PDA

View Full Version : If there are any parents opposed to their kids joining...

Qwarkeh
12-19-07, 11:20 AM
I strongly advise that you don't hand a typed of sheet of terms and conditions/tell your kid this:

"After you sing the final contract, you cannot visit home, call home, or write home for the rest of your life. You can email your parents to request them to send your property to you."
"If you become disabled, you have to stay at a military hospital/facility. You cannot come home, call home or write home."
"After you sign the final conntract you cannot email, call, talk to on instant messaging programs, or write to [Insert name of sibling/siblings]"

Doing that will severely backfire and cause your child to have no respect for you anymore. If anything, it will only cause him/her to look foward to duty even more. My parents pulled this card two days ago and all it did was just that. Putting everyone in even more emotional distress just makes the situation more awkward.

I apologize for ranting on here, and I thank everyone for hearing me out.

Zulu 36
12-19-07, 11:33 AM
I strongly advise that you don't hand a typed of sheet of terms and conditions/tell your kid this:

"After you sing the final contract, you cannot visit home, call home, or write home for the rest of your life. You can email your parents to request them to send your property to you."
"If you become disabled, you have to stay at a military hospital/facility. You cannot come home, call home or write home."
"After you sign the final conntract you cannot email, call, talk to on instant messaging programs, or write to [Insert name of sibling/siblings]"

Doing that will severely backfire and cause your child to have no respect for you anymore. If anything, it will only cause him/her to look foward to duty even more. My parents pulled this card two days ago and all it did was just that. Putting everyone in even more emotional distress just makes the situation more awkward.

Wow. Interesting family you have there. Sounds like a dedicated couple of ultra-liberal/anti-war types to me.

Well, I would just go with the flow and go on into the Corps. It's your life. They can't make you stop trying to communicate with them or your siblings. Sure, they can intercept letters, etc, but I'd bet your siblings won't like it. And if the siblings are over 18, your parents better be careful of intercepting their mail, even if they live in the parent's home. Kind of illegal, that.

Hang in there, kiddo. You have a family here and a real big one to join soon - with members prepared to die for you, not reject you.

JoeD
12-19-07, 01:00 PM
Yeah, that sounds like it sucks. My parents are anti-(this)war, but they would never consider giving me conditions like that, and honestly if they did, I'd give them a big f*** you and walk out to a friends house with all my stuff...

Fubar5812
12-19-07, 01:17 PM
sweet jesus! they actually wrote that out?!

what kind of parent does that to there child! how the **** would they feel if you happened to die in a combat zone.they would probably use your death as a reason to stage a protest against the war,even though they never supported you in the first place.hypocrites.

Qwarkeh
12-19-07, 01:22 PM
Thanks, and I'm currently a college student that's going to go to bootcamp right after my freshman year. It's a sucky situation but oh well, **** happens. In a few weeks I'll be in another part of the state and I'll just not contact them. I'm turning 18 on the 23rd of this month. When I get back to Syracuse, NY I'll swear in. The recruiters there deserve it for using government gas and the Corps' time on me.

Oh yeah, my brother is only 15 but there will always be instant messaging... Not to mention my brother thinks those conditions are bull****.

I look foward to earning a place in a family with values higher than oneself.

crazymjb
12-19-07, 02:34 PM
Your brother is right, that is because those conditions are bs. My parents are pretty liberal, and against this war, but they support me in whatever I want to do with my life, even if they may rather I not do it for my safety.

One of my friends was kicked out when he joined, and his father moved back to his home country. Now he has moved out of his friends house and back in with his mom, and things are calming down.

It is DISGUSTING that your own parents would say that **** to you. They will dissown you for service to your country? They want you to be alone should you be maimed or killed in a combat zone?

Good luck, and its your life not your parents, always keep that in mind. You are also entering into a family that will always be there for you.

Mike

Smitty Puffs
12-19-07, 03:03 PM
wow. that ****s FUBAR.

Shick019
12-19-07, 03:59 PM
I know what your talking about Qwarkeh. I got the whole, "You ain't joinin' the Corps!" talk from my father. He was a sailor for 22 years, finishing off at Senior Chief Petty Officer, so he's rather irate that I'm going (to attempt) to join the Corps. I just pretty much stopped listening to him now because if you get between me and my dreams, you are now the enemy.

Good luck with your push to join the Marines, if that is the service you choose (you never really said), even if your parents don't support you, many of us here will.

Mindgame
12-19-07, 06:13 PM
Hang in there, kiddo. You have a family here and a real big one to join soon - with members prepared to die for you, not reject you.

Thats one hell of a motivating sentance. Mind if I quote that?

Anyways. It is normal for parents to dissagree, and be very concerned. Escpecially in a time of war. However. I completly dissagree with they way they handled that. There is no need to completly shut you out when you are willing to do something like this. Maybe its just there way of dealing with it? Was this just recently? If so, maybe they will deal with it over time.

My father was very against it as well. His words directly out of his mouth where."NO.. You are not even going to take the ASVAB". He has calmed down alot sinced I told him I was interested, and now excepts my desicion of joining. I still thinks I am making a bad move, but he supports me either way. However. I can't live my life on what other people want. I am 22, and think this is going to be the best move I have ever, and will ever make.

Don't live how everyone else wants you to. They arn't the one's who will have to live life wondering "what if". It will be you. Do what you feel is best. Obvously there support would help motivate you, but you can't not do something because they don't want you to.

SlingerDun
12-19-07, 07:11 PM
Control freaks. Sounds like the IRS. Congratulations on taking responsibility for your actions and Major decisions, there will be many more in YOUR life and you will know how to deal with them.

A similar story: You are no longer our child, we disinherit you, you are a pariah.

Instead of being crushed and guilt ridden which was the parents mean spirited intentions for keeping the kid subdued, the response was: Our religion believes in reincarnation which makes this much easier because you did not chose me, i chose you, and now i have chosen to leave.

sparkie
12-19-07, 07:25 PM
I left home, joined the Marines at 17, and never went back. It ain't that hard to choose to be a man. God gave you time, and freedom of choice. That is yours to keep. And that is all you get. For some,,,, That is all we need.

Zulu 36
12-19-07, 07:29 PM
I left home, joined the Marines at 17, and never went back. It ain't that hard to choose to be a man. God gave you time, and freedom of choice. That is yours to keep. And that is all you get. For some,,,, That is all we need.

Psst - hey Sparkie, she's a female. :confused:

sparkie
12-19-07, 07:51 PM
Still applies,,,,, I think

drwilkinson
12-19-07, 08:09 PM

My mom is like that. She threatened to kill herself if I joined. I said, "well if you cut your wrists, it's up the street...not across". She just started bawling and said I was being unsympathic. I told her I wasn't going to fall for her dramatic bull****. I love my mom, yes. Forever? Yes. Unconditionally? **** yes. However, don't let them bully you.

I will say this...the most unsupportive parents at the beginning are the MOST SUPPORTIVE parents at the end.

best of luck.

crazymjb
12-19-07, 08:38 PM
drwilkinson brings up a good point. My grandfather was in the AF during Korea and was accepted into one of the first Jet programs. His mother said she'd kill herself if he went to flight school. He says to this day it is one of his biggest regrets. His mother lived to 106 so he said would have killed to birds with one stone which I found amusing (she called him like 15 times a day the last 16 or so years).

I forget where I heard this, but it is better to live with a mistake than a regret.

Mike

drwilkinson
12-19-07, 08:43 PM
To clarify my situation better...she never killed herself and she just pulled that to see if I would be scared enough to not sign up. I did sign up and I leave soon. She's doing better now, cries every once in awhile...but she's doing good. Still lives and breathes lol

crazymjb
12-19-07, 08:49 PM
No I understand. Just wanted to let you know that your not the first person to have that threatened against them for military service. My grandfather who heeded that threat still gets upset that he did.

Mike

HensonJ
12-19-07, 08:56 PM

Wow, sounds like my parents... to a T. My father's a Vietnam Veteran, and he totally opposes me fighting "Bush's War." I feel that sure, not everyone agrees with whats going on over in Iraq, BUT, the fact remains, as Marines and volunteers to the Armed Forces, we (me soon) work for the US Government; We follow orders the same as someone in a civilian job does, and regardless of the politics of War, we do what is expected of us, and we do our damned best to succeed. I also feel that it is, as adults, our right to express a desire to serve the Armed Forces if we should feel so, and shouldn't be forced to choose between your family and your career. This is a heartbreaking situation to be put in, but, to the people who share this situation with people like me and Qwarkeh, let me give you all something to keep you up. For everytime someone in your family puts you down for your lawful right to enlist, you will get 5 positive comments in return from people who greatly appreciate your service. It's happened to me, and as I've said before, you will not believe the amount of acceptance and support given by not only civilians, but future Brothers and Sisters of the Corps and our relatives from the other Armed Forces. To Qwarkeh, keep your head up, even though I haven't earned the title yet, I thinks it's safe to say you have a Brother in me and me and the rest of us support you greatly.

Poolee Henson (P.I 20080728/ 0311)

Qwarkeh
12-19-07, 08:59 PM
Thanks everyone for the comfort and support.

My brother recently had a talk with my parents telling them that the whole thing was ridiculous. They now called off the part where I can't contact my brother. I'm still ****ed at them for pulling this thing, but it they gave up that easily with one part of the "contract" then things will probably unwind pretty soon. My birthday, Christmas, and New Years is coming up after all...

futuremarine129
12-19-07, 10:03 PM
My parents are just like this. Oh well, when I trun 18 and sign the contract myself I'll just live with a buddy or something until I ship to MCRD. I can already see that happening now.

Brandon1
12-20-07, 01:46 PM
Well i'm calling their bluff and you should to. Parents are always like that. Mine were..Not like that but similiar. My dad said he would never talk to me again I called his bluff and we talk again today after a year or so of not. Give them time to comprehend what is going on and in the future they will come around and those "Terms" will disappear.

kelley26
12-20-07, 02:27 PM
Bro...I'm not a Marine YET...but i do know one thing... There is NO better family then the Marine Corps... be proud about your decision...atleast you got the balls to serve your country and stand up for what you believe in... yur parents are goin to regret pullin this **** one day... when they see the changes or IF they see the changes the Marine Corps made to you.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-21-07, 12:50 AM
UN bee frakin leevable.

My wife was basically told the same thing, she enlisted anyway, and made sure she got stationed on the east coast (they lived in Cali at the time) and NEVER went home again. There were other family issues I won't get into, but she didn't regret it for the most part. Her family did keep in contact, but it wasn't a good situation for the most part anyway.

Look them straight in the eye, and tell them "Fine. If that's the way you want it, I'll find my OWN family in the Marine Corps. Bite me, and goodbye."

I have no sympathy whatsoever for unpatriotic, selfish, azzholes like that. I would gladly smak them upside the head with a hubcap.

You go, girl! Be a Marine and never look back...you won't regret it for a minute!