PDA

View Full Version : Choked Out?

aust10n
12-21-07, 06:14 PM
I saw a pic on the internet of recruits in a "choke hold" position. In bootcamp do they just teach you the proper way to get into this position or do you actually choke each other out?
I read a few months ago that you can die from this. Was just curious so I asked.

Thanks,
austin

Wyoming
12-21-07, 06:35 PM
I saw a pic on the internet of recruits in a "choke hold" position. In bootcamp do they just teach you the proper way to get into this position or do you actually choke each other out?
I read a few months ago that you can die from this. Was just curious so I asked.

Thanks,
austin

The best thing to do, is simply fake a 'choke-out'. That way you just drop down and take a fall. Makes the other cruit look good. Make sure your DI is in on the deal. In fact, if he has time, he'll demonstrate for you.

zackmerc
12-21-07, 06:46 PM
Choke holds are part of basic MCMAP training. We did on the fourth week of boot camp and the ITC instructor told us to exert only 60%. So we actually did choke for about three seconds before we were told to release.

aust10n
12-21-07, 07:57 PM
Ok. I was wondering about that because I know you can actually die from this. I didn't think they would have you actaully "choke out".

SlingerDun
12-21-07, 09:04 PM
sure its similar to a cold engine on full choke, it runs for a bit then dies unless backed off or totaly disengaged

yellowwing
12-22-07, 12:27 AM
Ok. I was wondering about that because I know you can actually die from this. I didn't think they would have you actaully "choke out".
Don't worry. Safety is the primary concern in Training.

onux16
12-28-07, 06:38 AM
A blood choke forces people to pass out because it cuts the blood flow to the brain. You will learn these moves at boot camp, and like BigAl said, you might even have a Drill Instructor give you personal instruction.

Sad but true story: in MRP, we got so bored that we tried timing each other on fastest 100% choke -- 3.5 seconds is our record.

Zulu 36
12-28-07, 07:17 AM
Choke holds are considered deadly force in many police departments because of the potential of death or serious bodily harm.

Improperly applied, a choke hold can crush the windpipe. Properly applied, but held too long, it can kill - which is exactly the purpose of the choke in MCMAP. However, those reasons are exactly why so many PDs consider it deadly force.

Actually, a blood choke does not cut that much blood flow to the brain as the carorid arteries and fairly deep in the neck and the brain has other sources of blood flow. The choke prevents sufficient venous flow from leaving the brain. There are a couple of other effects that contibute, but I'll pass on explaining those. The mechanism is different, result is the same.

Goofing around with choke holds, running timed "races" to unconciousness, is stupid and asking for big time trouble.

I've used choke holds many times as a police officer (my department was a little more open to chokes then). Even morons on PCP, meth, or crack go "nighty-night" with a properly applied blood choke. However, if you are not well practiced at chokes, they are very dangerous to use as a control technique.

ZSKI
12-28-07, 10:49 AM
When we get bored we practice alot.... When your standing by to stand by there is nothing better to do then MCMAP. Don't worry about it your not gonna die in boot camp. Just remember atleast the Drill Instructors can't eat you.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-28-07, 11:14 AM
Krikey.

BTW, 'gamestop' must be a popular place to work...this is the 2nd wannabee I've seen on the forums that work there.

Moving on...there are LOTS of potentially fatal things you do in Recruit training. Why, they even have LIVE GUNS there. You s-h-o-o-t them. There are obstacles that have to be climbed, that are of some height, and their ain't no nets, so if you fall, you go "THUNK" and get a ride on a helicopter. Then, there is the swim training.

If you are going to be concerned about 'potentially fatal' things that could happen, perhaps you should re-consider your lifetime ambition to something more mundane. But even then, you could get whacked on the drive to work, hit by a meteor, or be run over by a blimp.

A short bit of dialogue from "Transformers" will perhaps put things into perspective....Have the best day ever!

Sam Witwicky (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0479471/): [to Mikaela when she doesn't want to get back in Bumblebee] Fifty years from now, when you're looking back at your life, don't you want to be able to say you had the guts to get in the car?

aust10n
12-29-07, 09:03 AM
Thanks for all the information on the choke hold. I was curious about what I saw in the picture and thought I would ask.

Yes, GameStop is a very busy place. I like 10min from ARMY Base Fort Lee so I get a lot of guys being deployed coming in for some stuff.

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-29-07, 02:47 PM
I have to ask, what kind of training would it be if you never applied the techniques? You cannot learn any martial art by reading about it or watching it being done. You have to actually do it. If you trained poorly and didn't apply the technique, then you would perform the exact same way under stress.

Simply put, you are training to be a warrior. At times that can be pretty dangerous. They are good at eliminating dangers in boot camp, but bad things do happen. Training deaths in the Marine Corps are a fact of life. Nobody likes it, but in order to train properly there are some risks.

Tooks
12-29-07, 03:31 PM
When we did it during our boot we were told to tap out when we got dizzy and were sure we were really getting choked... They wanted us to feel what its like to actually get choked so we know what to expect

MKinney
12-29-07, 09:09 PM
I practice my choke holds all the time. Getting better all the time. :)
I love the lapel choke when groundfighting, super effective.
As demonstrated in this video
http://submissions101.com/chokes6.htm

Sgt Leprechaun
12-30-07, 06:29 AM
Well said, gents. I"ve used the chokehold several times in my 'line of work' with great effectiveness. (Not allowed to use it anymore on civilians tho....don't get me started on THAT)

I also know the countermoves.

Bottom line on this topic:

"TRAIN LIKE YOU FIGHT"

Nuff said, out.

Phantom Blooper
12-30-07, 07:00 AM
I choked a girl one time......TMI!:banana:

Sgt Leprechaun
12-30-07, 07:05 AM
Ummm....I thought that was 'Your Chicken'.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

THAT..was too easy.

Phantom Blooper
12-30-07, 07:11 AM
Ummm....I thought that was 'Your Chicken'.

Oh Colonel,Oh Colonel........She said ,it was "finger lickin good!"

Sorta like bananas!:banana:

Sgt Leprechaun
12-30-07, 07:16 AM
BWADA-BING!

What in the world are YOU doin up this early on a Sunday, anyway????

I gotta be here, I'm at work....but WTF, over?

Phantom Blooper
12-30-07, 07:23 AM
0430-0500 Monday thru Sunday......regardless.:beer:

:evilgrin:

sparkie
12-30-07, 08:27 AM
Downhill she goes,,,,, Ain't we priedictable, or what? I expect to see Fist in here any time now. Next will be monkey choking stories.

Phantom Blooper
12-30-07, 08:41 AM
Dear Chili,

QUICK QUESTION.......

I just don't know whats wrong with me! I can write a serious post on a serious topic and then all of a sudden I make it go down south in an instant. I believe I was born this way, I just don't know.

Can you or any of of your advisors.....please help me? My bride says,"There isn't any help or hope for me,because I act like this all the time."

But,I live to believe that there is possibly a glimmer of hope,that will make things possible to make change in my world! Can you please help?

All Choked Up & In The Gutter

Richlands,NC:evilgrin: