PDA

View Full Version : Corps' Top Enlisted visits Camp Pendleton

thedrifter
12-13-07, 10:12 AM
Corps' Top Enlisted visits Camp Pendleton
Lance Cpl. Spencer M. Hardwick

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP PENDLETON, Calif.(Dec. 11, 2007) -- The Corps’ top enlisted Marine visited Camp Pendleton Tuesday as part of a six-day tour of all Marine Corps bases on the west coast.

“I just love being back here with my Marines,” said Sgt. Maj. Carlton W. Kent, the 16th Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps, as he greeted a large group of Marines here.

Kent normally tours various Marine Corps bases in order to speak with the Marines, pass word and to view applicable training.

He spoke with Marines from various units during his visit to inform of some changes in the works. The sergeant major mentioned the possibility of dependent education benefits, selling leave, and the introduction of a combat fitness test as an addition to the current physical fitness test.

“I don’t know about you, but I’ve never seen a Marine carry a wounded Marine out of combat wearing green silkies (PT short) and sneakers,” said Kent. “We need something that can gauge our readiness in combat and that’s what this is meant for. You won’t be climbing a rope with a .50 cal., but it will prepare you.”

Kent explained that a solution to the dependents education benefits issue is currently being debated. However, he assured Marines that the commandant was pushing for the legislation to be passed.

The sergeant major also made comments regarding the new running suit that has been added to the current physical training uniform.

“The sweats we have now were old back when Chesty Puller, Dan Daly, Smedly Butler were alive,” Kent humorously explained. “It’s about time we got a new pt uniform. We asked your opinions and we did something about it. You’ll be getting them issued to you and you should be getting them within the next few months.”

Kent made a point to speak about the perceived drop in cutting scores and how he views the young noncommissioned officers.

“NCO’s are truly the backbone of our Corps,” said Kent. “If anyone ever has any doubt about what our young NCO’s are capable of, just let them witness how you perform in combat. We have young Marines and NCO’s doing great things and I have full faith in your abilities.”

While here, Kent toured K-2 Combat Town, which is currently under construction, and is scheduled to tour other various training systems that have been developed recently, such as the Infantry Immersion Trainer.

Ellie