PDA

View Full Version : ship weight?

Tiny90
12-02-07, 08:25 PM
when i went to MEPS in september they wieghed me at 213lbs. they said as long as i was over 151 and under 250 i was fine. but now i weigh 231lbs... are they expecting me to still be 213lbs when i get to boot? (hopefully ill be up to around 240 by then). i dont want to work at getting in shape and gaining wieght just to have it backfire and my entry be delayed or put in PCP.

HurricaneRJ
12-02-07, 08:33 PM
I'm in the same exact situation.

I DEP'ed in at 225.

My shipweight is 213.

As long as your %5 (10lbs) above/below your ship weight, then you can goto boot camp without a waiver.

I'm 220 right now. So I'll be disqualified by the medics at MEPS but cleared to go to Parris Island regardless of what they say. But not to get your recruiters ****ed at you. Just work on loosing a couple lbs and never dance around the weight as I have. It's frustrating.

My recruiter will be ****ed I won't be at 213. I've been sitting in a sauna for the past couple of days. it's not fun, I'm weak and damn near tired. Showing up to PI in a weak state won't do you any good. As for Parris Island is concerned. I've been told I will draw special attention as a fatbody and wear some red thing.

Tiny90
12-02-07, 08:47 PM
im not talkin about bein a fatbody. ive just recently been able to put on wieght. im around 16% bodyfat and been skinny all my life, i went from 6'4" 165lbs my freshman year in HS to 6'6" and 205 my sophomore, now im 6'7" and 231. i ship July 7th '08 after HS graduation and im hoping to be able to put on moe wieght without gettin burned for it later. and im not taking any suppliments to gain either.

how tall are you Rj?

HurricaneRJ
12-02-07, 08:50 PM
I'm (as of right now) 73.5 in. But I have to make weight as 72.25.

As long as your within your ship-weight standards than your good to go. But they won't measure you by bodyfat% at MEPS. So try not to get above your max weight.

Tiny90
12-02-07, 08:54 PM
so the 250 thing still stands? its no tlike they expect me to be the same as back in september?

btw, good luck on losing those lbs, and good luck in boot RJ, i saw u leave tomorrow.

HurricaneRJ
12-02-07, 08:58 PM
They're only expecting you to be within weight. That is it.

RockSteady85
12-02-07, 09:27 PM
Hey Raymon, I got a question for you (or someone who may know this) - I am at 187 right now, and my max weight to ship in two weeks in 177, but my recruiter wants me at 175. Now I am doing my damnedest to get there, but what if I were like 2 or 3 pounds over that when I go to MEPS on the day I am supposed to ship? Would they still let me ship or what? I was at 175 when I DEPped in, and I lost 9 pounds in 36 hours to get there, although it was in a very unhealthy way. I ate nothing for two days straight, I took an industrial strength water pill my Mum managed to smuggle from her work at a hospital, and I did cardio PT for three hours straight for three days in a row prior to going to MEPS. But, of course, after that, I gained it all back, and then some. I gained a bit more back because I had a family member of mine die just a few days prior to my original ship date of 20071113 as well as having an ex of mine stalk me that I had to get a restraining order against, and all that incredible stress in the span of just three days made me gain a few pounds, although when I am stressed like that I eat rather little. Just wondering, because you know how us ladies can be - our weight is like a yo-yo sometimes LOL.

Tiny90
12-02-07, 09:38 PM
well Holly,

when i was there in september a guy goin into the Army was overwieght and they did the measuring thing to find his fat% and he was over in that too but they still let him ship the next monday. he may have been on reduced rations or put in a seperat platoon for conditioning, but he still went. im trying to avoid reduced rations (hell, i want double, lol) and being put in PCP.

RockSteady85
12-02-07, 09:46 PM
Hey Chris...thanks for the input. I know some people get shipped out overweight, because I have a friend who is a kill hat over at MCRD San Diego and he tells me all the goings on over there LOL. But the recruiters at my RSS are making it like a do-or-die situation, like I either lose the weight or I don't go. I do NOT want that to happen, you have no idea. I know it's their job to get me going on all of this, but sometimes I feel like they are also partially saying that just to have me ship because they NEED me to ship, you know what I mean? I just wanted to ask here and get some unbiased information from others. I passed my IST so I don't think I would get put in the PCP, so if I do indeed ship despite being a bit over my ship weight I would be put on half rations, which is okay, because it would really be less than a week before I lost the weight LOL. I am working like a madwoman towards losing the weight (about 12 pounds), but I of course worry about it and the possibility of not being able to ship, and just that idea stresses me out like crazy LOL.

Tiny90
12-02-07, 09:58 PM
i passed the IST no problem yesterday too, so i guess PCP isnt going to be a problem for me. i just been feeling better with more wieght on. ill probably lose in boot too but oh-well.

are you doing PT everyday? ask your recruiter and others in the office if they offer PT during the week. my office does it every tuesday (optional), wednesday (optional) and saturday (mandatory). i think there going to do it on thursdays here soon as well. its easier for me to run 2 miles or more with them on my ass, than by myself when i can stop and rest whenever i want.

RockSteady85
12-02-07, 10:07 PM
Oh, I go to PT every...single...day at my RSS, Monday through Friday, and sometimes Saturday as well if they can stand to see my ugly mug another day after 5 days straight LOL :-P I go for about two hours of PT with my recruiter, the SSgt., and he works me hardcore. It's tough, but I put on my game face and put out because I know it will help me lose the weight and get in even better form for boot, so I actually appreciate that he does that and gives me individualised PT for me. I am also doing a 1500 calorie a day diet. I may reduce it to 1200 or 1000 calories a day in a few days because I feel like things are getting down to the wire. I just wonder if I happen to go to MEPS the 17th to ship and I end up being like 3 pounds over if I can still ship or what. I asked that question at my RSS and the only reply I got was, "Well just lose the weight and you won't have to worry about it!" and nothing else. I mean, well yeah, I know that and I am most definitely working towards that, but I just want to know as like an "insurance policy" type of thing, if that makes sense LOL.

Tiny90
12-02-07, 10:17 PM
honestly, i think they'll let you ship regardless. your papers are signed, you passed the IST and have been working your ass off everyday. they may not even put you on half rations, but then again they might.

idk, havnt been there, but im sure your recruiter wont let you stay a day past your ship date.

HurricaneRJ
12-02-07, 10:42 PM
Like I said beforehand.

If your within 10lbs. then you have no problem.

I think recruiters get punished in someway, sending an overweight recruit.

My recruiter will be ****ed I'm not 213lbs. But my NCOIC said just be under 223. In which I am.

RockSteady85
12-02-07, 10:55 PM
Ahhh, well that would make sense if my recruiter got some sort of punishment for sending me a bit over my max ship weight. I know that the SgtMaj of our RS has been really bad mouthing my recruiter to other recruiters all over the state (which I think is a really sh*tty thing to do, kind of unprofessional in my opinion, but oh well LOL) because he has not met mission until the day I DEPped in when he got two more people along with me in the DEP. So I know he surely feels the pressure. I have be at 177, which is my max weight that I need to be at. I'm at 187 right now, and I have two weeks left. I would need to lose 6 pounds a week to make sure I make it under, but that's pretty unhealthy and might take away from my performance on the IST if I go about this unhealthily. I will do my best without sacrificing that, so that's where my concern comes from with possibly being like 2 or 3 pounds over. Thank you for the information Raymon, I appreciate it immensely, especially taking the time to reply to me the night before you are supposed to ship. Good luck man! :-)

HurricaneRJ
12-03-07, 12:04 AM
Just sit in the sauna for 20 minuetes at a time, with a trash bag. Don't drink water, drink gatorade, to put electrolytes back into your system, so you could function.
You be as strong, but you can pass the IST.

crazymjb
12-03-07, 12:24 AM
A kid from my RSS, now a recruit, who I went up with (he was a shipper I was physing) was sent home because he was 1lb over, one other kid was as well.

My understanding is that there is a weight waiver for an additional 5-10% or something.

Mike

HurricaneRJ
12-03-07, 01:31 AM
5% doesn't require a waiver. It's only 10lbs.
10% requires your CO's approval. It's often a rare case when one is given.

RockSteady85
12-03-07, 01:37 AM
That's awesome RJ, thank you for that info on the 5%/10% deal. I had a feeling you would know the lowdown when it came to all of that when I couldn't find it out. I appreciate it. Good luck with trying to get to 213 if you can by tomorrow. Even if you are at the 213 - 223 you need to be to ship, it should melt right off at boot within like the first actual week of training LOL. Good luck!