PDA

View Full Version : Reenlistment question

FloridaStudent
12-01-07, 09:55 PM
Okay, this does not quite classify as a veteran thing because I am not a Marine, so I am asking it here.

Please bear with me, I am going to make this as short as possible without losing any valuable details.

February 21, 2006 I arrived on Parris Island MCRD and was placed in Echo Co, 2nd Bat, Platoon 2033. Sometime at the end of Phase 1 I got really bad bronchitis and had to go to the bat aid station. They gave me 2 pills and I went back to my squadbay, problem solved. The bronchitis was gone two days later when I went for a checkup.

Soon after we started Phase 2 and went for swim qual. I passed all swim quals fine through level 2. I was not infantry so did not have to take one. On the day for swim qual 2 I was one of the first recruits in the pool. Due to this I had to sit in the pool and wait for the rest of the recruits in the water and it was freezing cold. My body temperature dropped I don't know how much, but it dropped.

Anyway, I finished swim qual, got dried off and dressed and went back to the squadbay. Everything was fine, but the following morning when I woke up the bronchitis was back with a vengance and my Senior DI sent me to Bat Med again. This time they thought that it could be something else and started asking me about asthma. I never had asthma and that is what I said when they asked. So, they dropped me from my platoon and sent me to EHP because they said that it was going to turn into pneumonia(sp?).

My Senior was ****ed and he kept me for 3 more days while he tried to figure out a way to stop me from being dropped to EHP. Eventually he had me pack everything and sent me away. Before I left for EHP I talked to him in his office. He told me that he could name 10 recruits all of which he would gladly trade for just me. So I went to EHP.

Once in EHP they did tests on me to see if I had any oxygen problems that could be attributed to asthma or pneumonia. They decided that I was fine as far as currently goes, but the Docs at Medical talked to me and were asking if I had a history of Asthma which I did and do not. They were not convinced because of my bronchitis that I had which I tried to explain was because of the pool. (Hell, I only weighed about 140-145 when I left, and was only 125 when I arrived and I am 5' 11".
) Anyway, they brought some paperwork to me to sign giving pernission for them to get my CMR's.

I knew that there was no history of bronchitis or asthma, but I had not mentioned when I joined that I was on ritalin at one time for ADHD, which I believe was a mis-diagnosis, as do other doctors I have spoken to. (I had not mentioned the ritalin and gotten a waiver when I joined because I was on a time crunch for the start of the college semester. I was going reserves and had to be out by a certain time for classes) So, instead of spending 3 weeks waiting for the paperwork to come in and having them find out that I hid the truth (Lied if you must) I just told them the truth and asked if I could still get a waiver. They said that I would have to go to MHU and gave me a chit to go there the following day. When I got to MHU I sat in a room and waited for hours of course - like everywhere else on PI - and eventually got to see someone. I told them the truth too and they told me that I had made a big mistake and that I could not get a waiver. They confirmed the ritalin thing and dropped me to RSP within a week.

While in RSP I saw my old Senior DI and talked with him. He told me to take care of what I had to and come back to earn the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor to become the Marine he knew I should be.

My separation was JDA1 with a reenlistment of RE-3P. I know that RE-3P makes me ineligible for joining the Officers program. I plan on going Reserves.

I have two questions.

1) What do I have to do to rejoin and get my Eagle Globe and Anchor

2) What Waiver form or waiver would I need?

3) Would a letter of recomendation from my old Senior DI help my cause?

4) How could I contact my old Senior DI?

5) If I reenlist in the Reserves is there a chance at me going to OCS somewhere down the line? I will have my bachelors degree within 2 yrs.

Thanks for any help in this matter.

(I wish I could call myself one of you, but I have yet to earn that title!)
:iwo:

Zulu 36
12-01-07, 10:09 PM
First things first. Read the site rules and stickies, then post your profile. Once those are done, someone might be able to answer your questions.

DIBLO7
12-01-07, 10:45 PM
Got lots to say, but you got to fill out your profile first..

BR34
12-01-07, 11:36 PM
I have two questions.

1) What do I have to do to rejoin and get my Eagle Globe and Anchor

2) What Waiver form or waiver would I need?

3) Would a letter of recomendation from my old Senior DI help my cause?

4) How could I contact my old Senior DI?

5) If I reenlist in the Reserves is there a chance at me going to OCS somewhere down the line? I will have my bachelors degree within 2 yrs.

You actually have 5 questions, and I know who can answer them all. Contact a recruiter!

FloridaStudent
12-01-07, 11:57 PM
Well, first off. I never saw a place for rules and stickies or I would have read them. I looked around for the answers to my questions but did not find them.

As for the profile, I was not aware that it had to be filled out to ask a question, nor that there even was a profile to fill out. I am obviously new to this board.

And yes, five questions. I copied my text before I sent it the first time and then after fixed the two to five, but the error caused me to have to post it again and I did not fix the error the second time by accident. I apologize.

As for a recruiter, yes I need to find one, but most recruiters wont talk to anyone with a dd214 unless they are prior service recruiters, at least that is my understanding...

I did email a prior service recruiter a few days ago, but they have not gotten back with me.

I was sinply hoping for some help and a few answers from somone that might know.

Sorry.

FloridaStudent
12-02-07, 12:03 AM
****Profile Updated****

DIBLO7
12-02-07, 11:41 PM
First off, your RE-3P is for failure to meet physical/medical standards. The following is strait out of the Separations Manual:

Recommended by CO upon removal of
disqualifying factor. SRB entry
required stating reason for
assignment. Individual Marine must
sign SRB entry. CMC authority

required for reenlistment.

I dont know what your page 11 says, but you signed one, and it should have said something about that CMC authority for reenlistment.

So, to answer your first question, you would need to get a CMC level recommendation to get back in the Marine Corps.

For your second question, I don't know exactly what the waiver says, but the recruiter (best bet would be the prior service one) does. Thats his job.

Question 3 (of 2...), I don't suppose a letter from your SDI would hurt, but I don't really think it would help either. Honestly, how much did you SDI know you, what could he really say other than "SNM worked real hard before he got dropped in week X." Just my opinion though.

4. As far as contacting your SDI, through my magical admin powers I could probably figure out an email or something for you, but I'd have to give him your contact information so he could contact you if he so desires. HOWEVER, all bets are off if all you have is a last name and its something like Smith. PM me with what you have if you want to go that route.

5. If you get your degree I don't see why you wouldn't be able to go to the Darkside, assuming your physically qualified. I don't know anything about the reserves though so I don't want to pass you any bum scoop.

Hope that helps.

SSgt Ramsey
04-03-09, 03:20 PM
Until that RE-3P issue is resolved and determined as non-conflicting with Active Duty, you will NOT be able to reenlist. There are no waivers that I'm aware of that would apply to you as you aren't protected by Title 10 with over 18 years of service.

The code JDA is for fraudulant entry, so I'm assuming they think that you were aware of this condition prior to enlisting and failed to mention it at MEPS or upon arrival at the Depot.

As far as the Recruiter/Prior-Service Recruiter, they are bound by certain regs themselves and don't want to overstep themselves risking punitive action, and you can't blame them.

The only thing I could do with Marine's wanting to leave Active Duty was to provide the contact sheet w/the applicable RE code and send them off to the prior service recruiter, but they couldn't do anything officially until the Marine was "off contract" with the Reserves.

mrbjj
03-25-13, 11:40 AM
You can request a reenlistment code change from the U.S. Navy UMED Board! Their number is 703 681 9025. You will need medical documentation to support your claim that you are now fit for duty! This can be done through a private doctor or the VA. I recommend going through a private doctor. You will need to get a new reenlistment code of RE-1 or RE-1A. Semper FI

Lisa 23
03-25-13, 11:46 AM
mrbjj, you do realize that this thread hasn't been posted in in a little over 5 years.....