PDA

View Full Version : College and the Corps

GIJoesGirl
12-20-07, 01:37 PM
Hi- I am a Marine wannabe and though I know a lot about the Corps,I still have some questions.I won't dump them all on you guys,but here's a start:

1.What about college and the Corps? How do I juggle this and how does this work out? Can I go to boot camp and college simultaneously?

2.If anyone trained at Parris Is. could you relate your experiences?

I know these questions seem a little silly,but they are honest,needing an honest answer and a no 'bs' approach.Thank you and have a good day.

SpartanMullet
12-20-07, 02:28 PM
Hi- I am a Marine wannabe and though I know a lot about the Corps,I still have some questions.I won't dump them all on you guys,but here's a start:

1.What about college and the Corps? How do I juggle this and how does this work out? Can I go to boot camp and college simultaneously?

2.If anyone trained at Parris Is. could you relate your experiences?

I know these questions seem a little silly,but they are honest,needing an honest answer and a no 'bs' approach.Thank you and have a good day.

You won't be doing anything during boot camp except for boot camp. I'm going to assume you are going active duty and not reserve. If that's the case, you must wait till after boot camp, MCT, your MOS school, before worrying about college. Once you get to the FMF, then you might be able to start taking some college classes, if you are not deployed! Good Luck.

GySgtRet
12-20-07, 02:49 PM
PLEASE fill in your profile. The admin will probably block you until you do. Please read the policy of the forum. You will find that answers will come to you a lot quicker with a complete profile. This actually helps us to answer your questions. Also, Marines are a very tight knit group and take care of their brothers and sisters, even the wannabees.

You will also find some of these answers in the poolee section.

Good luck.

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-20-07, 02:49 PM
You can start by filling out your profile and reading the rules.

edit: The Gunny beat me!

1-1Heavygunner
12-20-07, 02:53 PM
You will only do what your Drill Instructors tell you at Boot Camp, and it won't be college. Make sure you get the GI Bill and whatever other education they offer. When you get to the fleet after all your schools, go the education assistance office. They have counselors to get you started. Or back home of you are in the Reserves, Get signed up at a community college in your state of residence and take online classes. All colleges have Veterans Affairs reps. You never go to a classroom, just have to internet. Active duty should pay 100% of tuition, I think.

Parris Island is a lovely place. You will want the hell out of there as soon as you get there. After you leave, you'll wish you could go back, knowing what you know now. Have fun with it. It's like high school. You hate it while you there and later figure out it was one of the best memories you'll ever have.

GySgtRet
12-20-07, 05:29 PM
Welcome to Leathneck. And thank you for your interest in the Marine Corps. College and bootcamp are definatley two different worlds. If you are accepted into the Marine Coprs women only train at one place and that is Parris Island South Caolina. You can read more about this paridise by going to www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil (http://www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil) there you will find the duration and actual dates when training commences and adjournes. Now the college part, from what I understand you now have 100% tuition paid, but there is a catch you have to maintain a C+ or better, if I am wrong one of you young Marines pipe in and correct me. You can go to colleges while on active duty as long as it doesn't interfere with your duties as a Marine. Don't just join the Marine Corps to join, join because it is a goal or you want to serve your country. Please browse the site and see what may peak your interest.

Please let us know if there are any more questions that you may have.

Good luck.