PDA

View Full Version : Just my two sense

andrewjg0307
12-16-07, 09:29 PM
I've been lurking on this forum for a couple months now, and I've noticed a few things. When you Marines who are answering these sometimes outragoues questions, did you ever stop to think to not answer them. Come on, what ever happened to the suprises of boot camp. I mean the way these kids are asking questions, they'll have the 13 weeks of bootcamp already etched in their memory.
I mean some of the questions are legit, asking about different MOS's and stuff, but some of these are questions are ridicoulous. It's just my personal opionion that maybe you guys should back off on giving out all the secerets and loophools of bootcamp. Remember you never got this fine advantage, you should let us all suffer like you did.

Just my two cents in a billon dollar world.

Phantom Blooper
12-16-07, 09:47 PM
Oh Grasshopper I answer because I want to ....I answer serious and stupid questions! And I ENJOY doing it!

Have NO FEAR you will be have plenty of surprises in boot camp! And I know you state it's just your personal opinion but that is why this website was created. Opinions and Assuming I think you know the answers that they are like!

:evilgrin:

thewookie
12-16-07, 09:57 PM
I see what you're saying but there's absolutely no way you'll remember or be able to apply everything we say while you're trying to absorb and deal with the reality and culture shock of Marine Corps boot camp. However, they didn't have this type of thing back in my day so I guess too some extent you might be right and I could be wrong? But I still tend to believe that when you get to boot camp, or shortly after you've been picked-up by your primary DI's, that you have some type of epitome or something. Because from that point on in your life it's like you're starting over (isn't that a song?) but at boot camp Marine Corps indoctrine is forced down your throat in a such a violent manner that most guys forget everything and just do what and how they tell you to do, and go with your instincts to survive. I don't think you think back to leatherneck.com and some post you read, not at that point anyway, maybe a little down the road, like when your leaving the base after graduation?

You'll probably be like some guys and stand there and freeze, sh*t your pants and basically lose it before you ever begin. Some guys can read these posts all day but when they get 3 or 4, maybe 5 big mean DI's up in their junk, well you just have to go to know.

And it's not entirely a bad thing to get a little learning in you before you go, right?

You will experience it our way, and you'll never know what was coming or what hit you. They have been doing it for a while and they know to mix it up a little, anyway.

davblay
12-16-07, 11:39 PM
I've been lurking on this forum for a couple months now, and I've noticed a few things. When you Marines who are answering these sometimes outragoues questions, did you ever stop to think to not answer them. Come on, what ever happened to the suprises of boot camp. I mean the way these kids are asking questions, they'll have the 13 weeks of bootcamp already etched in their memory.
I mean some of the questions are legit, asking about different MOS's and stuff, but some of these are questions are ridicoulous. It's just my personal opionion that maybe you guys should back off on giving out all the secerets and loophools of bootcamp. Remember you never got this fine advantage, you should let us all suffer like you did.

Just my two sense in a billon dollar world.

Welcome to the site my friend. Now have you ever wished that you hadn't posted this post? I mean after all if you don't want to know some of this stuff, then why have you been reading it? I get what you're saying but I do this because I had no help when I went in! I would have given my right arm to have known some of this information before I shipped! I think the poolees are aprreciative and are greatful for our input.

As my fellow Marines have posted, you don't have time to remember what was said by whom, not until it's all over! Then you only compare, to see if we were BS'ing you or not!

That's my 2 cents!

Dave

Sgt Leprechaun
12-16-07, 11:43 PM
I answer because it's fun and I enjoy it.

Like wookie says, no amount of reading or 'book larnin' or even reading these posts here, are going to prepare someone for TD-1, or the Crucible, or anything else.

I can give you detailed instructions on riding a bike, swimming, or sex. The hows, why's, wherefores, what goes where and why...but until you are riding, swimmin, or doin the deed, it's all just talk. You get general knowledge, that's it.

In the Fleet, it's known as BTDT (Been There, Done That), got the T shirt.

yellowwing
12-17-07, 01:27 AM
There's plenty of events and circumstances that there is no way to cover. It will be up the the individual Recruits' Character. That is what we stress most.

You'll truly like it, even if it takes getting through first to appreciate it.

chili77bowl
12-17-07, 06:25 AM
I answer it because I get to be a smart azz about most of the stuff here....
And, as a Sgt of Marines, I enjoy helping those junior to me...I think I read somewhere that's what I'm supposed to be doing, and if in the process I spread a little mirth, mayhem, and general discomfort...all the better.

sparkie
12-17-07, 07:42 AM
"spread a little mirth, mayhem, and general discomfort...all the better."
I'll second that. We don't make Marines here, We make the sincere think, while p!ssing off the rest.

rktect3j
12-17-07, 08:00 AM
Honestly this is just the written word versus the actuality of those words. When my wife and I started to think about having kids we told ourselves that we KNEW it would be "hard work" and it would be tough. Everyone said so too. But those words are meaningless to describe what it is to have children. "Hard work" pfft. People with children know what I am talking about. Those without can only think its "hard work". When we tell you poolees its gonna be hard work becoming a Marine and even explain some of the things that go on at boot camp it is just a pale shadow of the truth of it all. So go in mentally prepared for everything we tell you but don't even think for one minute you got this thing in the bag. It's a world of difference.

Wyoming
12-17-07, 09:59 AM
the way these kids are asking questions

I love the way it be wrote about, these kids, coming from a 17yo poolee.

Besides, the outrageous questions are the ones not asked.

The thing that pizzes me off is when a question is raised, then 2 pages of answers are given, and the same week, here comes a newbie, or whatever, asking the same question.

search - search - search - search

That be my 2 P's.

Big Jim
12-17-07, 10:27 AM
It's the same questions just by different people...all kids! My advice to this tennager would to inform him if he doesn't like to read what we write here at Shang-ri-la to hit the bricks!! Just put one foot in front of the other and kick mud...burn it up!! Otherwise if the question doesn't pertain to anything Marine Corps...get outta my way!

"You will not laugh. You will not cry. You will learn by the numbers, I will teach you!"~GySgt. Hartman, R. Lee Ermey~ Full Metal Jacket

Proffitt
12-17-07, 10:37 AM
That's the moto for the day right there. If you don't like it, don't f-ing read it. Ooorah.:usmc:

FistFu68
12-17-07, 01:39 PM
:usmc: THE MEN WHO ANSWERED THE QUESTION FOR ME,WERE ALL RELATIVES!VETERANS OF WW11,KOREA;EARLY 'NAM.THE QUESTION THEY ASKED ME, WAS I FRIGGING CRAZY?(LMAO)!!! DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR~SEMPER~FIDELIS :usmc: :iwo:

sparkie
12-17-07, 06:24 PM
Good to see you back, Fist. Chew em up!

Buckeye
12-17-07, 06:38 PM
:evilgrin: Most of us didn't have such a luxury like this site...wish I knew about it before I went...lots of good info,from people that have been there and done that...if you don't want us to help...don't ask such stupid questions!...You are free to leave!

Phantom Blooper
12-18-07, 07:10 AM
As everybody that has answered has pretty much said that we didn't have this type of site or the INTERNET to ask stupid or smart questions to Marines that been there and done that. Speaking for myself and I know a # of Marines that signed the papers....hopped on the bus and everyone forgot about us until we earned the title.

As a poolee or a wannabee you now have the luxury of DEP'ing and meeting with a recruiter for PT sessions,knowledge, and to be given the little red book or "Green Monster" whatever it is called today. Most older Marines learned everything about boot camp when their feet hit the yellow footprints of the MCRD's....unless a family member or members were Marines. And even then the family member could not spread this much knowledge for the press of some buttons and the click of the arrow. Although that advice was some of the best!

You also have this TOOL to use. One can choose to use it wisely and read the knowledge from the generations and excel or choose to log off an hoof it or play it by ear.

I may be remiss in saying this however I think not. For five years and nine days I have been a member of www.leatherneck.com (http://www.leatherneck.com) and I would like to think that I had a small hand in helping.....not doing...or taking credit for...but helping the now numerous Marines that have crossed paths and have went on to earn the title Marine. Those that also excelled in boot camp by making company honor man,stayed a guide or squad leader for the duration or almost duration and came out wearing a stripe. Those Marines came back and sent myself and these other Marines PM's or emails and giving a Semper-Fi! and a Thanks!

Not that we want this because as stated above WE (Collectively) as a site of Marines ENJOY spreading the wealth of knowledge of thousands of years.AND AS MARINES OF ALL RANKS...THAT'S OUR JOB! Once a Marine,Always a Marine!

There are stupid questions and yes the questions are repeated a tenfold ,but for the most part the poolees and wannabees, get with the program and learn to to use this knowledge tool and take the ball and go with it full court. Some choose to take their ball and go home. Some that ask the most serious questions and that would make fine Marines are benched or put on the sick list.

We Marines are a family of MANY... not of ONE! The wealth of knowledge is here for the asking and the taking...from WW II to Iraq and the many in between. The answers that are given could be serious,humorous,stupid or sarcastic. But fear not.... ALL of answers are SINCERE !

Yes, Poolees, there are Marines that care! They exist as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Marines and www.leatherneck.com (http://www.leatherneck.com) . It would be as dreary as if there were no Poolees. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Semper-Fi!

sparkie
12-18-07, 07:18 AM
Bloop,,, Pass me a hankie.

Phantom Blooper
12-18-07, 08:39 AM
An Andrew this is not necessarily the norm......

yellowwing
12-18-07, 01:53 PM
It says something about our Poolees that they have never asked, "Where can I make the most money in bonuses?"

There are a very few Warriors walking around High School Halls just waiting for the next Challenge. And Boy-Howdy we got a Challenge for them.

Buckeye
12-18-07, 03:56 PM
It's our duty to give you poolees the knowledge that you ask for...but we can not give you the...Heart..&.determination..to get through your training.Only you can find it in yourself......

chili77bowl
12-18-07, 05:02 PM
Wow...Blooper...that was thought provoking....I hope this kid has finally got the right idea about us....and after reading that...I'll try not to tarnish our reputation as mentors with too many smart azz comments.