PDA

View Full Version : Am I crazy?

marshallbrew
12-17-07, 02:46 PM
Hi everyone, I am coming here today to get some real Marine opinion on what I am thinking. I am 33 years old. I have wanted to join the Marines since high school. However, I chose to make different decisions. Don't get me wrong, I am thankful for everything that I have now. I have a great career in computers which I make $300k+/yr. I have a clearance. Family wise, I am divorced with two children, both boys. However, lately, I have been thinking about enlisting in the reserves. Financially, I would be fine while not working for a year or so. I don't know why, but I feel I must do this. For the longest time I have always wanted to be a Marine. Do I sound crazy to anyone else? I just don't want to go through life regretting not enlisting.

Please lend me your opinions.

Matt

Proffitt
12-17-07, 02:54 PM
If that's what you want....Do it.

Big Jim
12-17-07, 03:15 PM
Whatcha waitin' on...you ain't gettin any younger!!! Matter of fact, your age might be a problem...call a recruiter and get the skinny!! Good luck!!

SpartanMullet
12-17-07, 03:29 PM
you're crazy

Buckeye
12-17-07, 04:26 PM
$300k a year,and no danger...maybe you are crazy:banana:
Then again,maybe we're the crazy ones,putting our lives on the line for people that sit at home,just to become crack heads...non the less,we all need to feel like we make a difference in this world...Becoming a Marine can fill the void...and you can make a direct impact on the world!...Good luck!... it wouldn't be a lack of effort if you at least tried to get in.

BR34
12-17-07, 04:56 PM
Yea...def. crazy.

rvillac2
12-17-07, 05:02 PM
Do it. The Title can't be bought with cash. Better talk to that recruiter asap. You're close to the age limit.

SlingerDun
12-17-07, 06:03 PM
You think you know sore and fatigued from the deluxe membership available to those who make over 300k at swank fitness? After shining a seat with your pogue ass all day hehehe for god knows how many years you'll be hatin life in boot camp. Why you felt compelled to mention annual income i can only speculate but i hope they thoroughly kick and wear your ass out. :evilgrin:

--->Dave Mims

PatriotGirl422
12-17-07, 09:13 PM
Hey you live in Maryland. My boyfriend's on recruiter's assistance all week. Come up to the recruiting station and we'll try to hook you up. hehe.

yellowwing
12-17-07, 09:37 PM
Hey you live in Maryland. My boyfriend's on recruiter's assistance all week. Come up to the recruiting station and we'll try to hook you up. hehe.
...but he has to buy the coffee! :banana:

marshallbrew
12-17-07, 11:37 PM
Never said no danger. I recently returned from Iraq. I spent a few months there. I have to say, hanging out with the Marines, just made me want to join right then and there.

I want to earn the title!!!

marshallbrew
12-17-07, 11:39 PM
BTW, Thank you for the replies everyone. I'm just wondering if it's worth it? I would be giving up a lot, mostly money, at least for a while. However, I think earning the title of United States Marine would be well worth it.

Going down to the recruiters office tomorrow. At least see if he can get a waiver for my age.

jerry pattison
12-18-07, 05:51 AM
YOU CANNOT BUY THE TITLE "UNITED STATES MARINE" YOU EARN IT.

TO OBSERVE A "MARINE", IS INSPIRATIONAL.
TO BE A "MARINE",IS EXECEPTIONAL.:flag:

SEMPER-FI
SGT J.P.
USMC-RET

Covey_Rider
12-18-07, 09:52 AM
It's kind of like the red button that says "DO NOT PUSH." The question is...do you really want to spend the rest of your life wondering...

rsta
12-18-07, 07:11 PM
Life is full of "if onlys", and the older you get, the more you come up with. I personally wouldn't want to go through boot camp at 33, but then, if you want it bad enough, go for it.

Phantom Blooper
12-18-07, 07:15 PM
"if onlys"

If a frog had wings,he wouldn't bump his azz if he tryed to hop! Would he? Put on the wings and soar!

sparkie
12-18-07, 07:33 PM
If you want it,,,,,,,, Here it is,,, Come and get it,,,,,,,Make your mind up fast. If you want it,,,,,,,, Here it is,,,,They can give it,,, But you better hurry, 'cause it may not last.,,,,SF;>

grampsdw251
12-19-07, 03:24 AM
I've spent most of my life wondering what it's like to earn over 100k/year, but I wouldn't trade it for THE title. At 30+ years old you better do some serious soul searching. A lot of working out, too. Even if you are in top notch shape for your age, a good DI will help you find the end of your rope in a hurry. Go for it. Good luck. At least you'll know you tried.

Phantom Blooper
12-19-07, 07:28 AM
Crazy

Crazy for feeling so lonely

I'm crazy

Crazy for feeling so blue

Asking if your Crazy is only an answer that you or your shrink can answer!

What did the recruiter say?:evilgrin:

Sgt Leprechaun
12-21-07, 01:28 AM
If 'if's and but's' were candy and nuts, we'd all have a dandy Christmas!

That having been said, either crap, or get off the pot. Go see the recruiter and work from there.

I would, however, before doing anything else, get your affairs in order, and start by paying off everything you can, with the salary you have.

Lastly, can I trade jobs with ya?

SlingerDun
12-21-07, 03:32 PM
I'm just wondering if it's worth it? I would be giving up a lot, mostly moneyWhy not find a commando camp similar to a working dude ranch you can attend for a couple weeks like Billy Crystal and the boys on city slickers. You can test yourself and play grunt. Get vewy vewy tired. Remain dirty and sweaty and just pose for awhile. Get it out of your system. About the time you confirm that it sucks; return to the office no hearts or contracts broken, job intact.

--->Dave