PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting Techniques for Poolee's

Dan629
12-12-07, 10:20 PM
Hey,

I was wondering how some of you fellow Poolees go about finding others to come talk to your recruiters. I do have one referal, but that was my best friend so it wasn't too tough to go about.

I know some of you are in High School, so its a lot easier to find young men and women looking for a direction in life after school. But outside of school and friends what do you do?

Do you just approach random people and hand them your recruiters card? Make flyers and go door to door? I am really interested to see some of your techniques on getting people on the phone or in front of your recruiter.

Thanks,

Dan

DGardner
12-12-07, 10:53 PM
I personally just always am talking about the benefits the Marine Corps is going to give me. It seems like people think "If that screw-up can get all that, I can sure get a lot more out of it." So, I just always talk about it.

DGardner
12-13-07, 01:23 AM
Forgot to put this in, but...

It seems that people think if they go talk to a recruiter that they have to sign up, or the recruiter will trick them into signing up. A big part of getting people in for me, is to let them know, "hey, the recruiters just going to give you some information about the Marine Corps." Get them relaxed and trying to stop thinking of the recruiter as "The bad guy" Just trying to get them to come in is the biggest part, then after they leave I talk to them and just try to guage their reaction to the recruiter and play off it.

I always get asked why I joined, so you may have to answer that. So make sure you know how to present it.

PHILLYBOI
12-13-07, 07:07 AM
Find a real f***up or just find someone with no direction, talk to them man to man and tell what it is, if they dont agree then let them stay broke and unemployed.

Phantom Blooper
12-13-07, 07:13 AM
Go downtown Maple Leaf,NJ and offer the winos and homeless five bucks and say,"Follow Me!"

Then let the recruiter root them out.....keep doing until you get you quota!

That's Motivation and Initiative!

:evilgrin:

Quinbo
12-13-07, 07:24 AM
I was neither broke nor unemployed when I joined. A close friend called me from Reno Nv while he was on a 72 liberty after training in Bridgeport. He was telling me about skiing and riding helicoptors and stuff that was adressed in another thread as things you wish you would have done. I was all ears and went and saw a recruiter the next day.

If you can't get 5 minutes of ear time from a complete stranger you are gonna die a virgin. Don't take the door to door salesman approach. Invite them down to the RS for a PT session.

Ub3rmike
12-13-07, 04:35 PM
I got my first referral through my friend who had aspirations for military service but was in really no physical condition to be doing any. He kept telling me that he had to wait to get fit before shipping, but I eventually pushed him towards talking to my recruiter and now he's in 2nd RTBN, G Co. Plt 2155, having managed to avoid PCP at Camp Pendleton and make it into his platoon. I likewise talk to anyone who is considering military service or is on the fence between which branch to choose and tell them to talk to the recruiters.

I got my second referral by just talking to everyone at school, whether or not they were interested in a military career at all. Talking to the uninterested students still works to your advantage, because they can help you navigate social networks and find the people who might be interested. I invite everyone to PT, because even if they don't want to join or have no intention of doing so, they can tell everybody else about how us poolees are doing some physically intense training weekly.

But if anything, taking back from that 5th leadership principle in the welcome aboard package, "Set the example." Don't just strive to be the best during PT sessions, but do your best academically and adhere to a high moral standard, that way, people will look up to you and wonder how they can emulate you.

kelley26
12-13-07, 08:43 PM
Hey,

I was wondering how some of you fellow Poolees go about finding others to come talk to your recruiters. I do have one referal, but that was my best friend so it wasn't too tough to go about.

I know some of you are in High School, so its a lot easier to find young men and women looking for a direction in life after school. But outside of school and friends what do you do?

Do you just approach random people and hand them your recruiters card? Make flyers and go door to door? I am really interested to see some of your techniques on getting people on the phone or in front of your recruiter.

Thanks,

Dan

Hears what i do: I go up to random ppl who look like the appropriate age and say, "I'm Poolee Kelley with the United States Marine Corps, and I was wondering if you would be intrested in joining the Marine Corps" then I ask the age an stuff. after that if they say the right age, grade, or they are graduated I say, "have you ever considered the Marine Corps or just wanted to be a Marine" if they say no, just give them a card anyways an say, "well thanks for your time an if you need anything call this recruiter an tell him Kelley sent you, Thank you" an if they say yes say, "well i would be happy to help you get signed up or get more info on the Marines, so call this recruiter an tell him Kelley sent you" then ask, "do you have any questions for me or about the Marines" an usually if they say yes i end up talking to them an end up bein their friend usually, an driving them so they can join. just simple crap like that most important, DON'T GET ON PPL's NERVES! hope this helps!

LeonardLawrence
12-14-07, 03:30 AM
DON'T GET ON PPL's NERVES!

Great advice!

Tiny90
12-15-07, 06:01 PM
Hears what i do: I go up to random ppl who look like the appropriate age and say, "I'm Poolee Kelley with the United States Marine Corps, and I was wondering if you would be intrested in joining the Marine Corps" then I ask the age an stuff. after that if they say the right age, grade, or they are graduated I say, "have you ever considered the Marine Corps or just wanted to be a Marine" if they say no, just give them a card anyways an say, "well thanks for your time an if you need anything call this recruiter an tell him Kelley sent you, Thank you" an if they say yes say, "well i would be happy to help you get signed up or get more info on the Marines, so call this recruiter an tell him Kelley sent you" then ask, "do you have any questions for me or about the Marines" an usually if they say yes i end up talking to them an end up bein their friend usually, an driving them so they can join. just simple crap like that most important, DON'T GET ON PPL's NERVES! hope this helps!

are you serious?

i just puff out my chest, walk up to them a little stiff, hold out the card and in a deep voice say "Join the Corps. It's good for you!"

jk.

most of the 2 people ive recruited are friends. But the best way to start a conversation is to wear your Poolee shirt to the Mall. especially in elevators, the questions roll in...i guess a red shirt with faded gold writing looks official?

Adikt916
12-15-07, 06:06 PM
are you serious?
i guess a red shirt with faded gold writing looks official?

If it says Marines it's official :marine:

Tiny90
12-15-07, 06:09 PM
If it says Marines it's official :marine:

Ya, its Official i spent 12 hours hurrying up and waiting at Meps! lol.

but the shirts to draw attention, especially since you cant buy them anywhere.

Adikt916
12-15-07, 06:11 PM
Yah. It's a good tatic. That's fer sure.

We earned our shirts though, having to sit around with a bunch of grumpy ass civilians, actin like bosses. Having to sit in a room to do our physicals and stuff when the **** ranks of BO for a couple hours, almost but naked in a cold ass room. Then you get your balls played with by some old dude with an almost petaphile look on his face while he does it. Definantly earned that shirt lmao.

It's definantly not some Army ****, like a free back pack or Go Army.com shirt just for thinking about it.

Tiny90
12-15-07, 06:18 PM
haha, did you go to meps in LA? i got the old black doctor for the nuts check, he was cool, but a lil strange, and the old white guy was racist as hell, lol, anyone that wasnt white would come out white as a ghost and had their eardrums blasted out from his yelling. poor guys.

Adikt916
12-15-07, 06:29 PM
Nah I went to the one in Sacramento.

My doctor was kool though, he was nice to me becuase he was German and my last name is German.

RockSteady85
12-15-07, 06:30 PM
Yah. It's a good tatic. That's fer sure.

We earned our shirts though, having to sit around with a bunch of grumpy ass civilians, actin like bosses. Having to sit in a room to do our physicals and stuff when the **** ranks of BO for a couple hours, almost but naked in a cold ass room. Then you get your balls played with by some old dude with an almost petaphile look on his face while he does it. Definantly earned that shirt lmao.

It's definantly not some Army ****, like a free back pack or Go Army.com shirt just for thinking about it.

Hey, that's kind of like what us ladies have to go through. I remember when I had to go through all of that I had some Polynesian doctor whom you could literally not understand a word she ever said and you were required to strip down to nothing and wear this sexy paper gown. The doctor has to look up your cooch for like five minutes straight after she fondles your boobs. I walked out of there feeling so violated LOL.

Tiny90
12-15-07, 06:34 PM
Hey, that's kind of like what us ladies have to go through. I remember when I had to go through all of that I had some Polynesian doctor whom you could literally not understand a word she ever said and you were required to strip down to nothing and wear this sexy paper gown. The doctor has to look up your cooch for like five minutes straight after she fondles your boobs. I walked out of there feeling so violated LOL.

before MEPS :yes:

after Meps :no:

HAHAHA, ya we all got violated in that building.

i think the **** test was the worst for me. i was stuck on the end (nearest the guy watching) with a Urinal made for a 5 year old and im 6'7"... not cool.

Adikt916
12-15-07, 06:35 PM
We had to bend over right infront of the doctor, spread our cheeks and lift our sacks like some Dave Chappell **** hahah

I think that was more embarrasing than getting my package felt up....

LMAO TINY!!! I was closet to the guy watching also, with the baby urinal and I am 6 foot. I couldn't do it the first time, I looked out of the corner of my eye and saw him leanin over on his chair, starin straight at my ****, and he was like: back up, and put your hand down. I was like wtf, I can't do this and walked out. Later someone else was doing it thank god, and wasn't starin at my dick the entire time. So I took it easily.

Tiny90
12-15-07, 07:21 PM
haha. There was actually two watching us, the guy that takes it and tests it and an Army guy just watching.... He was to busy laughin at my little predicament to be checkin me out.

btw, im in the chat if anyone wants to join, lol.

Adikt916
12-15-07, 07:57 PM
How do you join chat? :nerd:

RockSteady85
12-15-07, 08:14 PM
Upper right corner where it says locator. classifieds, et cetera...there's a link for the chat too. Try that :-)

MichaelWied
12-16-07, 02:52 AM
Start off with some small talk. If you're outside walking into the store, and you see a good looking canidate, and they're smoking and you do too, light one up and just talk. I love goin' out to stores and finding people that look as though they hate their job (if you pay attention they stick out like a soar thumb). Then just walk in and say something like "Don't look too excited to be here haha." "Look around" for a little bit, have a small conversation then hit'em with it. I don't wear my uniform or anything that says Marine Corps on it, although sometimes that's a good ice breaker. Finally always be closing, get their name and number, don't just give out a card. Hope that helped.

Adikt916
12-16-07, 11:34 AM
Upper right corner where it says locator. classifieds, et cetera...there's a link for the chat too. Try that :-)

Thank You Holly. ;)

KevinR90
12-20-07, 09:31 AM
I must live in a bad spot, because I went through all my friends super fast, gave their names and numbers to my recruiter (i'm assuming they all just said no becuase they're all planning on going to college). Then I start to ask people I know but don't really hang out with, they don't want to even get more information, and they don't know anyone who might want more information.

I always phrase it something like this: "Do you know anyone who isn't sure what they want to do after high school or if they're going to college?" Answer: "No" I always phrase in a way that it's just for more information and it's just to talk to the recruiter, but eveyone just automatically says no. It's like they've all been indoctrinated to hate the military. I only know one girl who want to join the navy, and a junior who wants to join the national guard (kinda strange, but he's too young anyway. I guess he just doesn't want active duty- but reserves wouldn't do it for him either).

So i'm having major issues getting people to even give me their names and numbers. Then there's the fact that i'm not exactly a super social dude (i do have friends) and I can't just go up to complete strangers in the cafeteria or something and start up a conversation.

I was all excited about trying to get people, but i've realized it's almost impossible. Maybe i just need to get out of the school, because most likely by now if you were thinking of the military you would have joined by now.

I hate not being able to get even one referral. Maybe I have issues.....

kelley26
12-20-07, 02:46 PM
I must live in a bad spot, because I went through all my friends super fast, gave their names and numbers to my recruiter (i'm assuming they all just said no becuase they're all planning on going to college). Then I start to ask people I know but don't really hang out with, they don't want to even get more information, and they don't know anyone who might want more information.

I always phrase it something like this: "Do you know anyone who isn't sure what they want to do after high school or if they're going to college?" Answer: "No" I always phrase in a way that it's just for more information and it's just to talk to the recruiter, but eveyone just automatically says no. It's like they've all been indoctrinated to hate the military. I only know one girl who want to join the navy, and a junior who wants to join the national guard (kinda strange, but he's too young anyway. I guess he just doesn't want active duty- but reserves wouldn't do it for him either).

So i'm having major issues getting people to even give me their names and numbers. Then there's the fact that i'm not exactly a super social dude (i do have friends) and I can't just go up to complete strangers in the cafeteria or something and start up a conversation.

I was all excited about trying to get people, but i've realized it's almost impossible. Maybe i just need to get out of the school, because most likely by now if you were thinking of the military you would have joined by now.

I hate not being able to get even one referral. Maybe I have issues.....

Sounds like to me you live in a pussy place...just keep trying man somebody in the pussy place will eventually step up to the plate... Don't give up cause MARINES don't give up an thats what we are trying to be right, RIGHT?!...an if you give up on just tryin to get referals then your goin to really give up at basic training... just stay strong an motovated, you seem like to me you are pretty pumped up.. so keep it that way!Stay moto bro :)

jungholee90
12-22-07, 04:07 AM
Hehe, I have two referrals so far and I have 6 more months to go! Both are my friends and one is actually going with me in Buddy Program.

I've tried to refer people other than my friends and this is how I did: When I joined I got all the Marine Corps stuff (shirts, lanyards, key chains, wristbands, stickers) from the office and I carried them around school. People then ask me if I am going to Marine Corps and ask why. You need to be sure why you are joining in order to tell others about it. And also like it was mentioned, I tell them that recruiters are not going to push them to join and that it is their ultimate decision whether or not to join. I tell them basic information what my recruiter told me and if possible I call my recruiter on the spot and make them talk to him.
I bring them to PT before letting them talk to my recruiter so that they get motivated a bit before going into serious talk.

Also all recruiters at my RSS told me that if I help a "wannabe" pass ASVAB so that he can enlist in DEP that I can get the referall. I am like the unofficial tutor in the RSS hahaha. I am good at math, so I've met up and helped several people, and that's how I got my first referral (in addition to him being my friend).

Bullpup
02-13-08, 10:17 PM
I still don't have any guys but I recently asked my recruiter if I could go with himto try and find people. He sorta "showed me the ropes" as it were. Now I just look around for young guys walking out of school or baggers at the grocery store. I very nicely hand them a card and say "Don't say the Marines never gave you anything" as a way to break the ice. Thats got me 6 names so far but none have enlisted yet.

BlindZeal08
02-13-08, 10:33 PM
LOL "Don't say the Marines never gave you anything"....

I like that, I'ma have to steal it :angel:

KevinR90
02-14-08, 01:30 PM
i suppose it's a good it's an okay ice breaker. After my initial "This is hard, no one in my school wants to even talk to the recruiter, i'm never going to get a refferal" i've cooled off. I realized just how hard it is. sometimes after pt a bunch of us poolees go out to a mall or something and try to get names/numbers for my recruiter.

It's the hardest thing i've ever done in my life- just walking up to a complete stranger and starting to talk about their future- which to some people is kinda personal. But when you get a name/number from someone who's interested it's an awesome feeling. You may have just helped them out. I haven't yet gotten anyone that joined but I have until August to get some people so I have plently of time and i've realized getting two refferals can be done.

Besides, getting my recruiter a name makes him happy- especially in these "dead" months.

Bullpup
02-14-08, 04:40 PM
I'm with you on that KevinR90. It can be done if we work at it. Yeah, BlindZeal08 feel free to use that line. Just as long as your not in Tucson, Arizona. I would hate to use it if they had already heard it before.

skaterjon89
02-14-08, 06:34 PM
when I tutor and they dep in I get those as referal points.

Jbthomp
02-18-08, 05:17 PM
It would probably help if I had the awesome red t-shirt.

Did I go through MEPS just like everyone else? Yep.
Did I get a shirt? Did anyone from my RSS get a shirt that day? Nope.

KevinR90
02-18-08, 06:09 PM
It would probably help if I had the awesome red t-shirt.

Did I go through MEPS just like everyone else? Yep.
Did I get a shirt? Did anyone from my RSS get a shirt that day? Nope.

aw- that's too bad. I'd keep asking for it- I love mine. Or you could just go buy some of your own. I've seen some nice ones with that cool quote: "Pain is weakness leaving the body"

DEAVILA
02-18-08, 08:58 PM
Hey,

Thanks,

Dan

My recruiter an I would Set up tables outside the Metro stations and would talk to people and stuff..He would make me wear my Poolee shirt..To represent the Corps..and he'd give me some of the Stickers to hand out...and well..When I would see someone about the right age..I would go up them..(they usually thought i was hitting on them or something)...and i would be like...
"Hey man..whats up?...Have you ever received any type of information on the Marine Corps..?..
there usual response.."yeah..some stuff in the mail?"..
my response:
"Well..what did u think about it?"..
them:
"ahh its alright..Not really interested"
Me:
"Hey man..WHy not?..."
them..
"I DONT WANNA DIE"
Me:
"DUDE..U LIVE IN THE GHETTO SOUTH CENTRAL..LOS ANGELES..DRIVE BYS..GANGS AND DRUGS EVERYWHERE..U NEVER KNOW WHAT CAN HAPPEN.."..
"THE MARINE CORPS..WILL OFFER U MANY WONDERFUL THINGS..THEY WILL TEACH YOU HOW TO BE A WARRIOR..U CAN TRAVEL AROUND THE WORLD..MEET NEW PEOPLE..AND VISTI PLACES YOU WOULD HAVE NEVER VISITED IF YOU WERE A CIVILIAN..
Them:
"yeah..I guess..But..I dont wanna go to war"
Me:
"im not saying you wont go to war..But im not saying that You Will either..It all depends on your Job...The Marine Corps is what You make of it.."
"DUDE..Let me have Ur name and Number..and I'll send u some More info in the mail."

They give me their Info. I give it to my recruiter..and they do the rest..thats how i got 2 of my refferals..hehehehe;)

Wyoming
02-18-08, 09:17 PM
Deavila, do they really have hoods and ghettos and stuff in LA?

Just kidding, me, a big white boy, I lived in Compton in '70.

Try that on for size.

All of this is one of the reasons I love in Wyoming.

gnarkill04
02-18-08, 09:18 PM
Should be pretty easy for me when I enlist even though it'll be pointless. I'm going to community college to pick up PFC so the referrals won't be necessary but if you go to college you could probably get a lot of people there if you just rep Marines stuff all the time. I'll probably refer some people even though I dont need to just to help my recruiter out, haha.

DEAVILA
02-19-08, 10:12 PM
Deavila, do they really have hoods and ghettos and stuff in LA?

Just kidding, me, a big white boy, I lived in Compton in '70.

Try that on for size.

All of this is one of the reasons I love in Wyoming.

Hell Yeah we do,..Creeps..Bloods..etc..Theres this huge gang in my block..but, for some reason they don't do any bad stuff here..I mean..They Tag on the walls but thats pretty much it..I hate walking by their house though...They always try to talk to me..and they always go up to my Little Brother..and ask him "where you from homie?''...So it sucks..But it isn't as bad as other Neightborhoods..Believe me..lol

DEAVILA
02-19-08, 10:14 PM
One More thing...JAFORG...I already have my 15 college credits..So i will be getting promoted to Pfc..and I also have my 2 referrals...So it doesn't really matter which one i use..I just keep referring people to my recruiter..

gnarkill04
02-19-08, 10:21 PM
Lucky you. I wish I had either to be promoted. Just want the responsability. But I decided to not do the college thing and just go straight to enlistment.

BlindZeal08
02-19-08, 10:44 PM
Creeps....Did you mean Crips?

Jbthomp
02-19-08, 11:14 PM
One More thing...JAFORG...I already have my 15 college credits..So i will be getting promoted to Pfc..and I also have my 2 referrals...So it doesn't really matter which one i use..I just keep referring people to my recruiter..

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that on top of what you've already got, if you get another referral during your 10 day leave after boot you make LCpl.

Ub3rmike
02-20-08, 10:53 AM
Since my I'm the only one who'll be getting PFC for referrals at my RSS, I'll be heading out with some of the newer poolees to help them go around the mall and a law enforcement center to get people interested in the Corps.

If anything, just hanging out at the RSS tutoring people has really augmented my abilities to get people interested. While tutoring, I've heard both a couple of Gunnery Sergeants and my RSS commander giving evaluations and constructive criticisms to our newer recruiters.

Some things I've picked out:
1. Strike the balance between being too passive and too aggressive (Short of the hard sale)
2. Avoid bad verbal habits. An identified problem is someone who fails to enunciate, and repeats a certain word over and over agin ("Well /man/"). It's usually result of being nervous/uncomfortable with speaking. It should disappear the moment talking with others becomes second nature and you know exactly what you're going to say.
3. If they're deadset on college or are already college students who are vehemently against the enlisted experince, refer them to whoever the nearest OSO is and just get them interested in the NROTC scholarship or PLC/OCC.
4. Take advantge of the fact that most people are still up in the air about what they want to do in life. Ask any poolee here what they want to do, and we can all say that we are deadset on becoming Marines. The guys "lowest" on the totempole so to speak will often sprinkle "I /probably/ will get a degree in so or so" or "I /kind of/ want to get a job in X field" Always counter with "Really? You don't sound so sure with those *key words and phrases*" just make it clear that you're offering an oppertunity that can do something for their lives.

And just as I put in my previous post, live by Ductus Exemplo. If you dominate everyone else in the civilian life, whether it be school or your current job in physical prowess, knowledge, or leadership capabilities, people will invaribly want to know how you got so motivted to be like that.

gnarkill04
02-20-08, 04:00 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that on top of what you've already got, if you get another referral during your 10 day leave after boot you make LCpl.

Yup.