PDA

View Full Version : Army vs. Marine Corps.

Douglas from PA
12-10-07, 11:08 PM
Not to start a fight, which this might, but why would the Army consider granting a waiver if you have over two children and the Marines wont? Just curious, that's all. Oh, a little suprised to see the Marines offering a $20,000.00 enlistment bonus for Reservist ( http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marinebonuses/a/maresenlbonus.html) site. My MOS would me 3531.

thewookie
12-10-07, 11:10 PM
We don't want your kids we want warriors, the Army wants bodies.

Douglas from PA
12-10-07, 11:18 PM
More of a statement, but ok. But, eventually Marines do actually get married and have families with children. I'm a Marine Brat. Father served for 11yrs and had only 2 kids though, but anyway, besides rank, is there any other difference between joining the Marines with kids then having kids afterwords? Plus, I thought all branches were on the same side?

thewookie
12-10-07, 11:23 PM
More of a statement, but ok. But, eventually Marines do actually get married and have families with children. I'm a Marine Brat. Father served for 11yrs and had only 2 kids though, but anyway, besides rank, is there any other difference between joining the Marines with kids then having kids afterwords? Plus, I thought all branches were on the same side?

OK, what wasn't understandable there? I thought that statement answered your question, isn't that what you wanted or do you want more? OK, The Army wants bodies, they'll take them any way they can get them. The Marines want warriors, we want warriors. Understand?

Douglas from PA
12-10-07, 11:27 PM
I understand that the Marines want the best of the best, but parents can be warriors to, a single person isn't the only type of person that can be a warrior.
That's all I'm trying to say here.

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-10-07, 11:29 PM
You are correct, they do eventually get married and have families. But, that doesn't usually happen to a PFC. Usually by the time a Marine is able to have three kids they would be an NCO at the very least.

I don't think you understand how difficult it is on the family of a Marine. There is a reason that divorce rates are so high among junior enlisted people. Being gone for long periods of time, being poor, and the stress of never knowing what is going to happen next takes its toll on people. Not to mention with 3 kids and you on deployment, your wife will have her hands full.

Clearly you disagree with the position the Marine Corps has taken. However, there is sound reasoning for it. General Mundy (former Commandant) had a policy that you couldn't have any dependents when you enlisted.

To the Commandant, Gen. Carl E. Mundy Jr., and the rest of the Marine high command, the new policy had seemed a simple personnel matter: avert the dissolution of young families put under pressure by the travel demands of Marine life, and improve the re-enlistment rate among marines who are completing their initial period of enlistment. Astonishment Among Civilians
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F0CE7D9173EF930A2575BC0A9659582 60&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all

Like it or not, having a family makes it difficult for you to be the Marine that the Marine Corps needs.

thewookie
12-10-07, 11:31 PM
but why would the Army consider granting a waiver if you have over two children and the Marines wont? Just curious

Doug, I answered your question did I not? You didn't ask why the Marines don't stop you from having kids once you're in, you asked before correct? The Marines would rather have a bunch of p*ss drinking, fire breathing single young Marines to carry on the fight, the Army wants bodies. Does that help? I have no doubt that a parent can do the same, but the focus is different, our primary focus is to fight and win.

Douglas from PA
12-10-07, 11:35 PM
Ok, thanks. Guess that means I just can't be a Marine, won't take anymore of your time and sorry for taking the time that I did.

Thanks

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-10-07, 11:38 PM
No need to apologize- it is just the rules we have in place. You do seem to be giving up pretty quickly for something you want so badly. What happened to your plan to go as a reservist.

thewookie
12-10-07, 11:43 PM
Ok, thanks. Guess that means I just can't be a Marine, won't take anymore of your time and sorry for taking the time that I did.

Thanks

I think E4B said it best when he said that you do not understand how difficult it is to be a young married Marine. You're not wasting my time, I just didn't give you the answer you wanted. Being a young married Marine is a tough job, we want you focused on the fight. It's nothing personal, many Marines are married with kids and they do fine, but it's a difficult life to get used to. So starting out we don't usually make waivers for it.

Douglas from PA
12-10-07, 11:46 PM
I thought of being a Mairne since I saw my fathers officer sword for the first time. To hold it, to know what it meant! I loved being a USMC brat-and getting the chance that no other kid would get. I remember being on-base with him and his flight buddies, him showing my his chopper (heuy) and sitting in it. It was amazing. I mean, how many kids are born in Jacksonville, N.C. and then live in Mission Veijo, CA? Ever since the unfortunate family reason which caused his early retirement, its been different, too different at times. I wanted to give my kids the same opportunity that I had. To see other places, meet new people, and see some amazing stuff. I know reservists travel and are deployed, I have no problem with that and my wife understands that. But I would still be stuck here in this little town, that isn't the best place for my family. Being a reservist with an active duty heart maybe to hard for me, I as looking forward to an acitve duty life, that's all.

Thanks for your time.

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-11-07, 12:42 AM
If you want out of the town then get out of the town. You don't need the Marine Corps to do that. In fact, you could go looking for the MOS you want in the reserves- one that will allow you to also have the civilian job that you want to have. Then, in the future, it may work out for you to go active duty. If not, you will still have earned the title of Marine- which is something you would never regret.