PDA

View Full Version : Help

LouisFromMaine
11-29-07, 02:46 PM
I am joining the United States Marine Corps this june after my high school graduation and was lookig for some advice to get prepared (mentally, physically, and nutritanly) and I figured this would be the best place to find it. Thank you all some much for the help I appreciate it greatly..

bucksgted
11-29-07, 03:44 PM
I am joining the United States Marine Corps this june after my high school graduation and was lookig for some advice to get prepared (mentally, physically, and nutritanly) and I figured this would be the best place to find it. Thank you all some much for the help I appreciate it greatly..
Louis, before someone jumps your case, follow the rules and fill out your profile. You'll get all the help you'll need to prepare yourself for Our Beloved Corps!! First things first, however.

Ed

Crusader20
11-29-07, 03:58 PM
Louis,
I

LouisFromMaine
11-29-07, 03:58 PM
Thank you...

Crusader20
11-29-07, 04:10 PM
SOrry i messed up something before hand.

now where was i. start off by making sure that this is really what you want. This isn't some "club" that you think you will like but if you don't you can leave at anytime. Once you have made that committment to yourself, that will help you start off the mental part.
Start your expercise program now. The more that you run and do push ups now the better off you will be later.
The next part will be to attend any and all your Poolee functions with the recuriter. They are good at giving you an idea of what to expect. Talk to any of the newly graduate Marines when they come home on leave.
Fleet is totaly different that boot. Now that there is a difference.
Other wise, sit down shut up and hold on. You'll love the ride!

LouisFromMaine
11-29-07, 04:15 PM
Crusader20,

Thank you for the advice, I appreciate you taking time to answer my question.

Crusader20
11-29-07, 04:24 PM
you will be fine. Seriously, you will look back on this and think, what was i worried about.

What is your MOS (job) that you are thinking about getting into?

LouisFromMaine
11-29-07, 04:29 PM
Something in aviation...like a calibration tech or something working on planes.

bucksgted
11-29-07, 04:53 PM
Something in aviation...like a calibration tech or something working on planes.
Go for it, Louis!! If you are physically and mentally prepared for boot camp, it will be the most ball busting, fun thing you have ever encountered. As you chat or read with the newly minted Marines in here, you'll realize that everything has a reason - - even if the only reason is to prove to you that you aren't as tough as you may think.

One thing about being a Winger, you're still a Marine (with all that the Title implies) AND you get to fix/work on all kinds of neat, high tech stuff. To this day, I cherish my experiences in the Corps and having been a Winger.

LouisFromMaine
11-29-07, 04:56 PM
Thank you BuckSgtEd, I appreciate the encouragment..

Now for a question how should I prepare physically for bootcamp and the challenges there and what about diet..? Thanks again

bucksgted
11-29-07, 05:01 PM
Thank you BuckSgtEd, I appreciate the encouragment..

Now for a question how should I prepare physically for bootcamp and the challenges there and what about diet..? Thanks again
Research the Poolee threads. There are some OUTSTANDINIG POSTS there. Talk to the folks at your RSS. Based on their observations of your current "state of fitness", they will be able to make recommendations for you as well. Just remember, if you are motivated to make it happen, you will find everyone here and at your RSS motivated to assist you.

You'll just have to PT till we get tired!!:banana:

LouisFromMaine
11-29-07, 05:02 PM
Thanks....:yes:

gutinstinct
11-29-07, 05:45 PM
Louis. Like Bucksgted, I to am a former winger. Just remember this, the Marine Corps can pull you out of your MOS and stick a weapon in you hand anytime they want. Your a Marine first. I just wanted to let you no this in case the recruiter hasn't informed you as such. Make sure you really want to become a Marine. It's not a game. You can't change the rules if you don't like them. Make sure it's what YOU want. As far as boot camp. START NOW !!!! Do not go into boot camp unprepared. Start the running and push ups. What ever happens in boot camp will be some of the best memories of your life. It might not seem like it at the time. If you make it tru boot camp and earn the title Marine you will understand what all of us on this board are talking/writing about. I just wanted to give you my two cents worth. Good luck & NEVER QUIT.

LouisFromMaine
11-29-07, 05:47 PM
Thank you gutinstinct. I appreciate the advice..

Marine84
11-29-07, 06:00 PM
You'll just have to PT till we get tired!!:banana:

LOL!

And remember damned near EVERY excercise you do is in 4 count - situps - start flat on your back..........up (1) down (2) up again (3) down again (1) - next set will be 1,2,3,2...........get it?

gutinstinct
11-29-07, 06:05 PM
Marine84, I forgot all about them counts, LMAO.

LouisFromMaine
11-29-07, 08:53 PM
LOL!

And remember damned near EVERY excercise you do is in 4 count - situps - start flat on your back..........up (1) down (2) up again (3) down again (1) - next set will be 1,2,3,2...........get it?

Yeah.. Thanks for the help....

Marine84
11-29-07, 08:57 PM
where do you think the phrase "2 for 1" came from? LOL

LouisFromMaine
11-29-07, 09:10 PM
Any tips on rifle qual..?

bucksgted
11-29-07, 09:50 PM
Any tips on rifle qual..?
Yeppers!! Louis, it's waaaaaay to soon to be concerning yourself with rifle quals. I don't want you to think that I'm giving you a "short, no answer", but this is the only way I know how to say it.

You will be taught, by the best there is( a United States Marine), EVERYTHING you need to know about shooting for qualification in boot camp. All you have to do is listen, observe and then perform. It really is that simple and basic. I am not trying to BS you.

Before I went to basic, my firearm experience was with my Pop's old double barrel shotgun and my Daisy Red Ryder. I qualified Expert cause I paid attention and had a lot of help from Marines. BTW, those things learned in 1956 with an M1 still apply today; sight picture, breath control, and squeeze the trigger like your girlfriend's breast.

LouisFromMaine
11-29-07, 09:53 PM
Thanks again Bucksgted....I guess I ask alot of questions cause I have wanted to join The United States Marine Corps for four years now and if I get sent home I will never live it down...Just gotta make sure I make it..

bucksgted
11-29-07, 10:11 PM
Thanks again Bucksgted....I guess I ask alot of questions cause I have wanted to join The United States Marine Corps for four years now and if I get sent home I will never live it down...Just gotta make sure I make it..
Don't worry about asking questions when you can't find the answers yourself. Having said that, let me say this again. There are some outstanding posts in the Poolee forums. Key word search them and if you don't find what you're looking for, ask away. Just don't be upset if someone busts your chops for not doing your own research. The Corps is all about teamwork, but someone has to step up and lead - -might as well be you starting now.

LouisFromMaine
11-29-07, 11:43 PM
Alright...Thanks again for all the help BuckSgtEd...I suppose this is where I stop asking and stat looking...

bucksgted
11-30-07, 03:47 PM
Alright...Thanks again for all the help BuckSgtEd...I suppose this is where I stop asking and stat looking...
In no way am I suggesting that you quit asking, but like you said, I'm encourging you to research. In the process of looking for a specific answer, you will encounter all kinds of "goodies" that will make you say "damn, I didn't know that!!" Don't know about you, but as an example, when I'm looking up a word, I often spend "extra" time just looking at the strange words I encounter in the process. LOL

SpartanMullet
11-30-07, 07:30 PM
good luck in bootcamp. when you get to the fleet, you might want to take the Spelling for Marines MCI.

sparkie
11-30-07, 07:43 PM
At least he got Moorenes right. ...I think.

truckee0911
12-03-07, 07:30 PM
Gents Ive just been a spectator here up to now so bear with me.
Louis you've got plenty of time to prepare yourself but start now. Get yourself a really good pair of shoes and start running. Dont worry too much about speed but concentrate more on endurance, speed will come. If you have a gym membership use it. A circuit style workout would probably suit you best, higher reps lower weights. You want to be lean rather than big. Pay attention to the lat machine and try to do a set of crunches between excersises. Rest, let your body repair itself. Take a day or two off from working out during the week and let the muscle heal, thats how it develops. You can actualy overtrain and end up either not making progress or even losing a little strength. That happened to me. Eat a high protien low carb diet. Unless its fish try not to eat anything white. The better shape your in going in the less stress your going to have. And for Gods sake dont drink anything the day before you leave for bootcamp. Trust me, it wasnt fun.
As far as rifle qual goes listen to your PMI. We had some guys who qualified expert who had never held a rifle before. At this time getting in condition is what you need to worry about now but if you want a head start get a decent .22 rifle and start plinking. Thats if your in the country. If your in town a good air rifle will serve as well and with a pellet trap you can shoot indoors. I wore out a pellet rifle and put a couple of thousand rounds into the woodpile with a 22 and I ended up series high shooter. But I listened to my PMI too.

sparkie
12-03-07, 07:46 PM
"Eat a high protien low carb diet. Unless its fish try not to eat anything white. "
Yea, I did that for a while. She was tastey.

truckee0911
12-03-07, 07:53 PM
Aww c'mon...and here I was trying to be all serious and s**t. LOL. Didnt even notice, my double entendres are usualy single intenders

sparkie
12-03-07, 08:29 PM
Leave it up to me to dig up the useless blatherings,,,,,,,, Need any help, let me know.

LouisFromMaine
12-04-07, 10:36 PM
Thanks everyone I appreciate all of your advice....

LouisFromMaine
12-04-07, 10:45 PM
good luck in bootcamp. when you get to the fleet, you might want to take the Spelling for Marines MCI.

Explain Please...I guess I missed it..? What was mispelled...?

bucksgted
12-04-07, 11:10 PM
Thanks everyone I appreciate all of your advice....
Good to see you still around, Louis! I trust you are finding your way around the threads by now.

Get busy on your PT!! I haven't even broken a sweat yet!!

WheelerLT
12-04-07, 11:16 PM
Louis,

If you want a decent insight into what boot camp is like, check out 'Ears, open. Eyes, click'.

There are some clips of it available on the net. Don't let it scare you, though. Boot camp can be one of the best experiences of your life.

Good Luck!

LouisFromMaine
12-05-07, 02:51 AM
Good to see you still around, Louis! I trust you are finding your way around the threads by now.

Get busy on your PT!! I haven't even broken a sweat yet!!

Yes sir, I have been reading alot and learning even more.. Started my running, working on building up my endurancing.... :thumbup:

LouisFromMaine
12-05-07, 02:56 AM
Louis,

If you want a decent insight into what boot camp is like, check out 'Ears, open. Eyes, click'.

There are some clips of it available on the net. Don't let it scare you, though. Boot camp can be one of the best experiences of your life.

Good Luck!

Thanks...

grampsdw251
12-05-07, 02:56 AM
Gents Ive just been a spectator here up to now so bear with me.
Louis you've got plenty of time to prepare yourself but start now. Get yourself a really good pair of shoes and start running. Dont worry too much about speed but concentrate more on endurance, speed will come. If you have a gym membership use it. A circuit style workout would probably suit you best, higher reps lower weights. You want to be lean rather than big. Pay attention to the lat machine and try to do a set of crunches between excersises. Rest, let your body repair itself. Take a day or two off from working out during the week and let the muscle heal, thats how it develops. You can actualy overtrain and end up either not making progress or even losing a little strength. That happened to me. Eat a high protien low carb diet. Unless its fish try not to eat anything white. The better shape your in going in the less stress your going to have. And for Gods sake dont drink anything the day before you leave for bootcamp. Trust me, it wasnt fun.
As far as rifle qual goes listen to your PMI. We had some guys who qualified expert who had never held a rifle before. At this time getting in condition is what you need to worry about now but if you want a head start get a decent .22 rifle and start plinking. Thats if your in the country. If your in town a good air rifle will serve as well and with a pellet trap you can shoot indoors. I wore out a pellet rifle and put a couple of thousand rounds into the woodpile with a 22 and I ended up series high shooter. But I listened to my PMI too.

Great advice all the way around. Louis, every Marine on this board was pretty much in your shoes at one time. Don't waste too much time putting the cart before the horse and jammin' your head full of 'what if's. As far as shooting goes, if you listen to your instructor you will probably be as good as you want to be. I grew up with a gun in my hand and thought I knew about all there was to know about shooting. I had to UNlearn a few things I had always done and apply what the instructor taught. My shooting earned me PFC out of boot. If memory serves me, the next highest shooter was a guy from Boston who had never fired a gun of any kind. He LISTENED. He too was ****in' his pants worring about the rifle range. Training will be provided. You just bring a 'can do' attitude and determination. You'll be fine.

LouisFromMaine
12-05-07, 02:59 AM
Great advice all the way around. Louis, every Marine on this board was pretty much in your shoes at one time. Don't waste too much time putting the cart before the horse and jammin' your head full of 'what if's. As far as shooting goes, if you listen to your instructor you will probably be as good as you want to be. I grew up with a gun in my hand and thought I knew about all there was to know about shooting. I had to UNlearn a few things I had always done and apply what the instructor taught. My shooting earned me PFC out of boot. If memory serves me, the next highest shooter was a guy from Boston who had never fired a gun of any kind. He LISTENED. He too was ****in' his pants worring about the rifle range. Training will be provided. You just bring a 'can do' attitude and determination. You'll be fine.

I appreciate the motovation and encouragment that you Marines are giving me....It is truly helping me with my mindset and attitude..