PDA

View Full Version : Getting married after boot camp

mcneelyben
11-29-07, 01:36 PM
If I plan to get married after boot camp, or maybe even after I finish my Avionics MOS school, would I have to let my recruiter know to get paper work done now, or do I need to wait until I'm actually married to do all that? I heard that if you don't put that in your contract before you go, that your spouse and you can't come with you to your duty station or whatever. is this true? thanks.

Proffitt
11-29-07, 01:40 PM
If I were you....I would wait until all your schooling is over with. I know that might be hard leaving her behind for a year, but....it'll be a good test for you guys' relationship. As for the paperwork, I'm not really sure. I don't think the recruiter needs to know anything, unless you're already married..which you're not.

Echo_Four_Bravo
11-29-07, 01:41 PM
Wait until after your MOS school. Being a geo-bachelor isn't a good thing at times.

You can tell the recruiter you're getting married if you want- but there isn't really anything he can do. Honestly, your S-1 shop will be able to take care of you quickly once you do get married.

Zulu 36
11-29-07, 02:24 PM
Call me old fashioned, but I wouldn't advise getting married at all until you were at least a sergeant. Hell, I waited until I was 27, a civilian cop, and an E-6 in the Air Guard.

But then again, I married a gal who was an E-3 in the Coast Guard. However, with my income added to hers, plus BAH, we had no money issues.
When she made E-5 we were rolling in high cotton then baby. :D

killerinstinct
11-29-07, 03:25 PM
best thing is to wait till you get your orders than tell your command you are planning on getting married during some kind of leave. It wont really do anything while you are in school as far as moving places etc she cant come live with you.

Just wait and ask for leave to marry her after you reach the fleet. Thats when the two of you are able to do the whole lovey dovey thing.

usmcfan02
11-29-07, 03:45 PM
Just my 2 cents. I would go so far as to say wait till you have a deployment under your belt. Also too, as a young enlisted Marine/Sailor you do not make a whole heck of a lot of money and living out in town can be expensive. Granted you get a housing allowance, in many areas where I lived it sometimes would not even cover rent. Also on deployment, you make a crap ton of money and depending on where you go you make even more (ie haz. duty, tax free, sea pay, ect, ect) it can really add up. Good luck with your decision, but don't rush anything, you have plenty of time to get through boot, get through school, get yourself settled then go ahead and get married. Also too as a side note, don't plan on getting married anytime while in training it has been my expierence, that you will not get leave when your in a training command enviroment.

Best of luck

SlingerDun
11-29-07, 04:10 PM
Sure let your recruiter know. He'll probably advise against it like everybody else. Is this the girl that got scrubbed out of basic training? If so why do you assume she would be willing to follow you around the same Marine Corps she couldn't handle? It could create lasting animosity and tension making your tour(s) miserable, and do you want to pack a ball and chain non-hacker around from place to place? What if you get stationed somewhere she doesn't like? she just might quit you and the Corps again. Life is far from easy for a single income non-rate military couple. If you need to keep an eye on her, thats not marriage its property ownership

--->Dave

Crusader20
11-29-07, 04:30 PM
Wait until after your MOS school. Being a geo-bachelor isn't a good thing at times.

You can tell the recruiter you're getting married if you want- but there isn't really anything he can do. Honestly, your S-1 shop will be able to take care of you quickly once you do get married.

I would have to agree. Wait until you get to your primary duty station. But then i would even wait more. More than likely you will be placed into a unit that is gearing up for deployment. Do you really want a new wife sitting around the house with nothing to do and no one to talk to for a deployment? There are some not some honest Marines that will take advantage of the situation. If they smell blood in the water...........:cool:

Speaking from experience. :cry:

Proffitt
11-30-07, 11:14 AM
That is the freakin' truth right there. They should be whipped. ha.

SpartanMullet
11-30-07, 12:48 PM
Call me old fashioned, but I wouldn't advise getting married at all until you were at least a sergeant. Hell, I waited until I was 27, a civilian cop, and an E-6 in the Air Guard.

But then again, I married a gal who was an E-3 in the Coast Guard. However, with my income added to hers, plus BAH, we had no money issues.
When she made E-5 we were rolling in high cotton then baby. :D

I agree, wait! You would not believe how many young Marines have terrible or failed marriages. In my shop alone their were 3 failed marriages and one fake marriage (for the money). I was always told if the Marine Corps wanted you to have a wife, they would issue you one!