PDA

View Full Version : Reserve Recon Questions

MrTurtl3
12-19-07, 11:23 AM
Hey there, just a couple questions about the enlistment option my friend is going through, and I might go through with him.

Anyway, my friend is trying to get me to join the buddy program with him. He is a poolee who's contract is for a reserve recon unit- 0321 Reconnaissance Man.

The only difference between me and him is he wants to stay reserve and I want to go active duty (why do a year of recon training and stay home? Just my personal opinion.)

Anyway, I still want to go through with him in the buddy program and join the reserve unit to make my parents happy, but then can I switch to active duty recon once I'm in the reserve recon unit? (Obviously that's only if I pass the training.) How long does that process take? Is volunteering for deployment easier than switching to active duty recon?

Also, my other question, what happens to reserve recon enlistees who don't make it through the training? I don't plan on that happening. But I still would like to know. I can already do a first class PFT and by the time boot camp comes around I should be okay.

Any help for my questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all.

Phantom Blooper
12-19-07, 11:49 AM
Hey There MrTurtl3,fill out your profile per the rules of this site and you may get responses.:evilgrin:

Accord
12-20-07, 07:42 PM
Hey there, just a couple questions about the enlistment option my friend is going through, and I might go through with him.

Anyway, my friend is trying to get me to join the buddy program with him. He is a poolee who's contract is for a reserve recon unit- 0321 Reconnaissance Man.

The only difference between me and him is he wants to stay reserve and I want to go active duty (why do a year of recon training and stay home? Just my personal opinion.)

Anyway, I still want to go through with him in the buddy program and join the reserve unit to make my parents happy, but then can I switch to active duty recon once I'm in the reserve recon unit? (Obviously that's only if I pass the training.) How long does that process take? Is volunteering for deployment easier than switching to active duty recon?

Also, my other question, what happens to reserve recon enlistees who don't make it through the training? I don't plan on that happening. But I still would like to know. I can already do a first class PFT and by the time boot camp comes around I should be okay.

Any help for my questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all.
Having a first class PFT and thinking you'll "be okay" just isn't going to cut it. The PFT is a joke. Can you score a 300 immediately after 12+ hours of physical and mental torture? Can you run 15 miles from Courthouse Bay to Mainside with a 95 pound ruck?

Kildars
12-20-07, 08:43 PM
Accord, is this true? You can 0321 straight outta DEP?

TSchultz
12-20-07, 09:29 PM
you can get contracted for 0321 but you still have to go through the indoc, if you don't make it I believe that you get bumped back into Infantry. I

Kildars
12-20-07, 10:03 PM
Interesting. I was under the impression you had to be nearing the end of your first enlistment.

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-20-07, 10:59 PM
No, you can contract into 0321- but you have to qualify just like everyone else. They'll give just about anybody a shot at the indoc, but few will pass it.

Accord posted about his indoc experience somewhere. It is worth reading for anyone thinking about going that direction.

Call me fish
12-21-07, 12:40 AM
There used to be an indoc, things have changed. Several marines have told me the following.

Now, if you have the 0321 contract, and you have the following qualifications, you go straight from SOI to BRC (Basic Recon Course).

As long as you have the following qualifications and the 0321 contract, you go to BRC after SOI (with a waiting period in between SOI and BRC called RMAT- Recon Marines Awaiting Training Platoon):

-Swim Qual 2
-105 GT
-1st class PFT (225)
-U.S. citizenship
-Normal color vision
-Must be eligible for secret security clearance

Swimming Ability Screening:

a. 500-meter swim, using breast and side-stroke
b. 25-meter underwater crossover
c. Rubber rifle retrieval from a depth of 12 feet
d. 3-meter tower entry
e. 30-minute water tread
f. Utility life preserver

Remember, that's just the screening to get into BRC... what happens after that, I don't know, but few make it is what I'm told.

Best of luck to all.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-21-07, 01:03 AM
The swimming ability screening will knock most wannabees out of the ring. Read Accord's posts about his efforts and go from there.

It's more than just connecting the dots and passing a PFT, I assure you.