and thankyou

ggyoung
12-31-07, 04:02 PM
You all should have been on the old 4.2s in Vietnam. Now that was a mortar that had some teeth to it. Never a boaring moment in Vietnam. Whiskey 3/12 sent out tens of thousands of rounds. For all you boots the 4.2in mortars were 107mm. We could have 16 rounds in the air at one time from just one mortar. It was also rifled, you know as in "lands and groves".

wantfuture 0341
01-01-08, 12:39 PM
anyone please answer my question

Zulu 36
01-01-08, 02:04 PM
anyone please answer my question

Have you thoroughly searched this topic on Google and this site? A very quick Google gave me a bunch of info. Info on Army engineers is very close to what Marine engineers do.

Since this thread was originally one on mortarmen, you could always start a new one specific to combat engineers/sappers.

SgtShipley
03-21-08, 04:11 PM
I suggest you go with Engineers....
I saw combat in Vietnam as Mortarman with 3/5 and 3/1. It was a *****.. that weapon was not light and neither are the rounds.
It was made with steel and brass....heavy!

I was a crane operator with Bridge Company, 7th Engineers, Camp Pendleton,Calif. 1972-74 and it was with a great bunch of guys....with a few exceptions as always.

Go with Engineers......it looks better on a resume. I definitely am a proud Marine Mortarman and Engineer regardless. I was in in the Corps from 1970-74, so things have changed I am sure.

Engineers get to blow things up to and/or they get to call on mortars/ cannon cockers to blow it up for ya.....

Mortars can be boring in the states and sometimes in combat. Thats why we can make some great "joe". Nothing better than C-rats cooked over C-4 explosives.

It has been awhile, but the memories are still pretty sharp. Still looking for my old mortarman from the Nam. Anyone with H&S company 3/1, 1971, VietNam...give me an shout. SgtShipley

PS. Get with Ray Lancaster on this site.....he will give you more info. :thumbup:

Adam1988
03-25-08, 11:13 PM
I love being a 41, ain't nothing wrong with it aside from humps.

Also, we have skate in our blood ;)